Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for the effort post, Sagebrush. As a long time Bay Area resident and a new biker I appreciate it.

pokie is in Santa Clara and rides a '14 Kawasaki Ninja 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on a nice trip to Boulder Creek from Saratoga today. A fly got into my helmet right after 9 & 35 intersection. That was good times. On the way back there were 4 or so cops hanging out on the stretch between that intersection and Saratoga. A kindly biker warned me about them with a helmet tapping gesture (is that standard practice?), but I am a noob and wasn't speeding anyway. Excellent road overall, but I will pack some cloth and cleaning fluid for the helmet shield next time.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ElMaligno posted:

The only things stopping me are that I don't have any camping gear or experience. But those are easy to solve.

The main thing is that my current helmet gives me about an hour of driving time before it gets kinda uncomfortable. Two and it gets really loving baaad. :(

Just make frequent stops. It's 3-4 hours drive, shouldn't be impossible. Camping isn't hard as long as you can cook ok with a gas stove or whatnot. It might be a good idea to look up how to make one out of a can or buy one. Then again there are probably good bike camping guides out there.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

mad.radhu posted:

I love riding around in this area so much. I ride up highway 9 to 35 to Alice's and back really often. Southbay, white FZ-07

I do this all the time too and am based in San Jose area. Still a noob, but it's so much fun.

Btw, have any of you been down Page Mill road south of 280? It feels way twistier than the segment of 9 between Saratoga and 35.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

I have!

In a car. :negative: I need to fix my radiator so I can hit it on the bike. I started commuting exclusively on 280 just because the view is so much more beautiful than 101. gently caress an extra 15 minutes on my commute.

What kind of bike are you on? I'm also in San Jose.

Yeah, I drove there in my car and thought it could be fun on a bike. I also only go on 280 when going north - 101 always has a crash or something stalling traffic.

I am a noob with a ninja 300. We could go on a ride sometime if you are ok with someone going relatively slow - I only go over the limit by 10mph or so on 9/35 etc.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hammers posted:

I've only been riding for 2 months though, mostly commuting between San Jose and Mountain View every day on 101. I love riding so far but I'm ready for something a little less gutless. SV650 or FZ07 probably.

I have the same bike, same year and all. How fast do you go on the stretch of 9 between Saratoga and 35? I feel like I am not ready for a bigger bike until I have pretty great control there.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hammers posted:

I'm 95% just commuting, so I want a bike that can get up to speed more easily because some of these short freeway merges are sketchy as fvck.

I never found the acceleration lacking. Sure it's no serious sports bike, but it's got 0-60 of 5 seconds or so. But, hey, whatever helps with your peace of mind. I just got a new job offer and am thinking of jumping to a liter bike...

NeuralSpark posted:

Is there any interest in organizing a bay area goon ride one weekend? I've got 0 experience over in the east bay, and up for tooling around over there to learn the fun roads.

Sure, I would be up for it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

mad.radhu posted:

Did you meet the horrific tumor on the way up about 8 turns from the top

this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuh3bJ2aDLo&t=41s (0:43 ish)

Oh yeah, I know and love this guy. I drive there several times a week for practice, and hit it may be once - didn't even notice.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I made it up Mt Hamilton for the third time today. It seems to get colder every time I go even though summer is getting closer. The top was entirely in a cloud. This time I went further east and up Mines Rd instead of heading back. The descent is a bit iffy on account of uneven road surface and gravel patches, but the going gets easy afterward.

Next on the list is Calaveras Rd.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^Nice BMW.

I crashed my Ninja 300 yesterday on Pinehurst Rd going south. I was following my experienced buddy and trying to go too fast (perhaps 25 mph) into the turn in that link. I was trying for a late apex going close to a center line but could not steer enough to stay in my lane. I pushed and leaned more to get back into my lane, and the bike fell in a lowside crash. My gear saved my rear end, or most of it anyway, while the bike went down the cliff at the second white marker past the guard rail. There is a steep cliff down there full of car carcasses and discarded furniture. Miraculously the bike stopped the descent about 10 ft below the road and tow truck was able to get it out. Only real damage was the broken panel that holds the right foot peg and brake lever.

