Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah, I went riding yesterday morning. It felt over 90f at 9am. Ffff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I did the usual 35->84->1->92->32 loop this evening, and it was really fun. The coast was really cold, and there are still stupid one way lights around Woodside.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on Bear Creek Road from Boulder Creek today. Excellent road except for this part

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Capn Jobe posted:

Also, as an aside, my CEO is convinced that I have a super fast bike. "But it's a 650!" "You said it's based on the Ninja!"

Take 92 South to 35. Take 35 South East as far you'd like then ride back. When you have the confidence, make a loop via 84. If you want a riding buddy, I am in between jobs and have the time.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ditto.

Capn Jobe posted:

Alright, ride is done! I took 84 to Canada road to 92. Then turned south on 35 to Alice's. Stopped to rehydrate, then down 84 to home.

I am glad you liked my suggestion. If you survived the section of 84 between 35 and 280, you should be fine in most twisties around here.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

EvilCrayon posted:

Hello!

Anybody else have Mondays off to go rip around?

I do for at least next week. Ping me at gamebooter at gmail.com. I am in San Jose.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

I always go south from San Gregorio on Stage or 1. And then back through Pescadero to 84.

Careful on Pescadero Rd. It's still a fast-ish road but the turns are less uniform. Great road. It's just a little less forgiving than the rest on this route.

(From today on Pescadero Rd)

I just went on this route. I didn't take Pescadero back to 84 when it splits, but went up Alpine to 35 instead (https://goo.gl/maps/EcMCUGdSvzp). It's like 236 - narrow and dangerous with some sweet sweet turns. It was kinda lovely today due to all the foliage and random rain-related debris. This is a great route and shout be in OP.

Oh yeah, on the way back I saw some car that's driven off a cliff on the stretch of 9 between 35 and Saratoga. They were getting pulled out. Yay!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

There's been another slide on hwy 9. Avoid going south of Boulder Creek if you can. I was there at ~12:30 on a weekday and got stuck in stopped traffic for about 15 minutes. On the other hand, got lunch at Cafe Brasil, mhm.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on Sagebrush-recommended Ridgecrest to Fairfax route this morning. It was great, although the downhill section of the Fairfax road was sketchy as gently caress in the switchbacks for my skill level.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Oh cool, you are back. We should go ride in that area together!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Too warm and dry :<.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ought ten posted:

Thanks for the good advice Sagebrush and mad.radhu. Had an excellent day. Ended up going straight across the San Mateo bridge and over to Half Moon Bay. Started down the coast on 1 but it was cold and cloudy so we turned left on 84 and headed up to Alice's. First time there and man, that's a lot of nice bikes. And more leather than the Folsom Street Fair. Saw a Maclaren and an R8 too. Shot the poo poo with a crusty old timer. From there we went south until 9, then took a right and found 236. That's a crazy road. Slow but super fun. Finally made our way down to Santa Cruz, then headed back up 1 to go home. The marine layer held off and that ended up being a great way to end the day.

Nice. I go down those roads every other weekend. It's always fun. The stretch of 9 b/w 35 and Saratoga is always a blast if a bit crowded.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Good luck.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

It's too warm already :<

But I did some dirt riding today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcrQJcege7k&t=92s

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

drat, I was there yesterday around 9am. I saw the gravel in time though. Sorry about your crash, man :<.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nice pics.

I rode up here last Friday. https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...!4d-121.8985666

It's a pretty fun South Bay road. Pics https://imgur.com/a/qg5SPFQ

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

How does that work exactly? Do you have to wade into the water or what?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

That's pretty cool. Where did you get the squid? How long does it take to get a license?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is there a particular reason to camp? I was thinking of just showing up early one day.

Also, thanks for all the references!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sweet! The gf wanted to catch some, so we might go do that next month. And, yeah, I have a suitable cooler.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

bobo333 posted:

Which route did you take to get there? I was on 35 last weekend without realizing it becomes a 1 lane road. Not 1 lane each way, 1 lane total. It wasn't the best experience wondering if there's a car coming head on around every corner.

Something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San...d37.1605016!3e0

It's never a 1 lane, really.

Oh, yeah 35 south-east of 9 intersection is a bit meh, but traffic is very light there. Did you stop by Castle Rock park? It's killer.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

bobo333 posted:

I stopped at a few scenic points, don't know if they were in Castle Rock park or not. I'd do the ride again, but avoid the single lane portion of 35.

Next ride for me is the 1 up to Bodega Bay. Hoping the weather cooperates.

Ah, I meant the main attraction in the park itself. It's only 5 minutes from the parking lot - worth a view sometime.

If you are going that far north, go all the way to stewart's point and go East on Skaggs road. It's in the OP of the thread.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been doing the 84-1-92-35 thing quite a bit lately, still digging it. I got my bike just last October, and it took me awhile to get comfortable, so having the extra daylight to play with is just great. I'll be on my way home and just randomly decide to keep going all the way to the coast. I've been surprised how sparsely populated the roads up in the hills are during rush-hour; I guess the weekends are rush-hour up there. Anyway, I've been having a hankering to go on something resembling a proper motorcycle trip.

I'm looking for a destination that's like 2-4 hours away from Redwood City; I'm thinking just ride somewhere on a Saturday, explore/drink, stay the night, then ride back. Nothing too special. I don't even need to go anywhere particularly scenic (it's the ride that matters); I was thinking of going to Fresno by way of Hollister. Everyone knows Fresno is terrible, but I've never been. There's a good chance I'll be leaving California in the next couple years, so I want to explore a bit, even the lovely parts.

