Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Anyone have any MSR classes around Oakland they'd recommend?

Closest thing to MSR in california is the CMSP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
ty

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dang, I'm happy about the rain and all but all the fun roads seem to be in a bad way around here.

good job keeping right side up there

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

Wow pokie, get it get it. Love how fearless he is now.

Also, that hawk shocks me every time with how thin it is.

:)

As sagebrush can tell there are still many things on the road I am afraid of.

mad.radhu posted:

dang, I'm happy about the rain and all but all the fun roads seem to be in a bad way around here.

good job keeping right side up there

Thanks. The usual Santa Cruz was in great shape last week.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

What happened there to make your back break out? Just punching the throttle? :woop:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Fine gravel on the road. Probably crap from the cliff on the side of the road got washed out in the rain. This happened one more time a minute later. I stopped and checked the tires 😂

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

Several people mentioned the Cycle Gear on Parkmoor and I will second them for helmets. Between them and Road Rider you should be able to get a pretty good outfit together. Last time I was at Cycle Gear they had some new AVG helmets with flip-down sun visors, which are pretty cool if you hate changing visors out all the time.

Well, I went and did it. Dropped a cozy $800 at Cycle Gear on Parkmoor on Saturday. I went in with unrealistically low expectations as far as helmet pricing goes, but I ended up going for one of those AGV helmets (the K3). Most of my stuff is being shipped to me, but I'm really having a good feeling about the helmet. Not only does the K3 work well with glasses, but the flip-down sunshade works with glasses as well. Having that was kind of the holy grail of helmets for me.

Now all I need is a drat bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You really can't put a price on a helmet. Try them all on, get the one that feels best. Spending a couple hundred bucks extra on the one thing that'll save your life in a crash is a real no-brainer (ha).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The new K3 is a slick helmet, too. I had the old K3 and was happy with it. A flip down visor is something you'll never want to go without once you have it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Capn Jobe posted:

Well, I went and did it. Dropped a cozy $800 at Cycle Gear on Parkmoor on Saturday. I went in with unrealistically low expectations as far as helmet pricing goes, but I ended up going for one of those AGV helmets (the K3). Most of my stuff is being shipped to me, but I'm really having a good feeling about the helmet. Not only does the K3 work well with glasses, but the flip-down sunshade works with glasses as well. Having that was kind of the holy grail of helmets for me.

What makes it good for glasses? I've been happy with Scorpions for the last couple helmets but I suspect they're to blame for one of my sunglasses' ear arms breaking in half.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

ought ten posted:

What makes it good for glasses? I've been happy with Scorpions for the last couple helmets but I suspect they're to blame for one of my sunglasses' ear arms breaking in half.

I'm able to slide my glasses on without feeling like they're wedged in or I'm forcing them.

We'll see how it goes with regular use, but I've got a good feeling.

And as a bonus, you might not even need sunglasses with the flip-down sunshade. I'm pumped that I won't have to switch glasses.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

Glad to hear it worked out! What jacket, pants, and gloves did you pick? If anything is Bilt, return immediately.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Capn Jobe posted:

I'm able to slide my glasses on without feeling like they're wedged in or I'm forcing them.

We'll see how it goes with regular use, but I've got a good feeling.

And as a bonus, you might not even need sunglasses with the flip-down sunshade. I'm pumped that I won't have to switch glasses.

Yeah, I'd love a sunshade. And it fits over your glasses too?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat

ought ten posted:

Yeah, I'd love a sunshade. And it fits over your glasses too?

Yup, the shade is far enough forward that the glasses don't get in the way. I wear these frames most days, which are not particularly form-fitting, so if it works with these it should work with most frames.

Chichevache posted:

Glad to hear it worked out! What jacket, pants, and gloves did you pick? If anything is Bilt, return immediately.

