Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

mad.radhu posted:

GP sports in San Jose off Camden will have a 2017 FZ-09 demo bike from Yamaha in on Wednesday for test rides apparently.

Also I took my FZ-07 out and cleaned it up a bit to take pictures for a for-sale ad, but it's so pretty I almost don't want to go forward with that. :negative:

What is making you want to change? Here is a shot of my FZ1 (old exhaust)! I have been thinking about going to an FZ-07 because I think the FZ1 is overkill for commuting from Oakland over the bridge everyday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
No overtly justifiable reason other than being curious how more power would feel. Insurance would go down (weirdly enough), ABS and T/C would be neat to have.

I did get complimented by a guy on an FZ-09 over the weekend after he caught up to my FZ-07 at the stoplight on the way down Hwy 9. Dunno.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Tactical Lesbian and I went on a nice ride from Saratoga to SF down the usual twisties. There are now 2 one way sections with lights on hwy 35 not too far south east from 84 intersection if memory serves.

pokie fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 19, 2017

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Yep, two. And the lights take foooreeeeveeerrrr.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
There's also a spot on 35 with a stoplight now just south of Alice's.

Also it was ---> loving hot <--- yesterday with my cage indicating an air temp on highway 17 of 111f

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah, I went riding yesterday morning. It felt over 90f at 9am. Ffff.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Realizing I should open all the vents on my helmet while getting gas because it was hot as balls turned into too much air causing contact lens issues on the freeway 5 mins later, good times.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
edit: nevermind

I'm looking forward to all the roads being repaired again. Sitting in the sun for 5 minutes waiting for a stoplight on 35 to change sure gets steamy.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 7, 2017

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I did the usual 35->84->1->92->32 loop this evening, and it was really fun. The coast was really cold, and there are still stupid one way lights around Woodside.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
Anyone heading out to the MotoAmerica race this weekend? I will be riding out there on Saturday and possibly staying until Sunday. I also rented a garage out in Oakland not sure if there are any Vintage Vespa or 2 Stroke people left on here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Nice P-Series. I had those same tires on my Lambretta (RIP :italy: )

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Speaking of Oakland garages, if you want a two-car in the Grand Lake area my buddy just had to walk away from his lease. Decent power (but needs more lighting) and a BRAND NEW SLAB. I'm pretty jealous that I can't get it from him. Landlord seems chill, too.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/prk/d/2-car-garage-for-rent-grand/6254534091.html

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 16, 2017

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
who did this

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on Bear Creek Road from Boulder Creek today. Excellent road except for this part

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pokie posted:

I went on Bear Creek Road from Boulder Creek today. Excellent road except for this part

Same road conditions on my ride to big basin... On my car... Because I lost my Motorcycle endorsement... Because I failed the written test...

I miss my bike :cry:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So I finally got a thing:

2015 Vulcan S ABS. I wanted something with ABS, and because I'm basically an old man this should suit me just fine. Plus, I dig the "let's take the ninja and make it a cruiser" thing. I only had time for about a 20 minute ride yesterday around my neighborhood in Redwood City (got my first wave!), definitely need some practice.

I've been bikeless for 10 years, with my only recent riding experience being the CMSP course last year and taking my coworker's R6 around the office parking lot. An old friend is a CHP motor officer; he's going to come by this weekend to show me some drills.

But I'm super pumped to take this up 84 to the coast; not quite ready yet but getting there.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Capn Jobe posted:

2015 Vulcan S ABS. I wanted something with ABS, and because I'm basically an old man this should suit me just fine. Plus, I dig the "let's take the ninja and make it a cruiser" thing. I only had time for about a 20 minute ride yesterday around my neighborhood in Redwood City (got my first wave!), definitely need some practice.

I've been bikeless for 10 years, with my only recent riding experience being the CMSP course last year and taking my coworker's R6 around the office parking lot. An old friend is a CHP motor officer; he's going to come by this weekend to show me some drills.

But I'm super pumped to take this up 84 to the coast; not quite ready yet but getting there.

nice!! congrats on the new bike

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

Hello friend, I have the same bike in black. Enjoy!

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Been taking the Vulcan S around Redwood City, and to work (also in RWC) a few days this week. Definitely improving every time I take it out, but am still not as confident as I would like to be.

