Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love riding around in this area so much. I ride up highway 9 to 35 to Alice's and back really often. Southbay, white FZ-07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hammers posted:

get up to speed more easily because some of these short freeway merges are sketchy as fvck.

Literally my justification for getting a Fiesta ST as my cage

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hammers posted:

Finally made it up HWY 9 yesterday:

I went around 12:30 or so and the road was mostly empty. There were a couple of drivers unwilling to move out of the way but that's what the passing sections are for, right? :v: I might upload the footage later so ya'll can scrutinize my riding and call me names

Did you meet the horrific tumor on the way up about 8 turns from the top

this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuh3bJ2aDLo&t=41s (0:43 ish)

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 18, 2016

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sorry to hear about your crash pokie, glad you weren't hurt.

btw protip for anyone heading out, this is a great way of checking how foggy it is on the top of both sides of the valley: https://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I switched to 280 for the scenery, and it is worth the extra ten minutes just to enjoy that highway. gently caress 101. I'm never using it again.

:same:

Cool poo poo up at Alice's this afternoon:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Skywood Trading Post repainted their parking lot. I'm not sure if it's a good thing:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Skywood gets super pissy about people parking there and going to Alice's. They've had signs up all over the place about it for years...now I guess they're going to start calling the cops.

Their loss.

I've eaten at Alice's once and didn't think it was very good, however STP's breakfast burritos are delicious.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thank god for lanesplitting.

CHP posted:

Aug 17 2016 7:28AM [28] A24-085M PER 24-85M 4 X 4 FT HOLE W/ VOID UNDER REBAR THAT GOES DWN 5-8 FT #3 LN IS A SINK HOLE UNDER THE FWY / CAN LOOK FWY 8 FT DWN - THIS IS ON BORDER BTWN RWC AND SJ ON BOTTOM OF RAMP / HUGE VOID
Aug 17 2016 7:24AM [24] A24-085M NEED DOT SUPERVISOR - 5-6 PEICES OF REBAR EXPOSED and CONCRETE ASPHALT MIXTURE IS MISSING DIVERTING TRFC OO #3 / 1-2 LN OPEN

said "huge void" from my helmet cam:

This brought traffic down to one lane. whee.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

Where is this?

approximately: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3531825,-122.0607353,16.83z

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_30257904/sunnyvale-sinkhole-highway-85-disrupts-morning-commute

The road was reopened fully by the time I commuted home, it seemed fairly patched up. Or as patched up as roads get around here. I give it six months.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 18, 2016

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
:siren:

quote:

The California Highway Patrol and San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office, with the assistance of the Burlingame, Brisbane and Foster City Police Departments, will be conducting a Saturation
Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP), operation on Saturday, August 20, 2016, with focused enforcement on collision causing factors involving motorists, motorcyclist and bicyclists.

The focus of the enforcement will be in the unincorporated areas of SR35 and SR84, locally known as Kings Mountain, Sky Londa, and La Honda. The hours of this operation will be from 8:00 am
to 5:00

Beware!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Soooo "collision causing factors" means "any motorcyclists riding slightly aggressively" I assume.

It'd be nice if they would also pull over cars who cross the double yellow and cyclists who weave in the lane without checking their blind spots.

My hope is they ticket bicyclists who are in the middle of the lane around a blind corner going 4mph uphill.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
seeing the sun out again gets me all hyped up for spring. I'm a huge wuss and don't really want to go ride skyline until it's a little warmer

ElMaligno posted:

5 seconds in paint

nice

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 15, 2017

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

So instead the better option is the trusted 9 to Santa Cruz, 1, 84, 35 loop. I just went down this route today and it's clear albeit there are a couple of construction spots.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sar...d37.4270743!3e0

Interested parties can join me around 9:30 this Sunday. Reah me at gamebooter gmail

oooh, is hwy 9 open again? Just in time for nice weather too, awesome

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Having hwy 9 open again is nice. There's lots of dirt on the road, and there's a couple spots that are down to one lane with flaggers or lights.

Also there's so much water in the hills now there's a few spots on 35 that just have water sort of freely flowing across the road, so watch out! https://gfycat.com/GraciousBriefChimneyswift

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dang, I'm happy about the rain and all but all the fun roads seem to be in a bad way around here.

good job keeping right side up there

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bought a KTM 390 Duke and it's tiny and hilarious and sounds like a tractor

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Okay I took the 390 Duke up to Alices and back this morning, and holy poo poo what a hilarious ride. I don't have the vocabulary really to describe it without plagiarizing various auto/bike journalists, but it just feels so stable and composed, noticeably more so than my FZ-07. It's very much 'slow bike fast' - throw it at a corner at any speed you can reasonably get up to, and you can be pretty certain it'll just go around it.

