Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Welcome! Get a supermoto and join uusssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

hey!! so I'm new to the area, moved here this past weekend. if the rain isn't too bad tomorrow I was thinking I might go out and ride around, maybe check out PCH or whatever else. would be super stoked to have some riding friends out here!!

if the weather sucks tomorrow and the rest of the week like it's forecast to, definitely some Saturday in the near future! :sun:

Hi. Where are you located? I will probably ride again tomorrow...

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

oh yes I plan to very soon!!

pokie posted:

Hi. Where are you located? I will probably ride again tomorrow...

santa clara

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

cursedshitbox posted:

Clearly the superior answer is superior German engineering.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I too live in Santa Clara. We should say hi :]. Contact me at gamebooter at gmail

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

pokie posted:

I too live in Santa Clara. We should say hi :]. Contact me at redacted

awesome :) sent. gonna pass out now but I'm down2ride tomorrow. I'll bring rain gear just in case.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 19, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Clearly the superior answer is superior German engineering.

what German motards are on the market?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jazzzzz posted:

the F700GS is a v good choice.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is that even a motard? Looks like an adv/tourer.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Coydog posted:

Is that even a motard? Looks like an adv/tourer.

its a Motorrad yes

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jazzzzz posted:

BMW X-Moto. There might be one in the crew up for sale soon.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Z3n posted:

BMW X-Moto. There might be one in the crew up for sale soon.

Just moved here and I'm about to be in the market. I would like to know more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ought ten posted:

Just moved here and I'm about to be in the market. I would like to know more.

Did Motomind reach out to you? You can probably PM him.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nah, he didn't. I'll PM him. Thanks

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Highways 9 and 130 are closed today. The road worker at 130 said there was snow and ice, and they were finishing clearing it up today.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Hello!

Still in San Francisco.

Okay. Back to riding!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

EvilCrayon posted:

Hello!

Still in San Francisco.

Okay. Back to riding!

hi!

i hope mount hamilton road opens soon :negative:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

hi!

i hope mount hamilton road opens soon :negative:

I will check it tomorrow morning.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

UUUUFGH

"SR 130 - MT HAMILTON RD
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 6.6 MI EAST TO 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680
/AT QUIMBY RD/ (SANTA CLARA CO) - DUE TO A WASHOUT - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

IS CLOSED FROM 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680 /AT QUIMBY RD/
(SANTA CLARA CO) TO THE SANTA CLARA/STANISLAUS CO LINE - DUE TO SNOW
- MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE - LOCAL RESIDENTS
WITH PROPER IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ALLOWED ACCESS"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

UUUUFGH

"SR 130 - MT HAMILTON RD
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 6.6 MI EAST TO 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680
/AT QUIMBY RD/ (SANTA CLARA CO) - DUE TO A WASHOUT - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

IS CLOSED FROM 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680 /AT QUIMBY RD/
(SANTA CLARA CO) TO THE SANTA CLARA/STANISLAUS CO LINE - DUE TO SNOW
- MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE - LOCAL RESIDENTS
WITH PROPER IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ALLOWED ACCESS"

soooooo....?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm buying the bike new tires, chains abdominal sprockets. :30bux:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So instead the better option is the trusted 9 to Santa Cruz, 1, 84, 35 loop. I just went down this route today and it's clear albeit there are a couple of construction spots.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sar...d37.4270743!3e0

Interested parties can join me around 9:30 this Sunday. Reah me at gamebooter gmail

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

So instead the better option is the trusted 9 to Santa Cruz, 1, 84, 35 loop. I just went down this route today and it's clear albeit there are a couple of construction spots.

Interested parties can join me around 9:30 this Sunday. Reah me at gamebooter gmail

oooh, is hwy 9 open again? Just in time for nice weather too, awesome

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So we are meeting Sunday, not Saturday? Works for me!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

So we are meeting Sunday, not Saturday? Works for me!

Yes! 9:30. Please note the bullshit DST time change too.

mad.radhu posted:

oooh, is hwy 9 open again? Just in time for nice weather too, awesome

Yes! I rode the whole route seen in linked map this Wednesday. There is a stretch south of Felton that's closed, so you have to take Graham Hill Rd.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Having hwy 9 open again is nice. There's lots of dirt on the road, and there's a couple spots that are down to one lane with flaggers or lights.

Also there's so much water in the hills now there's a few spots on 35 that just have water sort of freely flowing across the road, so watch out! https://gfycat.com/GraciousBriefChimneyswift

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

Kickass ride with cool bikes and awesome people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stop leaving ladders in the road :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_CXpHDga4

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

I was so slow to stick my leg out lol

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Too bad I was working that Sunday :( :( :(
in other news I loving love my street tires on my beemer, I had dual-sport tires before and I didn't like the ride.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I rode Indian Valley Road / Highway 25 from San Miguel to Hollister yesterday, which I ventured on once before a few years back. It was a much more pleasent ride now that everything is green, instead of the "golden" I experienced before. I had my drone strapped to the back of my RT and did a little automated flying where it followed me down the valley, but I haven't processed the video yet. I may head out there next weekend after the rain.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 20, 2017

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So I'm in the process of rejoining the fold, after an absence of about a decade. Got my license late last year, and finally have some money together for a bike/gear/insurance. Seeing as I will need gear first (helmet/jacket/pants/gloves/boots), where would folks recommend I go for that?

