Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Stewarts Point to Geyserville:
https://goo.gl/maps/qUfi5XEo1DF2

Fill up in Stewarts Point, 'cause it's 43 miles of nothing but scenery and no cell service. I was contemplating spending the night camped out underneath the Shadow in this picture until a kindly farmer siphoned the gas out of his lawn mower and gave it to me. :(

NeuralSpark is in San Francisco and Cupertino, and rides a Ducati Monster 796 (no inverted mirrors) and a BMW R1200RT. Up for whatever, and have access to a "cabin" out near Yosemite that sleeps 22. I'm up on Skyline most Saturdays being a hooligan.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

[Speaking of which, I rode down to Alice's today (did the #2 loop I posted in the OP). Great ride and scenery, as usual; colder than expected up top, as usual (I should really get used to this); got stuck behind a car doing literally 15mph on the 40mph Hwy 92 on the way in, as usual.

Was it a Prius? It's always a Prius for me.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Took tomorrow off to head north up 1, and wander around on the BMW. Going to attempt to make Fort Bragg but will probably call it somewhere around Point Arena.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Trip report!

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/tTQuZvzYwHU2

I got started a little later than I had wanted because I forgot to set an alarm. I'd been expecting to be on the road by 7:30, but didn't actually get moving until almost 9:30. Oops. I had also planned on bringing my Canon 6D setup but got lazy leaving the house, so I've only got cellphone pictures from the day. I'd not been this far north on a day that was sunny so having color to look at while riding was a nice change, as the plant life along the way is all still green and the sun made the ocean lovely shades of blue. The weather out by the coast was perfect; the bike registered 70F to 80F the whole way. Once I crossed over mountains and started down to Boonville it got up into the 90s and made me regret my black leather jacket.

"Loading" up the rolling couch. I took a hoodie to put on under my jacket "just in case". It never left the side bag.

Obligatory GG Bridge shot sent to all my relatives:

Handlebar selfie

Seeing Tomales Bay Oyster Company with an empty parking lot was strange since it's always overflowing on the weekends. I always forget how empty it gets north of Bodega Bay and past Jenner.

Cattle grate, but I've never seen any cows on the road.

Stewarts Point shot for Z3n

Lunch in Point Arena around 1:30. The sandwich from the cafe at the south end of town was pretty good, and only $6.50.

A few miles past Point Arena I took a right onto Mountain View Rd, which goes 27 miles over the mountain to Boonville. The first 12ish miles up the mountain was nicely paved, empty, and an all-around amazing ride. The back 15 miles down the mountain had rough road in a few places, but not terrible enough for concern. There was evidence of some logging in places, but I didn't encounter any trucks. I took my boots off and climbed down to the river in the picture and walked around some to cool off. That felt great as the bike was registering 95F.

Once I got into Boonville, I took 128 down to Cloverdale and hopped on 101-S and headed home. 128 was a nice ride as well, but not as empty.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 7, 2016

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

mrlego posted:

This now makes much more sense.

IMO the food at Alice's on Skyline isn't great; it's just a place to go.

EDIT'ed for opinion. Also the service is slow to the point of almost unacceptable.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 4, 2016

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Is there any interest in organizing a bay area goon ride one weekend? I've got 0 experience over in the east bay, and up for tooling around over there to learn the fun roads.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Trip report!

I rode Sagebrush's Mt. Hamilton loop from the OP, and it was a nice ride. Hot as hell once past the observatory, but nice anyway. The road surface going down the backside of themountain on 130 was rough in places; I felt the front slide a few times. I had my 6D w/ 24-70 II with me today and took a few pictures.

Side bag open, camera bag fit perfectly:

New desktop picture:

Pano from Lick Observatory:

Larger 11k by 3k version of this here: http://thisis.tips/hamiltonRide/20160619-IMG_5204-Pano-Full.jpg

The road up the hill:

"This would be a great place to bring my dro...oh :( "

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone headed to WSBK at Laguna Seca? I'm going to be riding down and camping at the track.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone ride over in the East Bay today? Alice's / 82 / San Gregorio was a poo poo show that I bailed out of right quick.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Mark Twain: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

It drives me insane. I wake up here in the city and it's like living in a cloud. Misty, cold and overcast 24 hours a day in the summer. Yesterday I rode down to San Jose, and as soon as you hit Stanford it's suddenly hot and sunny again. Rode back up around midnight and the whole south bay was pleasantly warm, then again blam, reach the Crystal Springs reservoir and it's cold and clammy fog and mist all the way home. Blech.

I tend to stay on the inside of the bay late at night if possible (i.e. take the 101 rather than 280) because it's so much warmer on the east side of the mountains.

Yuuuuuup. Mission resident, Cupertino worker here.

When I told other riders that I was moving to the Bay area, it was all "wow that's a great place to ride!" and in reality you have to carry two sets of gear with you and it takes an hour and a half to get anywhere that isn't swarming with people.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

My hope is they ticket bicyclists who are in the middle of the lane around a blind corner going 4mph uphill.

Come on man, you gotta share the road! :barf:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

My wife is leaving tomorrow on a solo ride to SF to spend a week at the office. Probably getting to Coos Bay tomorrow, Fort Bragg Sunday, and SF Monday. First couple days will be a schlep. She wanted to know if there were any must-see sights or detours between Fort Bragg and SF since that's only a 170 mile day on 1.

e: I am super jealous right now

Those 170 miles could take most of the day, as 1 can be pretty slow going on the weekend. Point Reyes Lighthouse is pretty cool, but otherwise it's pretty empty out there.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I rode Indian Valley Road / Highway 25 from San Miguel to Hollister yesterday, which I ventured on once before a few years back. It was a much more pleasent ride now that everything is green, instead of the "golden" I experienced before. I had my drone strapped to the back of my RT and did a little automated flying where it followed me down the valley, but I haven't processed the video yet. I may head out there next weekend after the rain.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 20, 2017

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Also in. Also in the city.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Voltage posted:

I'm going to be in Oakland all of October for job training and I'm getting a car rental budget but I figure ill rent a bike for at least some of the time - is there anything other than riders share and eagle rider? I'm leaning towards eagle since it's not just renting random bikes that may be questionably reliable.

I had a coworker rent an HD through EagleRider in SF and they gave him a busted up Road King. Rear brake that wouldn't grab due to low fluid in the reservoir, lovely suspension that bottomed out, stuff like that. Not having ridden a Harley myself, I assume they aren't supposed to be like that but make sure you give it good look at it before riding off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Skyline and Alice's on a weekday is pretty decent.

A buddy and I do breakfast there some Friday mornings, and it's a much nicer experience.