Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

The only things stopping me are that I don't have any camping gear or experience. But those are easy to solve.

The main thing is that my current helmet gives me about an hour of driving time before it gets kinda uncomfortable. Two and it gets really loving baaad. :(

If you can go an hour without needing to get gas then you're riding wrong. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
*drops zrx into first gear and does 70mph up the grapevine with ground glass for oil and a sandpaper filter*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

I do this all the time too and am based in San Jose area. Still a noob, but it's so much fun.

Btw, have any of you been down Page Mill road south of 280? It feels way twistier than the segment of 9 between Saratoga and 35.

I have!

In a car. :negative: I need to fix my radiator so I can hit it on the bike. I started commuting exclusively on 280 just because the view is so much more beautiful than 101. gently caress an extra 15 minutes on my commute.

What kind of bike are you on? I'm also in San Jose.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Yeah, I drove there in my car and thought it could be fun on a bike. I also only go on 280 when going north - 101 always has a crash or something stalling traffic.

I am a noob with a ninja 300. We could go on a ride sometime if you are ok with someone going relatively slow - I only go over the limit by 10mph or so on 9/35 etc.

Yeah, I'd be up for a ride when I'm back on two wheels. And I'm definitely able to have fun going sane speeds. Sometimes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
You want it, you're probably not ready.

I'm on 101 between SJ and San Mateo most days. What color is your ninja?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Someone let me borrow a bike. I swear I'll be careful.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

I can show your around all the local srarbucks.

What kind of Italian bikes do you rideown?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hammers posted:

Where's a good place in the south bay to get some new tires installed? Riding straight down the highway every day has taken it's toll :(

I bought mine at road rider. Had them installed at Sport Tech. This is all in San Jose on Monterey road.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Is your Goldwing green? Does it have an aftermarket horn?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

dema posted:

There's a Bay Area thread? poo poo, thought we were just all over on BARF or something.

d3ma is a noob in San Mateo with a white 2014 Ninja 300 ABS (casually for sale) and a black/red 2013 Triumph Street Triple R.

Commute between San Mateo and SoMA on 101 during the week. Get one or two rides in the mountains during the weekend.

Doing a big SoCal road trip later this week. Eight days. Down the coast. Palomar. Angeles Crest. Yosemite. Sonora Pass.

Got more info about that Ninja for sale? I have a friend in need of a vehicle since his car was just totaled today.

I spent the last year commuting to San Mateo on a zrx. Worst loving drivers in the world. Some fun little roads though.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 28, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NeuralSpark posted:

Yuuuuuup. Mission resident, Cupertino worker here.

When I told other riders that I was moving to the Bay area, it was all "wow that's a great place to ride!" and in reality you have to carry two sets of gear with you and it takes an hour and a half to get anywhere that isn't swarming with people.

I bought a loving Alpinestars Tech Touring jacket because I commuted from San Jose to San Mateo on 101. 40 degree temperature swings, plus riding through that Bay chill in Winter.

I switched to 280 for the scenery, and it is worth the extra ten minutes just to enjoy that highway. gently caress 101. I'm never using it again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, horns are easy to wire up. Honestly all you need is 12v straight from the battery, through a button, through the horn, back to ground. Unless the wiring harness is seriously destroyed I bet you can splice some new wires into whatever's left.

I got my horn and fan mixed up when I did my radiator swap. *bike gets hot* BLAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'll probably be back in the Bay in December. I've never done a group ride. We can all make fun of my chicken strips and poorly color coordinated gear.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

UUUUFGH

"SR 130 - MT HAMILTON RD
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 6.6 MI EAST TO 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680
/AT QUIMBY RD/ (SANTA CLARA CO) - DUE TO A WASHOUT - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

IS CLOSED FROM 9.8 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF I 680 /AT QUIMBY RD/
(SANTA CLARA CO) TO THE SANTA CLARA/STANISLAUS CO LINE - DUE TO SNOW
- MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE - LOCAL RESIDENTS
WITH PROPER IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ALLOWED ACCESS"

soooooo....?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So we are meeting Sunday, not Saturday? Works for me!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

So I'm in the process of rejoining the fold, after an absence of about a decade. Got my license late last year, and finally have some money together for a bike/gear/insurance. Seeing as I will need gear first (helmet/jacket/pants/gloves/boots), where would folks recommend I go for that?

