Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues

i think my arts been coming along lately :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Android Blues posted:

oo. neat

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Android Blues posted:

it's good, i like the juxtaposition of the skeleton bits with the live bits and the combination of normal, dry and void horror skin

hi how are you ♥

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

this is what my sketchbook looks like. I like to organize my drawing ideas into hundreds of thumbnails, so that I have composition ideas at all times.

here is a better example. I have pages and pages of these things, just so I won't run out of ideas, and since they're tiny thumbnails, you don't have to worry about them being good or anything.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 5, 2016

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

this is what my sketchbook looks like. I like to organize my drawing ideas into hundreds of thumbnails, so that I have composition ideas at all times.

here is a better example. I have pages and pages of these things, just so I won't run out of ideas, and since they're tiny thumbnails, you don't have to worry about them being good or anything.

this is so cool to see

FluffieDuckie

i love this so much

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Salmiakki

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Android Blues

thanks gsjg and isaias!! you two are both a+ assed artists so if you like it im glad.

really good

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

my wife on the Bonneville Salt Flats

shinmai

CHK Instruction
that's gorgeous, love how alive the hair looks

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

beautiful

my wife on the Bonneville Salt Flats

wowowow

also question for the artists in this thread: is it generally better to use this grip for drawing with broad, gestural strokes, even in pen?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

shinmai posted:

It is alive...

HighwireAct posted:

is it generally better to use this grip for drawing with broad, gestural strokes, even in pen?

:shrug:

No idea. I learned this method in art school, but honestly, I never use it. I just hold it like I normally do while writing. Honestly, if you do it and find that it works best for you, then stick with it. Otherwise, do whatever you want.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

HighwireAct posted:

also question for the artists in this thread: is it generally better to use this grip for drawing with broad, gestural strokes, even in pen?

i like to hold my pencil like a brush on the very rare occasions that i draw on a piece of paper instead of being hunched over a tablet. It lets me draw using my arm instead of my wrist which lets me make longer, cleaner strokes. when working in pen I hold the pen like I would to write.

I don't think there's a "right" way to do it

hi how are you ♥

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

shinmai posted:

thank you!

Here is today's drawing featuring Kitty Bear

I think I got the cat's likeness down pretty well.

here she is for reference

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 11, 2016

Harime Nui

The New Insincerity
So here's a thing I did because I'm nuts and put way too much effort into all the wrong parts of my Dungeons & Dragons (Pathfinder) campaign.

These are portraits for NPC adventurers level 1-3 who will possibly be appearing in my D&D game (as I run things sandbox style I can't actually guarantee that the PCs will ever encounter any of these characters, it's sort of up to where they go and who they choose to talk to). They're.... all pretty rough. And some are better than others. But I set myself the goal to crank out about thirteen of these in one week and I managed to do it in about six days of working at my fastest pace, "moderate."

The cool thing about this is I had to flesh the characters based off a quick random generator I wrote for NPC Adventurer encounters in my campaign's setting. Humbakil and Torfinn were the only two not created by random rolling. The random generator was built to reflect the relative commonality of different adventurer types in the setting. Race (d100), Class (d100) and Sex (D2)----001-40 - Fighter; 41 - 61: rogue; 62 -77: cleric; 78-88: ranger; 89-99: barbarian; 100: wizard; 001-60: Human; 61-76: Dwarf; 77-87: Elf; 87-96: Halfling; 97-100: Gnome; 001-50: Male; 51-100: Female. Once I had these three categories rolled up I basically came up with some vague idea of a background and usually created a character by thumbing through the equipment list and picking a cool signature weapon or something. Originally I thought I'd include the stats of these NPCs but that made this post insaneo long and it would be understandable to maybe two other people in this forum on the outside so hang it, here's the portraits anyway.

1. Archibald Windwake - Male Human Fighter 1
A mercenary from the Windward Plains, Archibald is a consummate professional. Can be hired. Quiet, alert. Hates being called "Archie the Archer." Will eventually go berserk if PCs keep calling him Archie the Archer.

2. Anne of Green Maples - Female Human Rogue 1
Can be hired. Graduated Adventuring School with baccalaureate in underground traps. Is actually terrible at finding traps. If hired as a trapfinder she will literally not stop running through the recommended search procedure unless ordered or she rolls a natural 20. Strong Dakotan accent. Probably will die horribly.

3. Arydel, Priestess of mumblemumbleinsertelfgodnamehere - Female Elf Cleric 1
College girl, language nerd. She's in the Eastwylde to prove a thesis about a glottal shift in Archaic Syndarin in the Third Cycle of the Pleiades Conjunction (Elf calendars are incomprehensible). Will be found arguing semantics (literally) with Laufi Thunderstone. Cannot be hired but knows about the Silver Tower and the Temple of Thanulgrim.

