Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

There's a Bay Area thread? poo poo, thought we were just all over on BARF or something.

d3ma is a noob in San Mateo with a white 2014 Ninja 300 ABS (casually for sale) and a black/red 2013 Triumph Street Triple R.

Commute between San Mateo and SoMA on 101 during the week. Get one or two rides in the mountains during the weekend.

Doing a big SoCal road trip later this week. Eight days. Down the coast. Palomar. Angeles Crest. Yosemite. Sonora Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dema posted:

Sonora Pass

You're gonna love this, I guarantee it. One of my best motorcycle memories is chasing daylight down the Sonora Pass during a 1 day bomb back from SLC on a fly and ride for a Speed Triple.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

dema posted:

There's a Bay Area thread? poo poo, thought we were just all over on BARF or something.

d3ma is a noob in San Mateo with a white 2014 Ninja 300 ABS (casually for sale) and a black/red 2013 Triumph Street Triple R.

Commute between San Mateo and SoMA on 101 during the week. Get one or two rides in the mountains during the weekend.

Doing a big SoCal road trip later this week. Eight days. Down the coast. Palomar. Angeles Crest. Yosemite. Sonora Pass.

Got more info about that Ninja for sale? I have a friend in need of a vehicle since his car was just totaled today.

I spent the last year commuting to San Mateo on a zrx. Worst loving drivers in the world. Some fun little roads though.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 28, 2016

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Ninja 300 FS thread: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498576

Z3n posted:

You're gonna love this, I guarantee it. One of my best motorcycle memories is chasing daylight down the Sonora Pass during a 1 day bomb back from SLC on a fly and ride for a Speed Triple.

Excellent.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

dema posted:

Hey cool - I don't post in CA a lot but I live down underneath Angeles Crest so if you want any tips on this or wind up needing tools when you're in the area PM me :)

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo
I was taken down by a girl in a Saturn on Wednesday. The damage to the bike is mostly cosmetic aside from the shifter pedal/bracket breaking off and a broken toe. Waiting for insurance to sort the whole thing out now. It happened on 101S directly under the San Thomas / Montague Expwy overpass ~1645 .

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hammers posted:

I was taken down by a girl in a Saturn on Wednesday. The damage to the bike is mostly cosmetic aside from the shifter pedal/bracket breaking off and a broken toe. Waiting for insurance to sort the whole thing out now. It happened on 101S directly under the San Thomas / Montague Expwy overpass ~1645 .

That's real loving lovely, but at least you aint dead.

Also its summer and that means new people are reporting to base. One of them has a Green ZRX. Dunno what year but its so pretty.....

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

poo poo, man. I am glad the damage to your person seems relatively minor. Recover well!

Did she merge into you or what?

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo

pokie posted:

poo poo, man. I am glad the damage to your person seems relatively minor. Recover well!

Did she merge into you or what?

Yup. I was only 2 car lengths behind her when she tried to move from lane 1 to lane 2. I hit the brakes but there just wasn't enough room to stop in time. Still a pretty low speed crash thankfully, which is why I wasn't hurt too bad.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hey cool - I don't post in CA a lot but I live down underneath Angeles Crest so if you want any tips on this or wind up needing tools when you're in the area PM me :)

Sonora Pass was fantastic, but Angeles Crest was the highlight. Did it early Tuesday morning and had it all to myself.

Bunch of photos from the trip here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/milliron/albums/72157669722970180

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Glad you had a great trip :)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for sharing, Dema. Nice striple.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone ride over in the East Bay today? Alice's / 82 / San Gregorio was a poo poo show that I bailed out of right quick.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I managed to slip between the traffic on a visit from Oaktown to Boulder Creek. Also strapped a massive 34 inch monitor to my passenger seat and chased down other riders on skyline on the way home. :v:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hwy 9 was pretty chill in the early morning - I took my new Brutale for its first spin in the twisties after spending last morning getting the tools to install frame sliders.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I rode SJ <--> Pleasanton Monday and Tuesday, commuting. Jesus, it was hotter going 70 on 680 than it was standing still when I rode home around 6. I don't think I've ever ridden in 104 degree heat before. It was only for a few miles though; nice otherwise.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah, that commute sucks unless you leave late - I rode from P. hill to Santa Clara at 7:30 on Wednesday and it was empty.