Anyone have any road recommendations in this area that aren't particularly challenging, but something at least a bit more interesting than going in a straight line from stoplight to stoplight?

Also, as an aside, my CEO is convinced that I have a super fast bike. "But it's a 650!" "You said it's based on the Ninja!"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

Been taking the Vulcan S around Redwood City, and to work (also in RWC) a few days this week. Definitely improving every time I take it out, but am still not as confident as I would like to be.

Anyone have any road recommendations in this area that aren't particularly challenging, but something at least a bit more interesting than going in a straight line from stoplight to stoplight?

Also, as an aside, my CEO is convinced that I have a super fast bike. "But it's a 650!" "You said it's based on the Ninja!"

What color? I'm working in Redwood right now.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Capn Jobe posted:

Take 92 South to 35. Take 35 South East as far you'd like then ride back. When you have the confidence, make a loop via 84. If you want a riding buddy, I am in between jobs and have the time.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

What color? I'm working in Redwood right now.

White, with cheap white hard sidecases. Haven't actually ridden it to work since Tuesday, as I don't want to completely abandon commuting by bicycle.

pokie posted:

Take 92 South to 35. Take 35 South East as far you'd like then ride back. When you have the confidence, make a loop via 84. If you want a riding buddy, I am in between jobs and have the time.

Haven't done any freeway riding yet, but I believe I can get most of the way there on Canada road, avoiding the larger parts of 92. Might give that a shot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Capn Jobe posted:

Pokie's 92 -> 35 -> Alice's -> 84 -> 1 -> 92 loop is the classic peninsula ride. The best section of that road, IMO, is 84 to San Gregorio.

When you're confident going a little further, continue south on 35 instead of turning at 84, and you'll end up in the Big Basin Redwoods and stuff down towards Santa Cruz. Lots of good roads down there too.

Once you get confident with the freeways, hit up the SF Bay Area thread for recommendations and group rides and stuff. Also join the layer-dan Slack chat. There's at least half a dozen people around here who are usually up for something, and there's a stunning amount of gorgeous rides within a ~100 mile radius of the area.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I always go south from San Gregorio on Stage or 1. And then back through Pescadero to 84.

Careful on Pescadero Rd. It's still a fast-ish road but the turns are less uniform. Great road. It's just a little less forgiving than the rest on this route.

(From today on Pescadero Rd)

edit; And I love Stage but it's a road for taking your time on.

Sagebrush posted:

there's a stunning amount of gorgeous rides within a ~100 mile radius of the area.

Year around, too. We are so spoiled.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 23, 2017

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat
Alright, ride is done! I took 84 to Canada road to 92. Then turned south on 35 to Alice's. Stopped to rehydrate, then down 84 to home.

This is exactly what I needed, lots of gentle turns. On the way back down 84 things got a bit tighter, but this bike is much more nimble than I was expecting. Super easy to lean over, and never scraped a peg. Still a ways to go, but today was a milestone.

Strangely, the Vulcan S seems too quiet. At a good speed with my helmet on I can barely hear it. Makes it hard to select gears since I don't get that aural feedback. Oh well, I'll get used to it. Also I just spent $200 on crash bars, a few hundred more for exhaust isn't too much of a stretch.

Edit: I was approached at Alice's by a guy on a huge Harley tourer. "Does it handle like a Harley?" No, it does not.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Last ride for me was Monday the 9th. I was at home in SE Santa Rosa and woke up to no cell service and smoke. We could see the flames in Fountain Grove.

By midmorning it seemed like the air was clearing, so I thought I would ride to the winery and work for a few hours (just south of Healdsburg). I had heard 101 was closed and figured traffic would be hosed, so KLRing sounded sensible. On the way up I took 12 to Fulton road and was getting hit in the screen by cinders and visibility was variably 2 to 5 blocks. I hadn't heard how much of Santa Rosa west of 101 was burning. No power, so no traffic lights, so 90% of the drivers were too confused to do anything.

