Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark

Android Blues posted:

i drew this for my friend as a joke the other day and it keeps cracking me up every time i look at it. i put it under a tag because theres nips and maybe you dont want to see that, but i hope you think its even twenty percent as funny as i do

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark

Are there goons around BYOB that do art requests? I have a thing that I'd like to get someone more talented to do

Professor Shark

Not sure if this counts as art or not, but this is what I did earlier this week:

After finding out about Best Made Axe Co axes I thought to myself "Hey, I think I could do that..." and did my own. I'm going to trade this one for a half bottle of single malt a buddy of mine has and doesn't really like. I have a bottle of purple stain and a set of metal letter stamps in the mail, I'm going to use gold leaf to fill the indents and give them names based on historic British ships-of-the-line because I'm a big nerd.

Professor Shark

0) It is an axe handle.

1) I did not carve this myself, I just painted it. Apparently carving them isn't nearly as hard as I would have thought, so that may come later. In the meantime eBay seems to be a good source for vintage, American made heads.

2) Yeah I need to buy a head for it before I give it to my buddy. It won't be a vintage one.

Professor Shark

Sounds good. I'm going to make another one tomorrow: black stain, white stripe. Nothing special, I want to practice before I use the purple stuff though, I have a massive hsndle for that one and I think it'll look great!

Professor Shark

I like the skull, though I know I should like Pizza Weed

Professor Shark

Completed axe:

The guide I read playfully suggested giving axes names, I took it too far by picking up a set of letter stamps. I used black acrylic paint, it turned out pretty terribly for the blue axe but better for the purple:

These are names taken from old British ships-of-the-line, which I think are all pretty awesome and fitting. I used a random name chooser and go with the first result or two, depending on the "fit"

Professor Shark

I have a plain black stained one that is named RESOLUTION, I'm not too happy with it because the black stain is so dark it turned into black paint :/

Professor Shark

Swiftsure was a huge hit with my buddy and the Lagavulin is great! Today I made a double-stained axe, Golden Wheat with Dark Oak... it doesn't look the greatest, but I'll finish it tomorrow and be done with it. I'm going to order a Pink and Emerald Green to fool around with, then I think this hobby may be done, unless I get my girlfriend's uncle to teach me how to use a draw knife so I can carve them myself!

Professor Shark

I've been doing very little art because of work but I had a nerdy idea for another axe handle that I really want to do up tomorrow, hopefully the weather is good

Professor Shark

Do photoshops count? I hacked this together for the new Westworld Season 2 thread that I'm going to "ironically" start soonish.

It comes out in 2018, but I made the Season 1 thread really early because the show was pushed back by a year.

Professor Shark

Currently working on making a linocut based on an antique signet ring:

Professor Shark

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Coooooool! Can you post another picture when you're done? I'm fascinated my the process of cutting more detailed designs. This is a badass print you're making.

Have a wip for now:

Professor Shark

Nope, plain old Speedball w/ the standard blades! A couple Christmas's ago my Mother, remembering how much I "enjoyed" making abstract oil paintings in my undergrad, got me a gift certificate to Curries. It sat in a desk for a few months until I came across a design that I really wanted to put on a t-shirt but figured I could do myself, so I ordered the Speedball Print Kit and have been enjoying playing around with it ever since.

I don't have a final print of the Greek warrior because I slapped it on a wood backing and gave it to my nephew almost as soon as it was done, but I gave him a beard and fixed up the horsehair crest a bit.

I've also made a bookplate for myself and a family crest for a work colleague, among other things. It's lots of fun, and I really like how forgiving it is for bad sketchers like myself!

Professor Shark

I need to clean my brayer

Professor Shark

I find with linocuts that it's really difficult to call "done" on a project, since there is always a little bit more to improve on... I'm calling this guy done for now, though!

Professor Shark

Can furniture concept art be considered art? This is my next project:

It's a foot stool/ step stool/ sitting-on-after-mowing-the-lawn-and-drinking-a-beer stool I want to make. I'm going with the design on the very bottom of the page, I found some recast vintage bottle openers I want to attach to a couple sides.

Professor Shark

I had not considered my possible handle fetish before, I bet there's a few hours of psychology in there.

But seriously, I had trouble figuring out a way to put them on that was practical and cool looking. DIY goons suggested going with the side handle configuration, but the the integrated handle/leg one looks cooler imo, it reminds me of how on boats or subs they have handles that act as guards for sensitive equipment, so I may go with that.

If I ever get around to it I'll post pictures, I'll call it functional art!

Professor Shark

Hey can we do art requests here?

If so, sit back and hear me out:

The Leftovers just wrapped up it's final season a couple weeks back and I wanted to have a little keepsake of my favorite TV show. I browsed HBO's website and didn't find anything that appealed to me (which is understandable because the show wasn't a hit in terms of viewers), so I decided to see if I could find something elsewhere. One website that makes TV apparel had this shirt:

This is the logo of the town the first season is set in, Mapleton NY, and is based on this image:

It reminded me of a hat a character wears in the third season (Spoiler tags for those who haven't watched The Leftovers):

I decided that a custom patch would be a nerd cool way to have a stealth reference to the show that I can put on a hat or my duffel bag . I took the original logo from the t shirt:

... and asked a company that makes custom patches if they could do a chenille patch, which is the fuzzy kind, sort of like a Letterman jacket:

Anyway, the company said they could do the logo and don't seem to have a problem with the art I provided, however I don't like the idea of using "stolen" art. Could someone take a shot at it for me? I tried doing the profile and have had no luck at it.

TLDR: Can someone make a "good copy" of this image for me?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 17, 2017

Professor Shark

I was playing around with crayons today

Professor Shark

I had more fun with the crayons

The ones I was using were thicker than normal Crayola crayons and had more of a softer, wetter, waxy feel. Any idea what they could have been?

Professor Shark

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Oil pastels? What's the dark blue? I really like it.

I call this series "Generic Ocean Art"

Professor Shark

Progress shot of a quick and dirty print I'm making up today:

Professor Shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark

I made this guy up the other day

I'm going to put in on the envelopes I send for the letter exchange in A/T

• Locked thread