I took the long way to SF today by going on 9 to 35 to 92 etc. It was fun. Only saw one car on all of 35.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

I took the long way to SF today by going on 9 to 35 to 92 etc. It was fun. Only saw one car on all of 35.

Yeah, I do that some mornings. But starting at Pagemill. No better way to start a day.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Yeah, I do that some mornings. But starting at Pagemill. No better way to start a day.

North end of Pagemill? I came down that way to 35 in a car once, and it seemed pretty tough - tight blind corners everywhere. How fast do you go on this road?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I run concord >> SF and back daily. 40F temp swings is normal. Bike doesnt care, but daaamn my old man joints hate it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This morning I and a buddy went down 9 to Santa Cruz and back up 1, 92, 35. 1 was covered with fog and cold as gently caress. I did not expect to need cold weather gloves. Some hot chocolate in Half Moon Bay helped :].

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mark Twain: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

It drives me insane. I wake up here in the city and it's like living in a cloud. Misty, cold and overcast 24 hours a day in the summer. Yesterday I rode down to San Jose, and as soon as you hit Stanford it's suddenly hot and sunny again. Rode back up around midnight and the whole south bay was pleasantly warm, then again blam, reach the Crystal Springs reservoir and it's cold and clammy fog and mist all the way home. Blech.

I tend to stay on the inside of the bay late at night if possible (i.e. take the 101 rather than 280) because it's so much warmer on the east side of the mountains.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Mark Twain: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

It drives me insane. I wake up here in the city and it's like living in a cloud. Misty, cold and overcast 24 hours a day in the summer. Yesterday I rode down to San Jose, and as soon as you hit Stanford it's suddenly hot and sunny again. Rode back up around midnight and the whole south bay was pleasantly warm, then again blam, reach the Crystal Springs reservoir and it's cold and clammy fog and mist all the way home. Blech.

I tend to stay on the inside of the bay late at night if possible (i.e. take the 101 rather than 280) because it's so much warmer on the east side of the mountains.

Yuuuuuup. Mission resident, Cupertino worker here.

When I told other riders that I was moving to the Bay area, it was all "wow that's a great place to ride!" and in reality you have to carry two sets of gear with you and it takes an hour and a half to get anywhere that isn't swarming with people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NeuralSpark posted:

When I told other riders that I was moving to the Bay area, it was all "wow that's a great place to ride!" and in reality you have to carry two sets of gear with you and it takes an hour and a half to get anywhere that isn't swarming with people.

I bought a loving Alpinestars Tech Touring jacket because I commuted from San Jose to San Mateo on 101. 40 degree temperature swings, plus riding through that Bay chill in Winter.

I switched to 280 for the scenery, and it is worth the extra ten minutes just to enjoy that highway. gently caress 101. I'm never using it again.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I switched to 280 for the scenery, and it is worth the extra ten minutes just to enjoy that highway. gently caress 101. I'm never using it again.

:same:

Cool poo poo up at Alice's this afternoon:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I think that's the best possible use for a V-Max.

I was at Alice's yesterday, but via car because my parents were in town and I wanted to show my dad the scene. Some dude dropped by with a Hemi-swapped Sprite and once he popped the hood it was like he blew the Old Duffer Summoning Conch Shell because my dad and five other early 70's dudes beelined to check it out. It was hilarious.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

Yeah, I'm San Mateo/SoMA. It's all warm, sunny and happy when I take my pup for a walk. Five minutes into my ride to work, freezing death fog.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Skywood Trading Post repainted their parking lot. I'm not sure if it's a good thing:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skywood gets super pissy about people parking there and going to Alice's. They've had signs up all over the place about it for years...now I guess they're going to start calling the cops.