I got there and sent my pregnant wife a text saying I was there (we'd found a corner of my son's bedroom that had enough service to text). I got to it and only realized an hour and a half later that that message had not been sent. I shut everything down and bolted for home. I had gotten lost in that normal little moment, but now was wondering if the fire had turned and was burning my house and/or family. I took the same route home, and traffic was somehow worse. I was on the right shoulder passing dozens of cars. At around Piner I passed a typical Layer Dan, wide Harley, wide fairing, wide ape hangers, wide lady on the back, brain bucket helmet, and a handkerchief over his mouth. For whatever reason he is sitting in the normal lane rapping off his engine and struggling to keep it upright. I passed him too, but I guess that offended him because he pulled out and rode my rear wheel all the way to Guerneville Road. The southbound lane splits but right before it does there's a weird pinch thing and a brodozer was trying to get around a fifth wheel camper blocking all the way to the guard rail. I am track standing looking for a way through and the camper moved forward just enough to swerve through, and I lane split up to the light, and looked back to see him trying to shuffle that pig through the same gap I barely made it through. I laughed the rest of the way home.

We packed up and stayed with friends in Sebastopol for a while, it was a hosed up week but we're totally fine now. Laughing to myself at ol'Layer Dan trying not to scratch a lifted Chevy or a massive camper with his stupid tasseled bars helped a lot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Glad you’re okay!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ditto.

Capn Jobe posted:

Alright, ride is done! I took 84 to Canada road to 92. Then turned south on 35 to Alice's. Stopped to rehydrate, then down 84 to home.

I am glad you liked my suggestion. If you survived the section of 84 between 35 and 280, you should be fine in most twisties around here.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Hello!

Anybody else have Mondays off to go rip around?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

EvilCrayon posted:

Hello!

Anybody else have Mondays off to go rip around?

I do for at least next week. Ping me at gamebooter at gmail.com. I am in San Jose.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm around.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

I always go south from San Gregorio on Stage or 1. And then back through Pescadero to 84.

Careful on Pescadero Rd. It's still a fast-ish road but the turns are less uniform. Great road. It's just a little less forgiving than the rest on this route.

(From today on Pescadero Rd)

I just went on this route. I didn't take Pescadero back to 84 when it splits, but went up Alpine to 35 instead (https://goo.gl/maps/EcMCUGdSvzp). It's like 236 - narrow and dangerous with some sweet sweet turns. It was kinda lovely today due to all the foliage and random rain-related debris. This is a great route and shout be in OP.

Oh yeah, on the way back I saw some car that's driven off a cliff on the stretch of 9 between 35 and Saratoga. They were getting pulled out. Yay!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

pokie posted:

I just went on this route. I didn't take Pescadero back to 84 when it splits, but went up Alpine to 35 instead (https://goo.gl/maps/EcMCUGdSvzp). It's like 236 - narrow and dangerous with some sweet sweet turns. It was kinda lovely today due to all the foliage and random rain-related debris. This is a great route and shout be in OP.

Oh yeah, on the way back I saw some car that's driven off a cliff on the stretch of 9 between 35 and Saratoga. They were getting pulled out. Yay!

The XR looks sweet!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

There's been another slide on hwy 9. Avoid going south of Boulder Creek if you can. I was there at ~12:30 on a weekday and got stuck in stopped traffic for about 15 minutes. On the other hand, got lunch at Cafe Brasil, mhm.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

There's been another slide on hwy 9. Avoid going south of Boulder Creek if you can. I was there at ~12:30 on a weekday and got stuck in stopped traffic for about 15 minutes. On the other hand, got lunch at Cafe Brasil, mhm.

:negative:

man they haven't even repaired all the roads up there from last winter yet :(

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

Great photo. Love the stretch of Stage Rd.

Yes. West Alpine is, IMO, the most scenic road in the Santa Cruz mountains. But yeah, it's first gear the whole time on my CBR1000RR. More of a bicycle or supermoto road.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on Sagebrush-recommended Ridgecrest to Fairfax route this morning. It was great, although the downhill section of the Fairfax road was sketchy as gently caress in the switchbacks for my skill level.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, yeah, that bit blows. Really tight and full of potholes and usually slippery pine needles everywhere too. It might be fun to ride in the uphill direction on a dirt bike with a closed course.

Luckily that's only about 10 minutes of the ride and I think the rest of it makes up for it. I really like riding across the dam at the bottom.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Oh cool, you are back. We should go ride in that area together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

How about this weather?