4. Cognozco "Cogs" Flywheel - Male Gnome Fighter 1
Former militiaman of Rockhaven. Left gnomish military with mountains of debt, silly tattoos. Makes up all kinds of war stories since no one knows or cares if gnomes fought a war anyway. Always gets along with dogs. This drawing was described by a friend of mine as looking like "Mickey Roonie in Breakfast at Tiffany's."

5. Danny Long - Male Human Ranger 1
Immigrant from "Outer Long Country" (?) He will not reveal his birth name as he is tired of hearing it mangled. Works as a trapper/furrier. Can be hired as a scout but won't fight for PCs. Will not go near beaver dams and will not explain why.

6. Lobelia Downlocke, Female Halfling Rogue 1 & Gemma Downlocke, Female Halfling Fighter 1
They can be hired, and will at first insist they will only work together but you can break them up with a little tough negotiating. They hail from Flee-By Bay, often misnamed Flea Bay. Will explain there is only the ordinary amount of fleas in Flee-By Bay and it is just as good as poshier parts of Halfling Country, like Hamhock. This is not true, Flee-By Bay is garbage and its people are garbage. Lobelia will betray any party members, including Gemma, and abscond with any treasure at the first opportunity. If Halflings from Hamhock are around, 40% chance of a pub brawl breaking loose.

7. Frances "Frankie" Ambercort, Female Human Fighter 1
From the Redmarch gentility, but most people assume she is uneducated after hearing her speak for five seconds. Due to her size she is best at carrying stuff so people tend to start treating her like a pack mule, then like a regular servant after a while. She is okay with this. Secretly hopes to meet the knight of her dreams in the Eastwylde. None of the PCs even remotely close to knight of her dreams, but can be hired.

8. Fulk - Male Human Fighter 1
Farmer's son from Windwake, but has never met the other guy from Windwake and will be offended if you assume Windwakeans all know each other. ("Windwake's quite a large place!" "There's a lot to do there!") Will not outright lie about being totally inexperienced, but will try to pass off stuff he heard other guys say as his own experience and hope nobody inquires too deeply. Voice cracks at sight of danger, pretty girls.

9. Humbakil - Female Half-Orc Barbarian 2
Of the Northern Blindeyes tribe, tracker and caravan guard. Not hireable but can give info on orcsigns in the Eastwylde. Pulls corks with her fangs. She will fight anybody the PCs ask if offered pork gelatin hairgel and fungus beer.

10. Laufi Thunderstone - Male Dwarf Wizard 1
Merchant's son: good negotiator but likes soft living. Will be found in the Cartographer's Guild arguing with Arydel about what syntax most appropriate in Draconic hexameter. May not be hired but will appraise and identify unusual/magical items for a nominal fee. Fascinated by dragons, would like to become one.

11. Polverin Ivar - Male Human Fighter 1
Son of a limner from Rubene. Did not want a quiet life, wanted to be a tough guy; has been training with his double-sword in the backyard since he was a kid. Will defend his bizarre and impractical weapon at great length, conjuring many hypothetical, highly specific scenarios where it could be "just as good" as anything else. Does a good ink caricature and scrapes a meagre living this way waiting for an adventuring party to hire him. He will work for 3x less than he is worth, but prone to sudden suicidal impulse.

12. Reikar the Bowyer - Male Human Fighter 1
A bowyer (obviously) from Stormcrown. His composite shortbow is only +1 but it is elaborately and beautifully carved. Looking for a party to hire him. Constantly makes awkward jokes. Drinks too much beer, especially on the march (20% chance he collapses any over land move > 5 miles). Will get way too personal if allowed to drink during watch, will leave tiny whittled figurines in party's knapsacks for apology. Give the impression you think he's an alright bloke and he will die for you.

13. Rollo Fauchier - Male Human Fighter 1
Another genteel son from the Red March. That's technically a female woodwose on his shield, the family arms. His estoc sword has been in his family for 50+ years (he will say 100). Stolid, professional, uncomfortable with poor or menial people. Very sensitive about his cheap armor (family has been destitute for generations). In theory he should know how to order people around but he's never had servants. Tends to make very bad fencing metaphors that make his points harder to follow ("me old instructor always said, 'keep a foot afore the other 'til you need to shift your hand. Y'see?")

14. Torfinn Lustebelker - Male Dwarf Barbarian [Drunken Brute] 3
Powered by booze in life and in battle. Thinks most dwarfs are just snobs, human ale is actually alright (if you drink a lot of it). Has 3-4 pretty good stories about his adventures in the Ogreskull Hills and Eastwylde, tends to mix up the details of each one. Will pass out at random intervals for 2-30 minutes instead of sleeping. Can sleep standing up if there's something to lean against. Not hireable but can give information about the Eastwilde high trail/northern game trail. Believes that he is devastatingly handsome.

