Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Z3n posted:

BMW X-Moto. There might be one in the crew up for sale soon.

Just moved here and I'm about to be in the market. I would like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nah, he didn't. I'll PM him. Thanks

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Capn Jobe posted:

Well, I went and did it. Dropped a cozy $800 at Cycle Gear on Parkmoor on Saturday. I went in with unrealistically low expectations as far as helmet pricing goes, but I ended up going for one of those AGV helmets (the K3). Most of my stuff is being shipped to me, but I'm really having a good feeling about the helmet. Not only does the K3 work well with glasses, but the flip-down sunshade works with glasses as well. Having that was kind of the holy grail of helmets for me.

Now all I need is a drat bike.

What makes it good for glasses? I've been happy with Scorpions for the last couple helmets but I suspect they're to blame for one of my sunglasses' ear arms breaking in half.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Capn Jobe posted:

I'm able to slide my glasses on without feeling like they're wedged in or I'm forcing them.

We'll see how it goes with regular use, but I've got a good feeling.

And as a bonus, you might not even need sunglasses with the flip-down sunshade. I'm pumped that I won't have to switch glasses.

Yeah, I'd love a sunshade. And it fits over your glasses too?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Looking for some ride recommendations. A friend is in town this weekend and if the weather holds Sunday we're thinking of renting bikes and going out for the day. I know there's good stuff in the Santa Cruz mountains and the south end of the peninsula. We'd be coming from the east bay. I'd like to ride most of the day with a stop for lunch somewhere, but one important restriction is we don't want to go more than a few hours ride from the east bay (my wife's due date is less than two weeks away).

Any specific routes people recommend?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

How long of a ride and how twisty?

If you want to stay in the East Bay, go to Livermore and take Mines Rd. south until The Junction (notable roadside restaurant/bar in the middle of nowhere), then continue on 130 south / San Antonio Valley Rd. up the back side of Mt. Hamilton and back down into San Jose. About 80 miles and just gorgeous the whole way.

If you want to cross the bridges, then the classic easy one is San Mateo bridge to 92, up to the top of the ridge, 35 south to Alice's. Then from there you either take 84 W to San Gregorio and ride along the ocean towards Pescadero, or continue 35 S to the Big Basin redwoods. Then there are a variety of different paths you can take to Santa Cruz. Also about 80 miles give or take.

Thanks. I think we’ll do something like the latter. Might try to loop around 36 a couple times, maybe come back up 1.

Is Alice’s going to be insane at lunch? Are there better spots to eat?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Just keep in mind that if it's getting late in the day (after 4:30 PM or so), the marine layer will be coming in on the coast, and the ride up 1 will be rapidly getting foggy and cold. I would aim to stay on the bay side of the peninsula if the sun starting to go down by the time you're heading back.

Good point

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks for the good advice Sagebrush and mad.radhu. Had an excellent day. Ended up going straight across the San Mateo bridge and over to Half Moon Bay. Started down the coast on 1 but it was cold and cloudy so we turned left on 84 and headed up to Alice's. First time there and man, that's a lot of nice bikes. And more leather than the Folsom Street Fair. Saw a Maclaren and an R8 too. Shot the poo poo with a crusty old timer. From there we went south until 9, then took a right and found 236. That's a crazy road. Slow but super fun. Finally made our way down to Santa Cruz, then headed back up 1 to go home. The marine layer held off and that ended up being a great way to end the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I wouldn’t pay 2x prices, but when a friend visited me last year he rented a Versys for the day from dubbelju and as far as I know it was an easy process and a good bike. That’s probably not very helpful information, but it’s what I know.