Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

I live just a couple blocks away from the CycleGear in Redwood City, but that one is seriously tiny, and they don't carry HJC helmets, or any non-super-expensive helmets that work well with glasses (I've had the best luck with HJC on that front).

I have a HJC CL-17 and while it's a good helmet and great value, I wear glasses and have found it tough to get them seated properly. May just be my head or my particular frames but it happens with two different sets. The visor also doesn't seal as well as I'd like at highway speed but with earplugs it's not an issue.

Great value for the money, just wanted you to be aware of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Heh. I'm looking at this for my first gear:
Helmet Shoei RF-1200 Helmet
Spine Guard Alpinestars Nucleon KR-1i Back Protector Insert
Gloves Alpinestars GP Plus R Gloves
Jacket Alpinestars GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket
Pants REV'IT! Sand 3
Boots Alpinestars SMX 6 v2 Air Boots

And Im currently waffling on the pants as different brands mean I probably can't zip them together. :(

My pants came with a zipper strip that you could sew onto the jacket to make it compatible, so that might be an option. Of course I lost that piece and compulsively pull my jacket down at every stop light.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

So I finally got a thing:
Hello friend, I have the same bike in black. Enjoy!

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

pokie posted:

Afaik, there is no "good" ride to Fresno. 130 up mount Hamilton is a blast, but the rest of the ways is jsut straight boring highways. Hwy 10 by Hollister is great but doesn't go to Fresno. One of our moto goons, mental contempt, lives there. It doesn't sound like it's all that great for riding.

Yeah - Fresno itself, and probably most of the routes here from elsewhere, are not especially exciting. Coming down from Yosemite, or maybe via Highway 49 through gold country, would be exceptions. I’ve only ridden to Hollister and back once (to ride with Pokie), and a lot of the ride is not great. I took 152 through Los Banos (flat and windy) then up over the Pacheco Pass (extremely windy!) and down to Hollister. The best I could say about it is that you will see a chunk of California’s agricultural heartland. Didn’t really enjoy it until the bottom of the pass, and the actual ride from Hollister down to Coalinga. That would be another option for getting to Fresno from Hollister (go to Coalinga, take 198 over to 145 or 41), but again, not necessarily exciting.

There are lots of places to ride in the foothills and mountains outside of Fresno, which is where I usually go on weekends - but if you were planning on stopping here and turning around, you’d miss them. Yosemite was mentioned, and there are lots of back roads to various lakes and forest areas and stuff like that. Highway 49 from Oakhurst and on would be interesting.

If you want to PM me or if you are in the Layerdan Slack chat, I’d be happy to go into more detail. And if you end up choosing to ride here, I feel like I should present you with some sort of commemorative “I rode to Fresno...and all I got was this lousy T-shirt” souvenir.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

Thanks for the recs, guys. I thought of Fresno pretty much because it isn't exciting. In fact, taking a leisurely cruise through farm country and maybe some gentle hills is the sort of thing I'm looking for in this trip. Also, there is just something inherently funny about taking a trip to Fresno. I'd just like to explore a new place, eat some food, go drinking, etc.
Let me know if you end up planning a trip and I’d be happy to try to help with a route that shows the best of this area, recommend places to eat/drink, or even give you a tour if I’m around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

Wish me luck!

Welcome! Stay hydrated; we’re hitting triple-digits this week. If you’re staying downtown, Tioga-Sequoia Brewing is in that area (near the baseball park) and has a beer garden.