Pics:

The angle makes it hard to see how steep it is

But you can see it here after the bike has been dragged up a few feet.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hammers posted:

Sorry to hear about your crash pokie. Could have been worse, but I guess it could have been better too :v:.

I broke that thing too, I dropped my bike the first day I had it by going into a deep pothole at the corner of Mckee and White in San Jose.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/50aa3866f8700226a4146639/footrests

The part number is 35063A . I think it took me about 15 minutes to change it out.

It was a good learning experience. In retrospect unless I braked before entering the turn, there was no better outcome - I don't think there was enough space to straighten out and brake, for example.

Yup that's the one. I am considering whether to replace the fairings too... That will cost way more, obviously.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I did that a couple of weeks back, before the lowside crash - it's a fun road, but the way down is sketchy as hell, at least for someone of my experience level. I don't think I exceeded 15 mph. I just got back from a trip down 9 and 92 to 1 and back - picked up some cheap fruit at the end. 9 is still nice and cool, compared to the city scape anyway.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

poo poo, man. I am glad the damage to your person seems relatively minor. Recover well!

Did she merge into you or what?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for sharing, Dema. Nice striple.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hwy 9 was pretty chill in the early morning - I took my new Brutale for its first spin in the twisties after spending last morning getting the tools to install frame sliders.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah, that commute sucks unless you leave late - I rode from P. hill to Santa Clara at 7:30 on Wednesday and it was empty.

I took the long way to SF today by going on 9 to 35 to 92 etc. It was fun. Only saw one car on all of 35.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Yeah, I do that some mornings. But starting at Pagemill. No better way to start a day.

North end of Pagemill? I came down that way to 35 in a car once, and it seemed pretty tough - tight blind corners everywhere. How fast do you go on this road?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This morning I and a buddy went down 9 to Santa Cruz and back up 1, 92, 35. 1 was covered with fog and cold as gently caress. I did not expect to need cold weather gloves. Some hot chocolate in Half Moon Bay helped :].

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

Ya all is good. If anyone else wants to drop in, PM me for address. There's only room for one shitlord in my garage and that's me so please don't show up if you're incapable of rising above your nature. :)

I would love to come by and say hello. Don't have PMs. ---

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 12, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

mad.radhu posted:

Thank god for lanesplitting.

said "huge void" from my helmet cam:

This brought traffic down to one lane. whee.

Where is this?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ugh. I am going to a party in Santa Cruz tomorrow and wanted to take 84->35 back. Ah well, hwy 9 is good too :F

Thanks for the warning.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I braved 84 to 35 on my way back from S Cruz today. I saw may be 5 cops. A couple next to 1 and 84 intersection and 2 or 3 at Alice's. One of them pulled a car over after pinging it with a radar gun. All of 35 was clear to Saratoga from there.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Here's a neat ride I went on today:

Map link

Get to Hollister via 101 and 25 and continue through picturesque rolling hills between 101 and I-5 past East entrance to Pinnacles National Park (feel free to make a pit stop - it's gorgeous). The road varies between gentle curves, long straight highway and some easy twisties. The traffic is very light, so you can go very fast with little danger if you wish. There is no gas between Tres Pinos and King City - make sure to load up. Road quality is great. You can get gas for the return trip at the linked destination and either travel back up 25 or 101. Trip time from San Jose and back without excessive speeding is about 5 hours. A variation suggested to me by locals is going east at 198 fork to Coalingas and taking Los Gatos Creek Road back to 25.

No pics since phone battery burst on the trip.

