Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

a hole-y ghost posted:

If you can, I'd also try to find some long-pose (4-8 hr.) life drawing sessions. I find that they're extremely helpful but woefully underrated.

Yeah - trying to find that in the small town where I currently live is going to be tough. L.A. definitely had a few, however they were more expensive than the usual drawing sessions.

Here is another stab at that flyer. Still not sure if I like it.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

BTW Humboldt Squid... Why'd you misspell arachnophobia?? :crossarms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcITeGy-U6w

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Yeah - trying to find that in the small town where I currently live is going to be tough. L.A. definitely had a few, however they were more expensive than the usual drawing sessions.

Here is another stab at that flyer. Still not sure if I like it.

Looks pretty cool to me. Maybe clean it up a bit on her lower torso—there's too many lines around crotch level of her body and it's flattening the image out.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

Looks pretty cool to me. Maybe clean it up a bit on her lower torso—there's too many lines around crotch level of her body and it's flattening the image out.

Hmmm - not entirely sure what you mean by flattening the image out here. Made some small tweaks regardless.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Hmmm - not entirely sure what you mean by flattening the image out here. Made some small tweaks regardless.

I just mean that if you have two things side by side and one's supposed to be closer to the viewer, the closer thing should have more high-contrast detail relative to the further thing.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Totally related to the theme?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
There was this faceswap gone wrong where they faceswapped with their fist and yessss

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

I just mean that if you have two things side by side and one's supposed to be closer to the viewer, the closer thing should have more high-contrast detail relative to the further thing.

Hmmm. Upon further reflection, I think I should have spent a lot more time on the illustration before photoshopping in the other elements. The contrast between elements kind of bothers me now.

Daily (ballpoint) drawing.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
A bunch of studies from this weekend:

:argh:loving Mickey

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Those are pretty great. What hardware / software are you using? A tablet? An ipad?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Those were done half on an Asus Vivotab Note 8 (which has a Wacom digitizer) and half on a desktop with a Cintiq 21UX. The software is Mischief, which is good for the little tablet because it has practically no interface, and good for studies because you can't fiddle with things much.

I'm considering an iPad Pro but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I've been doing all my comic stuff on a Surface Pro 2 with Clip Studio Paint and I'm really liking it, even if using Windows is less than ideal for me. I'd highly recommend.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Spider models.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I don't normally post here, but doing so may encourage me to put out product again!

I just put together a new travel sketch set. Was going to buy watercolors and would have had a source for gradients, but got distracted by a set of oil pastels I haven't been brave enough to use. So tomorrow I'm buying some gray Copic Markers if I get a chance. In the meantime, coffee shop sketches:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

giving manga studio\clip paint studio another shot

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I was frustrated with the hands in the picture I did yesterday, so I did a study today. I bought some gray Copic, markers but no chance to use them yet.

MOD EDIT: please try to keep it under ~1500 wide or use thumbs so you don't break tables

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 18, 2016

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Tentacles are spidery right?

An alien creature sketch for a piece I'm working on. The line at space fast food an restaurant. It's gonna be weird/awesome. The nipple eyes were accidental, but I totally dig em.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

That's cool and I really dig it. I'm interested to see where it goes. It's relatively a minor thing, but there's something odd about her pose though. She looks like she's about to topple over. It's 2 things causing it. She appears to be supporting herself with her left leg while leaning on her left side so she looks unbalanced, and her left hip is drawn rotated towards the viewer further than her right when it should be receding slightly and somewhat hidden from view. I suppose she could have her legs crossed and be supporting herself with both feet, but that's not something people generally do while leaning on things.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

dog nougat posted:

That's cool and I really dig it. I'm interested to see where it goes. It's relatively a minor thing, but there's something odd about her pose though. She looks like she's about to topple over. It's 2 things causing it. She appears to be supporting herself with her left leg while leaning on her left side so she looks unbalanced, and her left hip is drawn rotated towards the viewer further than her right when it should be receding slightly and somewhat hidden from view. I suppose she could have her legs crossed and be supporting herself with both feet, but that's not something people generally do while leaning on things.

Thanks! Yeah unbalanced poses seem to be a problem for me when I don't draw feet for whatever reason, I was mostly just wanted to get some contrapposto in.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

making up for missing yesterday:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I feel like spiders would be so good at this.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This is fantastic.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Spider models.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 20, 2016

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made a spider themed sketch.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Not a spider, but it's a venomous invertebrate with eight legs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Working on a sticker design. The text says, "There's a cool skeleton stuck inside each of us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

neonnoodle posted:

Those were done half on an Asus Vivotab Note 8 (which has a Wacom digitizer) and half on a desktop with a Cintiq 21UX. The software is Mischief, which is good for the little tablet because it has practically no interface, and good for studies because you can't fiddle with things much.

I'm considering an iPad Pro but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Check out the Samsung Note Pro. It's got a ton of memory, Wacom digitizer, and 8 cores so you can use it for fun stuff too. I've been using the 10.1 Note for an average of eight hours a day for about four years and it still doesn't have any scratches on the screen or any problems whatsoever. I'm only waiting to get the Pro because they're still like $700. But a Samsung is the thing you want if you're doing art on the go.

• Locked thread