Hwy 9 still has a couple spots with stop lights set up, 2 or 3 spots with water flowing across the road, same with Skyline. It's a gorgeous day out, go ride!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Still have your fz07 mad? My Ninja 300 was fun as long as I could set my own pace. Trying to pass cars sucked though. That bike was only fun when you could just carry momentum.

That said, I think I'm going try and trade my Street Triple for a DRZ400SM. Or something along those lines. Street Triple overlaps too much with my other bikes.

Yeah, the 07 is mine, the 390 duke I split with my sister so she could learn to ride. I've been eyeing the 2017 FZ-09 though, having ABS and t/c with a little more power might be nice.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

Have you gone on any long road trips on the fz07? are the stock seats comfy for long rides? Is there anything that bothers you about the bike?

Nothing really bothers me about the FZ - maybe the stock exhaust is a big tame, sounds like a sewing machine. Akrapovic titanium swap fixed that up.

I haven't done any long rides with it really, I've spent several hours riding twisty stuff around the bay here without discomfort though, the stock seat is pretty okay.

Here was Skyline today:

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 30, 2017

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Was hopping today.

STP

Did a good ride with friends. Up Kings. Skyline to 9. 9 to Felton Empire. Empire Grade. Pine Flat, Bonny Doon. Hwy 1 north to 84. Skyline to 92 and home.

Just out there taking it easy.

every once in a while between complaining about taxes and housing costs and commute times, a day like today happens and living in CA seems like a bargain. Gorgeous pics.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
If someone could talk me out of trading up from an FZ-07 to the FZ-09 that'd be great

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

You should buy a speed triple instead.

But for that price I could just get an FZ-10

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

you should buy an FZ-10

I think that would be too much power for me! Also part of the attractiveness of the 09 is the new riding modes/abs etc at a $9k price point.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
GP sports in San Jose off Camden will have a 2017 FZ-09 demo bike from Yamaha in on Wednesday for test rides apparently.

Also I took my FZ-07 out and cleaned it up a bit to take pictures for a for-sale ad, but it's so pretty I almost don't want to go forward with that. :negative:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
No overtly justifiable reason other than being curious how more power would feel. Insurance would go down (weirdly enough), ABS and T/C would be neat to have.

I did get complimented by a guy on an FZ-09 over the weekend after he caught up to my FZ-07 at the stoplight on the way down Hwy 9. Dunno.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
There's also a spot on 35 with a stoplight now just south of Alice's.

Also it was ---> loving hot <--- yesterday with my cage indicating an air temp on highway 17 of 111f

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
edit: nevermind

I'm looking forward to all the roads being repaired again. Sitting in the sun for 5 minutes waiting for a stoplight on 35 to change sure gets steamy.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 7, 2017

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
who did this

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

There's been another slide on hwy 9. Avoid going south of Boulder Creek if you can. I was there at ~12:30 on a weekday and got stuck in stopped traffic for about 15 minutes. On the other hand, got lunch at Cafe Brasil, mhm.

:negative:

man they haven't even repaired all the roads up there from last winter yet :(

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alice's is always busy on the weekends when the weather is nice, but you can always go across the street to the market and get a sandwich.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
it's so fuckin nice outside, go ride

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 31, 2018

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Signed up for the Sonoma track day on 5/21, join me cowards

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
borrowing a truck from a family member, probably. There's at least one other non-goon rider I know going, so I dunno - details are tbd.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hi watch out for gravel on 130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34t-cO2Bbg4

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 14, 2018

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

drat, I was there yesterday around 9am. I saw the gravel in time though. Sorry about your crash, man :<.

Thanks, i'm a little bruised but I had all my poo poo on so i'm good. Bike will need new bars, turn signal, and mirror, other than that it's fine. Engine crash bars did great.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did a track day up at Sonoma on monday and holy poo poo I can't recommend it enough, the guys at z2trackdays really run a well oiled machine

I'm going to be thinking of how much faster I could go on turn 6 for months

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
go do a track day, it kicks hella rear end

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just got back from doing Thunderhill west reverse which was fun. Folks were constantly running off the end of the front straight at turn one, since you crest this little hill and suddenly are confronted with trying to find your braking point.

little toasty though, I think if I was going back to Thunderhill it'd be in the spring or fall.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 29, 2018

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Might as well post to give heads up - looks like I'm gonna rent a bike for a couple days when i'm out there for Fleet Week. I'll remind crew when the date approaches but figured i'd give early notice. Love to meet up with some crew and roll around, though you may have to deal with my first-season-itis. that KTM 1090 that one shop has looks pretty sweet

Not to be that guy, but didn't you just start riding? And you're going to rent a liter bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was coming down hwy 9 at about 12:30 and passed a herd of about 100 groms/z125s looking like they were having a grand old time

edit: typical

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 29, 2018