I'd prefer to go to a brick and mortar place, as opposed to online, as I may need things like fitting advice. Also I want to be able to browse and try stuff on.

I live just a couple blocks away from the CycleGear in Redwood City, but that one is seriously tiny, and they don't carry HJC helmets, or any non-super-expensive helmets that work well with glasses (I've had the best luck with HJC on that front). I've heard good things about the location in San Jose, and Santa Clara Cycle Accessories is also an option (when I last had a bike I couldn't afford proper gear, but used to go there to ogle stuff). I like that CycleGear has a discount for CMSP graduates; does Santa Clara Cycle Accessories offer that?

Anyway, which is the closest thing to a one-stop-shop for gear?

Road Rider on Monterey in San Jose is pretty good. They'll order anything you want from online and they have a decent selection of Rev'It, Alpinestars, and Dainese gear. Plus a few lovely American sized pieces if you need. I was there last week and they had a bunch of good stuff in closeout, including Draggin Jeans if you're looking for casual riding pants. My only real knock on them is their helmet selection. I love my doofie Icon helmets, and they don't have too many of those.

Several people mentioned the Cycle Gear on Parkmoor and I will second them for helmets. Between them and Road Rider you should be able to get a pretty good outfit together. Last time I was at Cycle Gear they had some new AVG helmets with flip-down sun visors, which are pretty cool if you hate changing visors out all the time.

Edit

Sorry to be crude, but if you've got a sizable gut and wear a size large or so I have an unused First Gear mesh jacket I'd be willing to give you. It's an extremely American fit, so it won't even be worth trying on unless you're comfortable describing yourself as Homer Simpson shaped.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 21, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

Well, I went and did it. Dropped a cozy $800 at Cycle Gear on Parkmoor on Saturday. I went in with unrealistically low expectations as far as helmet pricing goes, but I ended up going for one of those AGV helmets (the K3). Most of my stuff is being shipped to me, but I'm really having a good feeling about the helmet. Not only does the K3 work well with glasses, but the flip-down sunshade works with glasses as well. Having that was kind of the holy grail of helmets for me.

Now all I need is a drat bike.

Glad to hear it worked out! What jacket, pants, and gloves did you pick? If anything is Bilt, return immediately.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

Yup, the shade is far enough forward that the glasses don't get in the way. I wear these frames most days, which are not particularly form-fitting, so if it works with these it should work with most frames.

Ha, I actually bought some Bilt pants (the Ironworker cargos) and was debating asking the thread if it was a bad idea. I mostly chose those because everything else they had was either overpants, or $400 (and the Bilts can take hip armor, though they don't come with it). I'm not against overpants, I'll probably end up with a pair eventually, but I'd rather start with something simpler (and cooler). I'd totally be willing to swap out the Bilts if someone can recommend a better pair of textile pants that are $200 or under. Actually leather would be fine, just nothing that costs $400.

But here's the rest of the order:

Jacket: Alpinestars T-GP R Air
Helmet: AGV K3 SV Avior
Boots: Alpinestars SMX-1 R Vented
Gloves: Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon

Colorwise, I kinda went all out on day-glo. I'm okay with that. I realize none of this will be suitable for rain or even particularly cold weather, but I'm not planning on commuting on the bike regularly (I usually commute by bicycle, it's my main exercise) and we're getting to some warmer weather.

Return the Bilt.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Capn Jobe posted:

Been taking the Vulcan S around Redwood City, and to work (also in RWC) a few days this week. Definitely improving every time I take it out, but am still not as confident as I would like to be.

Anyone have any road recommendations in this area that aren't particularly challenging, but something at least a bit more interesting than going in a straight line from stoplight to stoplight?

Also, as an aside, my CEO is convinced that I have a super fast bike. "But it's a 650!" "You said it's based on the Ninja!"

What color? I'm working in Redwood right now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Hey folx. I found a free bike, lightly used.

Can you take those pics down? Insurance hasn't paid out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Toe Rag posted:

Hello, I suppose I'll introduce myself. I am new and slow but down to go for a ride if anyone else is :shobon: I'm in SF, so mostly sticking to the peninsula for now, trying to avoid the freeways.

Freeways are your friend. Avoid the city streets.