I'd prefer to go to a brick and mortar place, as opposed to online, as I may need things like fitting advice. Also I want to be able to browse and try stuff on.

I live just a couple blocks away from the CycleGear in Redwood City, but that one is seriously tiny, and they don't carry HJC helmets, or any non-super-expensive helmets that work well with glasses (I've had the best luck with HJC on that front). I've heard good things about the location in San Jose, and Santa Clara Cycle Accessories is also an option (when I last had a bike I couldn't afford proper gear, but used to go there to ogle stuff). I like that CycleGear has a discount for CMSP graduates; does Santa Clara Cycle Accessories offer that?

Anyway, which is the closest thing to a one-stop-shop for gear?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One-stop shop? One of the bigger Cycle Gears (the one in SF is much bigger than Redwood City and has a good selection, never been to the SJ one) or the Dainese D-Store in the city. Obviously the D-store only carries Dainese stuff, and I think AGV helmets, but they have nearly everything they make in every size. $$$ though. SF Moto on 8th street has a wide range of helmets in stock but not that much other gear.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

San Jose Cycle Gear on Parkmoor is really large, bigger than SF one.

Also, I will part with my Icon Contra jacket for half price if interested. https://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-contra-jacket

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

So I'm in the process of rejoining the fold, after an absence of about a decade. Got my license late last year, and finally have some money together for a bike/gear/insurance. Seeing as I will need gear first (helmet/jacket/pants/gloves/boots), where would folks recommend I go for that?

I'd prefer to go to a brick and mortar place, as opposed to online, as I may need things like fitting advice. Also I want to be able to browse and try stuff on.

I live just a couple blocks away from the CycleGear in Redwood City, but that one is seriously tiny, and they don't carry HJC helmets, or any non-super-expensive helmets that work well with glasses (I've had the best luck with HJC on that front). I've heard good things about the location in San Jose, and Santa Clara Cycle Accessories is also an option (when I last had a bike I couldn't afford proper gear, but used to go there to ogle stuff). I like that CycleGear has a discount for CMSP graduates; does Santa Clara Cycle Accessories offer that?

Anyway, which is the closest thing to a one-stop-shop for gear?

Road Rider on Monterey in San Jose is pretty good. They'll order anything you want from online and they have a decent selection of Rev'It, Alpinestars, and Dainese gear. Plus a few lovely American sized pieces if you need. I was there last week and they had a bunch of good stuff in closeout, including Draggin Jeans if you're looking for casual riding pants. My only real knock on them is their helmet selection. I love my doofie Icon helmets, and they don't have too many of those.

Several people mentioned the Cycle Gear on Parkmoor and I will second them for helmets. Between them and Road Rider you should be able to get a pretty good outfit together. Last time I was at Cycle Gear they had some new AVG helmets with flip-down sun visors, which are pretty cool if you hate changing visors out all the time.

Edit

Sorry to be crude, but if you've got a sizable gut and wear a size large or so I have an unused First Gear mesh jacket I'd be willing to give you. It's an extremely American fit, so it won't even be worth trying on unless you're comfortable describing yourself as Homer Simpson shaped.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 21, 2017

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

I live just a couple blocks away from the CycleGear in Redwood City, but that one is seriously tiny, and they don't carry HJC helmets, or any non-super-expensive helmets that work well with glasses (I've had the best luck with HJC on that front).

I have a HJC CL-17 and while it's a good helmet and great value, I wear glasses and have found it tough to get them seated properly. May just be my head or my particular frames but it happens with two different sets. The visor also doesn't seal as well as I'd like at highway speed but with earplugs it's not an issue.

Great value for the money, just wanted you to be aware of those things.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

mentalcontempt posted:

I have a HJC CL-17 and while it's a good helmet and great value, I wear glasses and have found it tough to get them seated properly. May just be my head or my particular frames but it happens with two different sets. The visor also doesn't seal as well as I'd like at highway speed but with earplugs it's not an issue.

Great value for the money, just wanted you to be aware of those things.

I'm glad you mentioned that; that exact model is one that I'm looking at. I used an HJC at the CMSP course last year that worked great; not sure what model it was though. I'll definitely be trying on everything before buying it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Couple videos from Mines Rd today. The bike ahead of me is Pokie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EBys2YMKcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOxJDkWld4o

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any MSR classes around Oakland they'd recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wow pokie, get it get it. Love how fearless he is now.

Also, that hawk shocks me every time with how thin it is.