Also, anyone want to do a small group ride? I have a pretty open schedule right now (unfortunately) and can do weekdays and weekends.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

I have weekends and Fridays available for the most part

Interested in a chill ride this Friday, before the weekend rains? You can contact me at removed

pokie fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 19, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dealer fixed the starter motor on my MV... So I am ready for rides again if anyone is interested.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on a little rainy trip from Saratoga down 9 to 35 intersection. 9 entrance is taped over and closed. There are multiple construction crews on the preceding stretch picking up fallen trees. The route is littered with leaves and dirt as perhaps expected, but also occasional large rocks and random plastic car parts. Ride carefully, fellow goons.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

Drop by my place tomorrow early afternoon if you wanna see supermotos and the 1290 smr. I'll be rebuilding the CBX. Pm or post contact info here for deets.

This was a good fun time. Thanks for inviting us and letting me try the Super Duke.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

hey!! so I'm new to the area, moved here this past weekend. if the rain isn't too bad tomorrow I was thinking I might go out and ride around, maybe check out PCH or whatever else. would be super stoked to have some riding friends out here!!

if the weather sucks tomorrow and the rest of the week like it's forecast to, definitely some Saturday in the near future! :sun:

Hi. Where are you located? I will probably ride again tomorrow...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I too live in Santa Clara. We should say hi :]. Contact me at gamebooter at gmail

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Highways 9 and 130 are closed today. The road worker at 130 said there was snow and ice, and they were finishing clearing it up today.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Tactical Lesbian posted:

hi!

i hope mount hamilton road opens soon :negative:

I will check it tomorrow morning.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

UUUUFGH

"SR 130 - MT HAMILTON RD
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 6.6 MI EAST TO 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680
/AT QUIMBY RD/ (SANTA CLARA CO) - DUE TO A WASHOUT - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

IS CLOSED FROM 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680 /AT QUIMBY RD/
(SANTA CLARA CO) TO THE SANTA CLARA/STANISLAUS CO LINE - DUE TO SNOW
- MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE - LOCAL RESIDENTS
WITH PROPER IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ALLOWED ACCESS"

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So instead the better option is the trusted 9 to Santa Cruz, 1, 84, 35 loop. I just went down this route today and it's clear albeit there are a couple of construction spots.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sar...d37.4270743!3e0

Interested parties can join me around 9:30 this Sunday. Reah me at gamebooter gmail

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

So we are meeting Sunday, not Saturday? Works for me!

Yes! 9:30. Please note the bullshit DST time change too.

mad.radhu posted:

oooh, is hwy 9 open again? Just in time for nice weather too, awesome

Yes! I rode the whole route seen in linked map this Wednesday. There is a stretch south of Felton that's closed, so you have to take Graham Hill Rd.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

San Jose Cycle Gear on Parkmoor is really large, bigger than SF one.

Also, I will part with my Icon Contra jacket for half price if interested. https://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-contra-jacket

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

Wow pokie, get it get it. Love how fearless he is now.

Also, that hawk shocks me every time with how thin it is.

:)

As sagebrush can tell there are still many things on the road I am afraid of.

mad.radhu posted:

dang, I'm happy about the rain and all but all the fun roads seem to be in a bad way around here.

good job keeping right side up there

Thanks. The usual Santa Cruz was in great shape last week.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Fine gravel on the road. Probably crap from the cliff on the side of the road got washed out in the rain. This happened one more time a minute later. I stopped and checked the tires 😂

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hello, AlpineStars homeboy :P.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Got up there today. FWIW, in terms of getting up to Skyline, Kings was almost entirely free of cars for me. Just cyclists. Compared to 92 and 84 which were parking lots.

What's Kings?

Yeah, I split all the way coming back south on 92 at 4pm. Some jerks by Alice's were going knee down one turn away from a cop on stake out. I gave them the sign, but they didn't react. I kinda hope he got them. Great weather for a ride. I am going earlier in the morning next time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Tactical Lesbian and I went on a nice ride from Saratoga to SF down the usual twisties. There are now 2 one way sections with lights on hwy 35 not too far south east from 84 intersection if memory serves.

pokie fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 19, 2017