Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Too warm and dry :<.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

dema posted:

How about this weather?

:swoon:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Looking for some ride recommendations. A friend is in town this weekend and if the weather holds Sunday we're thinking of renting bikes and going out for the day. I know there's good stuff in the Santa Cruz mountains and the south end of the peninsula. We'd be coming from the east bay. I'd like to ride most of the day with a stop for lunch somewhere, but one important restriction is we don't want to go more than a few hours ride from the east bay (my wife's due date is less than two weeks away).

Any specific routes people recommend?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How long of a ride and how twisty?

If you want to stay in the East Bay, go to Livermore and take Mines Rd. south until The Junction (notable roadside restaurant/bar in the middle of nowhere), then continue on 130 south / San Antonio Valley Rd. up the back side of Mt. Hamilton and back down into San Jose. About 80 miles and just gorgeous the whole way.

If you want to cross the bridges, then the classic easy one is San Mateo bridge to 92, up to the top of the ridge, 35 south to Alice's. Then from there you either take 84 W to San Gregorio and ride along the ocean towards Pescadero, or continue 35 S to the Big Basin redwoods. Then there are a variety of different paths you can take to Santa Cruz. Also about 80 miles give or take.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

How long of a ride and how twisty?

If you want to stay in the East Bay, go to Livermore and take Mines Rd. south until The Junction (notable roadside restaurant/bar in the middle of nowhere), then continue on 130 south / San Antonio Valley Rd. up the back side of Mt. Hamilton and back down into San Jose. About 80 miles and just gorgeous the whole way.

If you want to cross the bridges, then the classic easy one is San Mateo bridge to 92, up to the top of the ridge, 35 south to Alice's. Then from there you either take 84 W to San Gregorio and ride along the ocean towards Pescadero, or continue 35 S to the Big Basin redwoods. Then there are a variety of different paths you can take to Santa Cruz. Also about 80 miles give or take.

Thanks. I think we’ll do something like the latter. Might try to loop around 36 a couple times, maybe come back up 1.

Is Alice’s going to be insane at lunch? Are there better spots to eat?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alice's is always busy on the weekends when the weather is nice, but you can always go across the street to the market and get a sandwich.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just keep in mind that if it's getting late in the day (after 4:30 PM or so), the marine layer will be coming in on the coast, and the ride up 1 will be rapidly getting foggy and cold. I would aim to stay on the bay side of the peninsula if the sun starting to go down by the time you're heading back.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Just keep in mind that if it's getting late in the day (after 4:30 PM or so), the marine layer will be coming in on the coast, and the ride up 1 will be rapidly getting foggy and cold. I would aim to stay on the bay side of the peninsula if the sun starting to go down by the time you're heading back.

Good point

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Had a fantastic ride today, from Redwood City up 84 to Alice's and on to the coast. I'd driven the section of 84 west of Alice's a few times, but had a blast riding it for the first time.

Then I headed south to Pescadero, which involved travelling through a mass of fog on 1. Had to wipe my visor off a few times. Didn't feel like stopping when I got there (waaaayyy too packed), so I turned North to Half Moon Bay. Had a bite at Cameron's Pub (the place from Birdemic), and then home via 92. Happy to say I'm getting more comfortable with the whole "slightly longer rides" thing, so my throttle hand pain/numbness is improving gradually.

drat fine day it was.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 12, 2018

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Trackday at THill June 25th, folks should come play.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks for the good advice Sagebrush and mad.radhu. Had an excellent day. Ended up going straight across the San Mateo bridge and over to Half Moon Bay. Started down the coast on 1 but it was cold and cloudy so we turned left on 84 and headed up to Alice's. First time there and man, that's a lot of nice bikes. And more leather than the Folsom Street Fair. Saw a Maclaren and an R8 too. Shot the poo poo with a crusty old timer. From there we went south until 9, then took a right and found 236. That's a crazy road. Slow but super fun. Finally made our way down to Santa Cruz, then headed back up 1 to go home. The marine layer held off and that ended up being a great way to end the day.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ought ten posted:

Thanks for the good advice Sagebrush and mad.radhu. Had an excellent day. Ended up going straight across the San Mateo bridge and over to Half Moon Bay. Started down the coast on 1 but it was cold and cloudy so we turned left on 84 and headed up to Alice's. First time there and man, that's a lot of nice bikes. And more leather than the Folsom Street Fair. Saw a Maclaren and an R8 too. Shot the poo poo with a crusty old timer. From there we went south until 9, then took a right and found 236. That's a crazy road. Slow but super fun. Finally made our way down to Santa Cruz, then headed back up 1 to go home. The marine layer held off and that ended up being a great way to end the day.

Nice. I go down those roads every other weekend. It's always fun. The stretch of 9 b/w 35 and Saratoga is always a blast if a bit crowded.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm coming down for Dockercon (NERD ALERT) in June. The plan is on a motorcycle. I like to park it and walk the town, so I'm interested in secure multi-day parking for the Futura or R or Ulysses or whatever I decide to ride down (pls be Futura). Anybody have any go-to motorcycle parking secrets they'd share with me that I won't need to worry a lot about while I'm there? It doesn't need to be IN the city, I can Bart across the bay or up from SFO area or whatever.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Good luck.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
it's so fuckin nice outside, go ride

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 31, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

It's too warm already :<

But I did some dirt riding today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcrQJcege7k&t=92s

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

I'm coming down for Dockercon (NERD ALERT) in June. The plan is on a motorcycle. I like to park it and walk the town, so I'm interested in secure multi-day parking for the Futura or R or Ulysses or whatever I decide to ride down (pls be Futura). Anybody have any go-to motorcycle parking secrets they'd share with me that I won't need to worry a lot about while I'm there? It doesn't need to be IN the city, I can Bart across the bay or up from SFO area or whatever.

