Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

There's a Bay Area thread? poo poo, thought we were just all over on BARF or something.

d3ma is a noob in San Mateo with a white 2014 Ninja 300 ABS (casually for sale) and a black/red 2013 Triumph Street Triple R.

Commute between San Mateo and SoMA on 101 during the week. Get one or two rides in the mountains during the weekend.

Doing a big SoCal road trip later this week. Eight days. Down the coast. Palomar. Angeles Crest. Yosemite. Sonora Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Ninja 300 FS thread: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498576

Z3n posted:

You're gonna love this, I guarantee it. One of my best motorcycle memories is chasing daylight down the Sonora Pass during a 1 day bomb back from SLC on a fly and ride for a Speed Triple.

Excellent.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hey cool - I don't post in CA a lot but I live down underneath Angeles Crest so if you want any tips on this or wind up needing tools when you're in the area PM me :)

Sonora Pass was fantastic, but Angeles Crest was the highlight. Did it early Tuesday morning and had it all to myself.

Bunch of photos from the trip here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/milliron/albums/72157669722970180

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

I took the long way to SF today by going on 9 to 35 to 92 etc. It was fun. Only saw one car on all of 35.

Yeah, I do that some mornings. But starting at Pagemill. No better way to start a day.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

Yuuuuuup. Mission resident, Cupertino worker here.

Yeah, I'm San Mateo/SoMA. It's all warm, sunny and happy when I take my pup for a walk. Five minutes into my ride to work, freezing death fog.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

Here's a neat ride I went on today:

Map link

This is pretty great. Putting it on the list.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

84 between Woodside and Skyline is closed right now. Apparently part of the road slid out.

Might make for less traffic on 84 between Skyline and 1 this weekend. I'm sure it's super dirty though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, I was up there the day before yesterday and the guy putting up the barriers said there was a sinkhole and multiple trees down across the road.

Was up there today. Looks like they have it single lane. Best to avoid.

Skyline was a total mess and there were at least two San Mateo County Sheriffs on patrol. Still had a fantastic ride though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got up there today. FWIW, in terms of getting up to Skyline, Kings was almost entirely free of cars for me. Just cyclists. Compared to 92 and 84 which were parking lots.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Still have your fz07 mad? My Ninja 300 was fun as long as I could set my own pace. Trying to pass cars sucked though. That bike was only fun when you could just carry momentum.

That said, I think I'm going try and trade my Street Triple for a DRZ400SM. Or something along those lines. Street Triple overlaps too much with my other bikes.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Kings Mountain Rd. Road up from Woodside to Skyline.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...!4d-122.2991805

Good bit more technical than 84 or 92. I do the whole thing in first gear on my CBR.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Was hopping today.

STP

Did a good ride with friends. Up Kings. Skyline to 9. 9 to Felton Empire. Empire Grade. Pine Flat, Bonny Doon. Hwy 1 north to 84. Skyline to 92 and home.

Just out there taking it easy.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I always go south from San Gregorio on Stage or 1. And then back through Pescadero to 84.

Careful on Pescadero Rd. It's still a fast-ish road but the turns are less uniform. Great road. It's just a little less forgiving than the rest on this route.

(From today on Pescadero Rd)

edit; And I love Stage but it's a road for taking your time on.

Sagebrush posted:

there's a stunning amount of gorgeous rides within a ~100 mile radius of the area.

Year around, too. We are so spoiled.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 23, 2017

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

I just went on this route. I didn't take Pescadero back to 84 when it splits, but went up Alpine to 35 instead (https://goo.gl/maps/EcMCUGdSvzp). It's like 236 - narrow and dangerous with some sweet sweet turns. It was kinda lovely today due to all the foliage and random rain-related debris. This is a great route and shout be in OP.

Oh yeah, on the way back I saw some car that's driven off a cliff on the stretch of 9 between 35 and Saratoga. They were getting pulled out. Yay!

Great photo. Love the stretch of Stage Rd.

Yes. West Alpine is, IMO, the most scenic road in the Santa Cruz mountains. But yeah, it's first gear the whole time on my CBR1000RR. More of a bicycle or supermoto road.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

How about this weather?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This dude has been taking photos on Skyline recently:
https://www.instagram.com/bayroadsap/

Caught me trying to look fast last weekend.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

3. You could also ride through Yosemite to Mammoth Lakes and stay there. That should be sweet.

I like to stay in Bridgeport. Take 108 out and 120 back. Wake up real early the second day and having breakfast in Yosemite. You can easily get there before the crowds.

Sonora Pass. 9,600'.

Mono Lake at sunrise.

Nearly empty Yosemite Valley.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Was mid week, mid July.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice avatar picture thing Capn Jobe. I've ridden motor bikes with the ArnoCorps lead singer dude a few times.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I did 108 on Saturday morning. Beat the fire. They closed it that evening.

Did an out and back on 120, from the Eastern side, on Sunday morning. Was awesome, barely any other traffic and was totally clear.

Had to do 4 on the way home. Bit narrow with no center divider and a lot of traffic due to 120 and 108 being closed. Would have been really pretty if it hadn't been smokey though.

Oh and 4, West of Angels Camp, was awesome. Fun and freshly paved. Not much traffic. Though, while I didn't see any cops, it kinda struck me as the sort of place that would have heavy enforcement. I'm a little scared of anything central valley and between towns.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bummed I'm out of town this weekend. Awkward conversation pauses is what I excel at.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Perfect!

In other news, the loop around Hawk Hill would be so good if it wasn't full of rangers and tourists.

The descent down the backside is such a trip.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

I went up to Shaver Lake in the Sierras with fellow goon Mental Contempt.

Nice! Looking at the map, did you do a loop on Tollhouse Rd and Huntington Lake Rd?

I had to take care of some family stuff up by Chico this weekend. Went on my bike and took the fun way home. Love the roads around Lake Berryessa.

PSA; it's Fall and we have reduced traction when it's cold and damp.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Low sided in what's a little bit deceiving of a corner. I think it's decreasing radius and that's not super obvious at first glance.

Cold, wet and ran out of skill.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

PSA; it was 70F+ around Lake Berryessa today. Perfect conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Buster's in Calistoga. Didn't make it to the Glory Hole, which is a bummer. This is roughly the route we did, as an out and back:

google maps link

dema fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 17, 2019