Their loss.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Skywood gets super pissy about people parking there and going to Alice's. They've had signs up all over the place about it for years...now I guess they're going to start calling the cops.

Their loss.

I've eaten at Alice's once and didn't think it was very good, however STP's breakfast burritos are delicious.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Hermsgervørden has just been reunited with his CB400F after it was stolen last August from it's home on the streets of San Francisco. If Hermsgervørden can go on one decent ride a week, he will be super happy. He is looking for a cheap garage in Dogpatch or Potrero Hill to prevent future thefts.

Oh it feels good to be riding again. Today I am headed out on a shakedown. O'Hanlon's got most of the egregious damage worked out, but not my horn. The thief butchered the electrical system to hotwire it. Not being able to beep at dicks is a disability. Likely need a new wiring harness and I have to save up for that. Not to mention, I need new mirrors a new seat and I have to get the hideous rattleshit paint off. Gonna have to save up for all that.

Today I will probably do skyline to Alice's.

Edit: phone posting and I have no idea what's up with this formatting. I will fix it at home later.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, horns are easy to wire up. Honestly all you need is 12v straight from the battery, through a button, through the horn, back to ground. Unless the wiring harness is seriously destroyed I bet you can splice some new wires into whatever's left.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hermsgervørden posted:

Oh it feels good to be riding again. Today I am headed out on a shakedown. O'Hanlon's got most of the egregious damage worked out, but not my horn. The thief butchered the electrical system to hotwire it. Not being able to beep at dicks is a disability. Likely need a new wiring harness and I have to save up for that. Not to mention, I need new mirrors a new seat and I have to get the hideous rattleshit paint off. Gonna have to save up for all that.

Come to Z3n's wrench day next weekend. we'll get you properly fixed up. I'll bring the electrical goodies. goof-off or acetone should take care of spraycan. I think I'm outta generic mirrors, but I'll check later this week at the shop..

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, horns are easy to wire up. Honestly all you need is 12v straight from the battery, through a button, through the horn, back to ground. Unless the wiring harness is seriously destroyed I bet you can splice some new wires into whatever's left.

I got my horn and fan mixed up when I did my radiator swap. *bike gets hot* BLAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Chichevache posted:

I got my horn and fan mixed up when I did my radiator swap. *bike gets hot* BLAAAAAAAAAAAA

Amazing.

cursedshitbox posted:

Come to Z3n's wrench day next weekend. we'll get you properly fixed up. I'll bring the electrical goodies. goof-off or acetone should take care of spraycan. I think I'm outta generic mirrors, but I'll check later this week at the shop..

Is this a thing? Which day? Z3n would you mind if I roll up? Have I made clear that I possess the mechanical acuity of a root vegetable?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I am basically a shaved ape and z3n showed my how to do a valve clearance check, you're in good hands

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hermsgervørden posted:

Amazing.

Is this a thing? Which day? Z3n would you mind if I roll up? Have I made clear that I possess the mechanical acuity of a root vegetable?

around 10am saturday. Got clearance before I made the last post too. You're fine, I remember you from the last one :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ya all is good. If anyone else wants to drop in, PM me for address. There's only room for one shitlord in my garage and that's me so please don't show up if you're incapable of rising above your nature. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Boo, one of these days I'll get to meet up with the rest of you folks but this weekend is freaking packed.

Would have been perfect, too. I left the DRZ sit for more than a week so it's running like poo poo again. I just need to get it cleaned out so I can get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

Ya all is good. If anyone else wants to drop in, PM me for address. There's only room for one shitlord in my garage and that's me so please don't show up if you're incapable of rising above your nature. :)

I would love to come by and say hello. Don't have PMs. ---

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 12, 2016