FluffieDuckie

this is amazing

and this

Harime Nui posted:

So here's a thing I did because I'm nuts and put way too much effort into all the wrong parts of my Dungeons & Dragons (Pathfinder) campaign.

These are portraits for NPC adventurers level 1-3 who will possibly be appearing in my D&D game (as I run things sandbox style I can't actually guarantee that the PCs will ever encounter any of these characters, it's sort of up to where they go and who they choose to talk to). They're.... all pretty rough. And some are better than others. But I set myself the goal to crank out about thirteen of these in one week and I managed to do it in about six days of working at my fastest pace, "moderate."

The cool thing about this is I had to flesh the characters based off a quick random generator I wrote for NPC Adventurer encounters in my campaign's setting. Humbakil and Torfinn were the only two not created by random rolling. The random generator was built to reflect the relative commonality of different adventurer types in the setting. Race (d100), Class (d100) and Sex (D2)----001-40 - Fighter; 41 - 61: rogue; 62 -77: cleric; 78-88: ranger; 89-99: barbarian; 100: wizard; 001-60: Human; 61-76: Dwarf; 77-87: Elf; 87-96: Halfling; 97-100: Gnome; 001-50: Male; 51-100: Female. Once I had these three categories rolled up I basically came up with some vague idea of a background and usually created a character by thumbing through the equipment list and picking a cool signature weapon or something. Originally I thought I'd include the stats of these NPCs but that made this post insaneo long and it would be understandable to maybe two other people in this forum on the outside so hang it, here's the portraits anyway.

A mercenary from the Windward Plains, Archibald is a consummate professional. Can be hired. Quiet, alert. Hates being called "Archie the Archer." Will eventually go berserk if PCs keep calling him Archie the Archer.

Can be hired. Graduated Adventuring School with baccalaureate in underground traps. Is actually terrible at finding traps. If hired as a trapfinder she will literally not stop running through the recommended search procedure unless ordered or she rolls a natural 20. Strong Dakotan accent. Probably will die horribly.

College girl, language nerd. She's in the Eastwylde to prove a thesis about a glottal shift in Archaic Syndarin in the Third Cycle of the Pleiades Conjunction (Elf calendars are incomprehensible). Will be found arguing semantics (literally) with Laufi Thunderstone. Cannot be hired but knows about the Silver Tower and the Temple of Thanulgrim.

Former militiaman of Rockhaven. Left gnomish military with mountains of debt, silly tattoos. Makes up all kinds of war stories since no one knows or cares if gnomes fought a war anyway. Always gets along with dogs. This drawing was described by a friend of mine as looking like "Mickey Roonie in Breakfast at Tiffany's."

Immigrant from "Outer Long Country" (?) He will not reveal his birth name as he is tired of hearing it mangled. Works as a trapper/furrier. Can be hired as a scout but won't fight for PCs. Will not go near beaver dams and will not explain why.

6. Lobelia Downlocke, Female Halfling Rogue 1 & Gemma Downlocke, Female Halfling Fighter 1
They can be hired, and will at first insist they will only work together but you can break them up with a little tough negotiating. They hail from Flee-By Bay, often misnamed Flea Bay. Will explain there is only the ordinary amount of fleas in Flee-By Bay and it is just as good as poshier parts of Halfling Country, like Hamhock. This is not true, Flee-By Bay is garbage and its people are garbage. Lobelia will betray any party members, including Gemma, and abscond with any treasure at the first opportunity. If Halflings from Hamhock are around, 40% chance of a pub brawl breaking loose.

From the Redmarch gentility, but most people assume she is uneducated after hearing her speak for five seconds. Due to her size she is best at carrying stuff so people tend to start treating her like a pack mule, then like a regular servant after a while. She is okay with this. Secretly hopes to meet the knight of her dreams in the Eastwylde. None of the PCs even remotely close to knight of her dreams, but can be hired.

Farmer's son from Windwake, but has never met the other guy from Windwake and will be offended if you assume Windwakeans all know each other. ("Windwake's quite a large place!" "There's a lot to do there!") Will not outright lie about being totally inexperienced, but will try to pass off stuff he heard other guys say as his own experience and hope nobody inquires too deeply. Voice cracks at sight of danger, pretty girls.

Of the Northern Blindeyes tribe, tracker and caravan guard. Not hireable but can give info on orcsigns in the Eastwylde. Pulls corks with her fangs. She will fight anybody the PCs ask if offered pork gelatin hairgel and fungus beer.

Merchant's son: good negotiator but likes soft living. Will be found in the Cartographer's Guild arguing with Arydel about what syntax most appropriate in Draconic hexameter. May not be hired but will appraise and identify unusual/magical items for a nominal fee. Fascinated by dragons, would like to become one.