If you wanted to you could rent space and stash it at Motoguild if you aren't going to use it while you are here, you can take a bus from Treasure Island back to the City. I am sure there are some other good options from people that live in the city.

Edit: PM me if you want, I will have space in my garage you are welcome to stash it there to. Its in Oakland and about a 20 min walk to Lake Merrit Bart.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Signed up for the Sonoma track day on 5/21, join me cowards

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

mad.radhu posted:

Signed up for the Sonoma track day on 5/21, join me cowards

How are you getting up there do you have transport? I am a little worried about taking my daily commuter out there but it is an FZ1 so it should go to the track. I really want to do a track day this summer but I was thinking about renting a bike from Feel Like a Pro or some other service.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
borrowing a truck from a family member, probably. There's at least one other non-goon rider I know going, so I dunno - details are tbd.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hi watch out for gravel on 130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34t-cO2Bbg4

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 14, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

drat, I was there yesterday around 9am. I saw the gravel in time though. Sorry about your crash, man :<.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

drat, I was there yesterday around 9am. I saw the gravel in time though. Sorry about your crash, man :<.

Thanks, i'm a little bruised but I had all my poo poo on so i'm good. Bike will need new bars, turn signal, and mirror, other than that it's fine. Engine crash bars did great.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Yikes! Glad you came through mostly unscathed!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This dude has been taking photos on Skyline recently:
https://www.instagram.com/bayroadsap/

Caught me trying to look fast last weekend.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nice pics.

I rode up here last Friday. https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...!4d-121.8985666

It's a pretty fun South Bay road. Pics https://imgur.com/a/qg5SPFQ

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
I went camping and crabbing out at Lawsons Landing/Dillon beach with my FZ1. Only the third time I have used my Ventura rack setup and it worked out great. I thought the bullshit crab net I could fit easily on my bike wouldn't work but I pulled up 6 dungeness crabs on Thursday morning in the first three hours of the day. I would recommend it if you are looking for something like that.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWJK13Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

How does that work exactly? Do you have to wade into the water or what?

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

How does that work exactly? Do you have to wade into the water or what?

Nope there is a dock at the camp site so you just toss it over the edge and drop it down in the water with some squid, go back and check put it up and check it in 20-30min or so. People that are setup have small boats they go out and drop traps with but as long as you get up before 9am you can get a spot on the Lawsons landing dock no problem. And with a normal fishing license you can pull up 10 dungeness in a day.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

That's pretty cool. Where did you get the squid? How long does it take to get a license?

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

That's pretty cool. Where did you get the squid? How long does it take to get a license?

Most people recommend raw chicken from the grocery store which is even easier. There are a ton of bait shops around the bay area but the boathouse/general store at the end of the dock located at the campsite sells bait as well. I have been going for about 5 years once a year doing this and this year I found out you can purchase a license online ezpz. I just picked up a two day this year but only ended up crabbing one.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Online-Sales

Edit: Here is a link to the campsite, you can book a site online as well. If you plan on crabbing trying to get one close to the dock would be best its a fairly large camping area.

http://www.lawsonslanding.com/

bobbert fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 22, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is there a particular reason to camp? I was thinking of just showing up early one day.

Also, thanks for all the references!

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

Is there a particular reason to camp? I was thinking of just showing up early one day.

Also, thanks for all the references!

Nope I think you can buy a day pass at the gate but double check. It would actually work well, you could just wrap all the crabs in a damp towel and take them home in a paper bag or whatever at the end of the day. Just make sure to cook them the same day you pull them out of the water. You can freeze them overnight after that in a ziplock, just keep the moisture away from the meat. We kept ours in a cooler with sea water if you could somehow get a small cooler out there that would be ideal. They dont need much space depending on how many you haul up.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sweet! The gf wanted to catch some, so we might go do that next month. And, yeah, I have a suitable cooler.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did a track day up at Sonoma on monday and holy poo poo I can't recommend it enough, the guys at z2trackdays really run a well oiled machine

I'm going to be thinking of how much faster I could go on turn 6 for months

bobo333
Jul 4, 2009

Progress peaked with frozen pizza.

YNWA

pokie posted:

Nice pics.

I rode up here last Friday. https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...!4d-121.8985666

It's a pretty fun South Bay road. Pics https://imgur.com/a/qg5SPFQ

Which route did you take to get there? I was on 35 last weekend without realizing it becomes a 1 lane road. Not 1 lane each way, 1 lane total. It wasn't the best experience wondering if there's a car coming head on around every corner.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

bobo333 posted:

Which route did you take to get there? I was on 35 last weekend without realizing it becomes a 1 lane road. Not 1 lane each way, 1 lane total. It wasn't the best experience wondering if there's a car coming head on around every corner.

Something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San...d37.1605016!3e0

It's never a 1 lane, really.

Oh, yeah 35 south-east of 9 intersection is a bit meh, but traffic is very light there. Did you stop by Castle Rock park? It's killer.

bobo333
Jul 4, 2009

Progress peaked with frozen pizza.

YNWA
I stopped at a few scenic points, don't know if they were in Castle Rock park or not. I'd do the ride again, but avoid the single lane portion of 35.

Next ride for me is the 1 up to Bodega Bay. Hoping the weather cooperates.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

bobo333 posted:

I stopped at a few scenic points, don't know if they were in Castle Rock park or not. I'd do the ride again, but avoid the single lane portion of 35.

Next ride for me is the 1 up to Bodega Bay. Hoping the weather cooperates.

Ah, I meant the main attraction in the park itself. It's only 5 minutes from the parking lot - worth a view sometime.

If you are going that far north, go all the way to stewart's point and go East on Skaggs road. It's in the OP of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
go do a track day, it kicks hella rear end