So I ask the thread: What is the best motorcycle route to Fresno by way of Hollister? Alternatively, what are some alternate destinations of similar distance?

In my book a 2-4 hr one way trip doesn't require a stay. It's easy enough to get some food and just ride back. Look in the OP for some good rides.

Some suggestions:

1. Taking highway 1 up north to Stewart's point and Skaggs road is quite fun. You could stay in some winery-infested town.

2. Similarly, you can take 1 south past Monterey until you hit the closure around Gorda - feel free to stay in Big Sur or stop there for a hike.

3. You could also ride through Yosemite to Mammoth Lakes and stay there. That should be sweet.

Afaik, there is no "good" ride to Fresno. 130 up mount Hamilton is a blast, but the rest of the ways is jsut straight boring highways. Hwy 10 by Hollister is great but doesn't go to Fresno. One of our moto goons, mental contempt, lives there. It doesn't sound like it's all that great for riding.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Not afaik.

I have had great success with this resource:

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

You can select the blue options menu > road conditions > full closures

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What time of year is that, dema?

I only really go to Yosemite in the winter for some climbing since it's much less busy.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

bobbert posted:

I went camping and crabbing out at Lawsons Landing/Dillon beach with my FZ1. Only the third time I have used my Ventura rack setup and it worked out great. I thought the bullshit crab net I could fit easily on my bike wouldn't work but I pulled up 6 dungeness crabs on Thursday morning in the first three hours of the day. I would recommend it if you are looking for something like that.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWJK13Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's our crabbo. We got one on our first try.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

bobbert posted:

OH man you made it that's awesome! Did you have fun? That looks like a pretty fat dunge in the cooler there. I am glad that net worked out too it was great for me.

Yeah, it was neat. The gf was in a bad mood, and it cheered her up. It was cold and bleary out there. There were only a dozen people or so on the pier. But we got our crab petty fast and had fun eating it later :].

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Capn Jobe posted:

Wish me luck!

Don't die on the death roundabout!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Capn Jobe posted:

2. The USB ports on my bike apparently don't work, and I forgot my Anker battery. As a result, I took a slightly more boring route here than I was planning (couldn't use navigation).

3. People drive really fast out here in ag country. I was going 80 in the slow lane through the Pacheco pass.

4. Not a lesson, but an anecdote. I spent awhile on highway 9 being tailgated by a Prius that had some issue where anytime they braked hard, it'd make this horrific scraping sound. Kinda distracting when going through those hairpins. I was able to find a turnout after a few miles and let him pass, but drat that was unnerving.

5. My Dad (total dadcyclist: BMW bike, aerostitch, the works) recommended, as a way to help with the heat, wearing a neckerchief and wetting it in the sink when stopping. Gotta say, this is a great idea.

Edit: one more! Those Heat-out garments that Cycle gear sells work great. Well, they don't really keep you cooler, but they definitely cut down on swampiness. Totally worth the $15 sale price.
Full :colbert: mode:

2. Memorize your route.

3. That's the fun part!

4. There is only one hairpin 9 afaik.

5. Best Dad.

Yeah, wet neck is great. I almost never ride w/o something on my neck anymore - getting sunburned sucks.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am in.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nice pics. Cool that you got a chopper in a shot. I never go to the Sierras on the weekends myself - it's such a pain.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am here to whine about the Dainese store in SF. I took my lady there yesterday and she spent almost 2 hours becoming a power ranger: racing leather pants, racing jacket that zips to said pants, boots to match - you get the picture. She is blessed with a wonderful figure, which bike gear does not accommodate as well as one might wish. So it took some time figuring it out. The sales rep did a lot of work trying all kinds of stuff until it all worked. When we got home, I realized that the top-of-the-goddamn-line jacket Dainese sells does not come with a back protector (3 out of 4 jackets I have bought for myself came with one stock). So I shoved one in, and now it doesn't fit anymore, not with the winter lining anyway, and a little iffy without it. Goddamn. I understand that I should have thought of it, but so should have the sales rep, especially given the amount and specificity of fit feedback he received from his customer.

E: They made it right after all; got the jacket exchanged for another one that works.

pokie fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 17, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sure, that works for me

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Niacin, shall we meet at Alice's at 9?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Bummed I'm out of town this weekend. Awkward conversation pauses is what I excel at.

Don't worry, we'll stop by your grazing grounds and take some photos.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Perfect!

In other news, the loop around Hawk Hill would be so good if it wasn't full of rangers and tourists.

The descent down the backside is such a trip.

Interesting. I have not gone there yet. I have only biked in Marin like 5 times so far. I imagine it's alright very early in the morning.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Voltage posted:

I'm going to be in Oakland all of October for job training and I'm getting a car rental budget but I figure ill rent a bike for at least some of the time - is there anything other than riders share and eagle rider? I'm leaning towards eagle since it's not just renting random bikes that may be questionably reliable.

If you are not a dick you can borrow my Wr250x.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Voltage posted:

That would be amazing - email me allidoistype at gmail dot com

OK, I emailed you just now.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hey folx. I found a free bike, lightly used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

Can you take those pics down? Insurance hasn't paid out yet.

I don't know what your problem is, maaan. The kickstarter still turns over and everything. It's a fine vehicle!