Ha, I actually bought some Bilt pants (the Ironworker cargos) and was debating asking the thread if it was a bad idea. I mostly chose those because everything else they had was either overpants, or $400 (and the Bilts can take hip armor, though they don't come with it). I'm not against overpants, I'll probably end up with a pair eventually, but I'd rather start with something simpler (and cooler). I'd totally be willing to swap out the Bilts if someone can recommend a better pair of textile pants that are $200 or under. Actually leather would be fine, just nothing that costs $400.

But here's the rest of the order:

Jacket: Alpinestars T-GP R Air
Helmet: AGV K3 SV Avior
Boots: Alpinestars SMX-1 R Vented
Gloves: Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon

Colorwise, I kinda went all out on day-glo. I'm okay with that. I realize none of this will be suitable for rain or even particularly cold weather, but I'm not planning on commuting on the bike regularly (I usually commute by bicycle, it's my main exercise) and we're getting to some warmer weather.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hello, AlpineStars homeboy :P.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

pokie posted:

Hello, AlpineStars homeboy :P.
Heh. I'm looking at this for my first gear:
Helmet Shoei RF-1200 Helmet
Spine Guard Alpinestars Nucleon KR-1i Back Protector Insert
Gloves Alpinestars GP Plus R Gloves
Jacket Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket
Pants REV'IT! Sand 3
Boots Alpinestars SMX 6 v2 Air Boots

And Im currently waffling on the pants as different brands mean I probably can't zip them together. :(

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Heh. I'm looking at this for my first gear:
Helmet Shoei RF-1200 Helmet
Spine Guard Alpinestars Nucleon KR-1i Back Protector Insert
Gloves Alpinestars GP Plus R Gloves
Jacket Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket
Pants REV'IT! Sand 3
Boots Alpinestars SMX 6 v2 Air Boots

And Im currently waffling on the pants as different brands mean I probably can't zip them together. :(

My pants came with a zipper strip that you could sew onto the jacket to make it compatible, so that might be an option. Of course I lost that piece and compulsively pull my jacket down at every stop light.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Z3n posted:

June 26th - it's put on by the Dysturbed Riders, they usually bring around 25 people and I usually bring around 15-20.
So do we sign up through you or through DR? Looks interesting at least.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

Yup, the shade is far enough forward that the glasses don't get in the way. I wear these frames most days, which are not particularly form-fitting, so if it works with these it should work with most frames.

Ha, I actually bought some Bilt pants (the Ironworker cargos) and was debating asking the thread if it was a bad idea. I mostly chose those because everything else they had was either overpants, or $400 (and the Bilts can take hip armor, though they don't come with it). I'm not against overpants, I'll probably end up with a pair eventually, but I'd rather start with something simpler (and cooler). I'd totally be willing to swap out the Bilts if someone can recommend a better pair of textile pants that are $200 or under. Actually leather would be fine, just nothing that costs $400.

But here's the rest of the order:

Jacket: Alpinestars T-GP R Air
Helmet: AGV K3 SV Avior
Boots: Alpinestars SMX-1 R Vented
Gloves: Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon

Colorwise, I kinda went all out on day-glo. I'm okay with that. I realize none of this will be suitable for rain or even particularly cold weather, but I'm not planning on commuting on the bike regularly (I usually commute by bicycle, it's my main exercise) and we're getting to some warmer weather.

Return the Bilt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ilkhan posted:

So do we sign up through you or through DR? Looks interesting at least.

DR - I'm just a promoter here :)

PM me and I'll add you to the FB invite.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bought a KTM 390 Duke and it's tiny and hilarious and sounds like a tractor

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A good choice!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Okay I took the 390 Duke up to Alices and back this morning, and holy poo poo what a hilarious ride. I don't have the vocabulary really to describe it without plagiarizing various auto/bike journalists, but it just feels so stable and composed, noticeably more so than my FZ-07. It's very much 'slow bike fast' - throw it at a corner at any speed you can reasonably get up to, and you can be pretty certain it'll just go around it.