Son of a limner from Rubene. Did not want a quiet life, wanted to be a tough guy; has been training with his double-sword in the backyard since he was a kid. Will defend his bizarre and impractical weapon at great length, conjuring many hypothetical, highly specific scenarios where it could be "just as good" as anything else. Does a good ink caricature and scrapes a meagre living this way waiting for an adventuring party to hire him. He will work for 3x less than he is worth, but prone to sudden suicidal impulse.

A bowyer (obviously) from Stormcrown. His composite shortbow is only +1 but it is elaborately and beautifully carved. Looking for a party to hire him. Constantly makes awkward jokes. Drinks too much beer, especially on the march (20% chance he collapses any over land move > 5 miles). Will get way too personal if allowed to drink during watch, will leave tiny whittled figurines in party's knapsacks for apology. Give the impression you think he's an alright bloke and he will die for you.

Another genteel son from the Red March. That's technically a female woodwose on his shield, the family arms. His estoc sword has been in his family for 50+ years (he will say 100). Stolid, professional, uncomfortable with poor or menial people. Very sensitive about his cheap armor (family has been destitute for generations). In theory he should know how to order people around but he's never had servants. Tends to make very bad fencing metaphors that make his points harder to follow ("me old instructor always said, 'keep a foot afore the other 'til you need to shift your hand. Y'see?")

Powered by booze in life and in battle. Thinks most dwarfs are just snobs, human ale is actually alright (if you drink a lot of it). Has 3-4 pretty good stories about his adventures in the Ogreskull Hills and Eastwylde, tends to mix up the details of each one. Will pass out at random intervals for 2-30 minutes instead of sleeping. Can sleep standing up if there's something to lean against. Not hireable but can give information about the Eastwilde high trail/northern game trail. Believes that he is devastatingly handsome.

is awesome

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Harime Nui posted:

...dang

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Today's drawing

Macnult

use the tire to fix the boat!
(looks awesome btw)

FluffieDuckie

this is really good john glenn :love:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Macnult posted:

use the tire to fix the boat!
(looks awesome btw)

the boat rolls away

FluffieDuckie posted:

this is really good john glenn :love:

thank you! my wife and I were out on the salt flats and it resulted in my getting inspired to draw.

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Working on cartoonier illustration stuff for an ongoing project thing

shinmai

CHK Instruction
that bear adorbs, tho

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

shinmai posted:

that bear adorbs, tho

:agreed:

Robot Made of Meat

This is a good drawing.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Android Blues

i drank two cans of cola and decided to draw a six panel comic in ten minutes without using erase or ctrl+z

despite its silly awfulness this was actually a fun exercise that i might repeat in future !

derg
I'm taking a break for a while

Macnult

Android Blues posted:

i drank two cans of cola and decided to draw a six panel comic in ten minutes without using erase or ctrl+z

despite its silly awfulness this was actually a fun exercise that i might repeat in future !

Nice! I've been thinking about using comic panels to get better at drawing.

Since I dislocated my shoulder on Monday I've set a goal to get more comfortable with using graphite and to start drawing regularly again. Drew this little fellow last night:

If anyone has any advice or tips on using graphite/drawing in general I'd really appreciate it. Patience is one of my weaknesses I've noticed so far and I know my technique is pretty sloppy to begin with.

FluffieDuckie

you draw better with 1 shoulder than i could with 3

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Macnult posted:

Nice! I've been thinking about using comic panels to get better at drawing.

Since I dislocated my shoulder on Monday I've set a goal to get more comfortable with using graphite and to start drawing regularly again. Drew this little fellow last night:

If anyone has any advice or tips on using graphite/drawing in general I'd really appreciate it. Patience is one of my weaknesses I've noticed so far and I know my technique is pretty sloppy to begin with.

thats really good actually

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

derg posted:

I'm taking a break for a while

i like this, is it paint?

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

I made an insanely stupid "video game" last night. It took about 24 hours from thinking of doing it to finishing it so that's why it looks the way it does. Well, here ya go if you're interested:

The Curse of the Cursed Mummy, a Visual Novel. (for PC only)

hi how are you ♥

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I made an insanely stupid "video game" last night. It took about 24 hours from thinking of doing it to finishing it so that's why it looks the way it does. Well, here ya go if you're interested:

actually this owns

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Interesting choice of background music.

Snakes.
Why did it have to be snakes?

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Glad y'all like da bear. Bear done.

Been having fun not doing super complex art stuff.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 19, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Mulli posted:

actually this owns

thanks

Barking Gecko posted:

Interesting choice of background music.

Snakes.
Why did it have to be snakes?

It was the first half-way appropriate public domain music I could find. snakes are always appropriate

Scathach posted:

its good

hi how are you ♥

Salmiakki

Scathach posted:

people here are super good at drawin monsters

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Scathach

Thanks peeps :) also yes I love monsters

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Today's Drawing.
I find something very romantic about parking lots at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shurnarkabtishutu

just experimenting

• Locked thread