Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Spiders are spooky. So are ghosts. Have a cheeseburger ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I made a stupid alliterative picture.

dead donut

Are you using any references for this? I'm inclined to believe that you're drawing almost primarily from your imagination. That left hand of hers is pretty jacked up looking, considering you're going for a reasonably naturalistic sorta feel. Large portions of the piece are disjointed and drawn from different perspectives, making her look cobbled together and have bizarre body proportions.

When drawing any figure from imagination, your own body provides a great reference material. I recommend you try drawing your hands, like a lot. Not just your non dominant hand either, use your non dominant hand to draw as well, it's really good practice.

It also looks like you're drawing from the wrist a lot too. It's certainly OK to move your wrist as you draw, but draw from the shoulder as well. Your linework seems uncertain and sloppy, but I can see you improving. Put your body into it dude.

I also can't reiterate enough the importance of life drawing to help you improve. Even just still life arrangements are super helpful with drawing forms and light/shadows.

One more thing, what hardness pencils are you using? It kinda looks like you're sticking with one hardness. I personally find it really helpful to do a loose sketch with a fairly hard pencil, like a 2h and then jumping up to a F for more finalized lines, and then a 2b or 3b for the darker/more prominent areas. YMMV.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finished my fridge dyptich.

Close up view of the guts

Overall view of the entire fridge.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
^^^That's fuckin great.

I did a really solid sketch/value study of a space hotdog, haven't done one of these full on in a while.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Tentacles are spidery right?

An alien creature sketch for a piece I'm working on. The line at space fast food an restaurant. It's gonna be weird/awesome. The nipple eyes were accidental, but I totally dig em.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

That's cool and I really dig it. I'm interested to see where it goes. It's relatively a minor thing, but there's something odd about her pose though. She looks like she's about to topple over. It's 2 things causing it. She appears to be supporting herself with her left leg while leaning on her left side so she looks unbalanced, and her left hip is drawn rotated towards the viewer further than her right when it should be receding slightly and somewhat hidden from view. I suppose she could have her legs crossed and be supporting herself with both feet, but that's not something people generally do while leaning on things.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made a spider themed sketch.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lotsa great stuff this month y'all.

Another wacky alien sketch here... Throwing cheeseburgers into it's encompassing mouth.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Ccs posted:

Hi guys, wondering if I can get some quick critique on something. I foolishly entered an art show at my workplace despite being in a more technical, non-design position. I've been painting a monster for the show, but showed it to my girlfriend who says it is not presentable due to bad lighting/shading/perspective/etc. I'm wondering if there's some quick ways I can fix the major problems with this piece so at least it doesn't look terribly out of place hanging on a wall for a bit:

Well the major issue I'm having here is that the monster looks like an extension of the log, so it becomes visually confusing. Your values are kinda all over the place as well, with the stump being so dark, there's a lot of visual tension with the critter being so light around it's legs for seemingly no reason. It's not terribly clear what is happening with its bottom torso. My mind wants to see it as a nest it's resting in, but because of the lack of nest it becomes confusing.

Beyond that, the background is a little sparse, it doesn't need much, just a bit more detail.

The picture can still be saved. I'm phone posting, so not gonna attempt to draw over it, but I'd add a nest or something to eliminate the weirdness between the monster and the stump, push the values by its legs, and flesh out the mountains in the background a bit.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Did a solid value study of an alien for an upcoming painting. Space fast food restaurant.

I realized recently that I have an obsession with drawing drooling things. In this case, it's actually super helpful since in my initial sketches it wasn't apparent that the top tendrils were mouth flaps/there was a mouth there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
No. Keep posting.

• Locked thread