Hwy 9 still has a couple spots with stop lights set up, 2 or 3 spots with water flowing across the road, same with Skyline. It's a gorgeous day out, go ride!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got up there today. FWIW, in terms of getting up to Skyline, Kings was almost entirely free of cars for me. Just cyclists. Compared to 92 and 84 which were parking lots.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Still have your fz07 mad? My Ninja 300 was fun as long as I could set my own pace. Trying to pass cars sucked though. That bike was only fun when you could just carry momentum.

That said, I think I'm going try and trade my Street Triple for a DRZ400SM. Or something along those lines. Street Triple overlaps too much with my other bikes.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Got up there today. FWIW, in terms of getting up to Skyline, Kings was almost entirely free of cars for me. Just cyclists. Compared to 92 and 84 which were parking lots.

What's Kings?

Yeah, I split all the way coming back south on 92 at 4pm. Some jerks by Alice's were going knee down one turn away from a cop on stake out. I gave them the sign, but they didn't react. I kinda hope he got them. Great weather for a ride. I am going earlier in the morning next time though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Kings Mountain Rd. Road up from Woodside to Skyline.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...!4d-122.2991805

Good bit more technical than 84 or 92. I do the whole thing in first gear on my CBR.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Still have your fz07 mad? My Ninja 300 was fun as long as I could set my own pace. Trying to pass cars sucked though. That bike was only fun when you could just carry momentum.

That said, I think I'm going try and trade my Street Triple for a DRZ400SM. Or something along those lines. Street Triple overlaps too much with my other bikes.

Yeah, the 07 is mine, the 390 duke I split with my sister so she could learn to ride. I've been eyeing the 2017 FZ-09 though, having ABS and t/c with a little more power might be nice.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

Yeah, the 07 is mine, the 390 duke I split with my sister so she could learn to ride. I've been eyeing the 2017 FZ-09 though, having ABS and t/c with a little more power might be nice.

Have you gone on any long road trips on the fz07? are the stock seats comfy for long rides? Is there anything that bothers you about the bike?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

Have you gone on any long road trips on the fz07? are the stock seats comfy for long rides? Is there anything that bothers you about the bike?

Nothing really bothers me about the FZ - maybe the stock exhaust is a big tame, sounds like a sewing machine. Akrapovic titanium swap fixed that up.

I haven't done any long rides with it really, I've spent several hours riding twisty stuff around the bay here without discomfort though, the stock seat is pretty okay.

Here was Skyline today:

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 30, 2017

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Was hopping today.

STP

Did a good ride with friends. Up Kings. Skyline to 9. 9 to Felton Empire. Empire Grade. Pine Flat, Bonny Doon. Hwy 1 north to 84. Skyline to 92 and home.

Just out there taking it easy.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Was hopping today.

STP

Did a good ride with friends. Up Kings. Skyline to 9. 9 to Felton Empire. Empire Grade. Pine Flat, Bonny Doon. Hwy 1 north to 84. Skyline to 92 and home.

every once in a while between complaining about taxes and housing costs and commute times, a day like today happens and living in CA seems like a bargain. Gorgeous pics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dema posted:

Was hopping today.

STP

ha, I think that's the exact same pulloff that pokie/tactical lesbian/chichevache/cursedshitbox/myself stopped at for pictures a month or so ago.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
If someone could talk me out of trading up from an FZ-07 to the FZ-09 that'd be great

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You should buy a speed triple instead.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

You should buy a speed triple instead.

But for that price I could just get an FZ-10

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

you should buy an FZ-10

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

you should buy an FZ-10

I think that would be too much power for me! Also part of the attractiveness of the 09 is the new riding modes/abs etc at a $9k price point.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

I think that would be too much power for me! Also part of the attractiveness of the 09 is the new riding modes/abs etc at a $9k price point.
Street triple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
GP sports in San Jose off Camden will have a 2017 FZ-09 demo bike from Yamaha in on Wednesday for test rides apparently.

Also I took my FZ-07 out and cleaned it up a bit to take pictures for a for-sale ad, but it's so pretty I almost don't want to go forward with that. :negative: