Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

etalian posted:

$35k is in the budget range for petty bourgeois

that's before the 7500 federal tax credit though plus whatever state credit if you don't live in a stupid place

like in california it's an extra 2500 on top of the federal credit so a base level model 3 will be about as expensive as a honda accord, assuming you're one of the first 200k people to buy one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

literally a fish posted:

there will no doubt be models with bigger packs that get more miles (i suspect up to around 400-500 miles on the high end)

probably closer to 250, maybe 300

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Orange Cat posted:

Friend dropped 100k on one and let me drive it. Seemed neat and has some good conceptual stuff going for it. Had enough torque to be impressive, but not enough to want to spend three times as much as an Evo or STI. The ride height adjust was cool. It's an Apple early adopter car. It will probably help shape future generations of cars, ... But 100k ...

that's basically their business plan

sell expensive sports cars to rich fucks, use that to fund building expensive suvs to sell to not quite as rich fucks, use that to fund building a mid-range car to sell to upper middle class fucks

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Orange Cat posted:

My friend works a fairly poo poo low end job. He saved for like 2 years to buy one, with financing. So they are hitting more than just dumb rich idiots. He lives in a hovel and eats Mac and Cheese regularly. But he's got a 100k car. Shrug.

dude's hood rich as gently caress

good on him for being able to save up like that on a crappy job. sucks he doesn't use his fiscal discipline to like save for retirement

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i thought about reserving one until i saw that stupid ipad glued to the dash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

I don't think you need to be 'upper middle class' to afford a $35,000 car. Which is only slightly above average for a new vehicle in the US. And could be well below average depending on what kind of incentives there are where you live.

that's just the base model

the ones with extra battery capacity, super acceleration, etc i.e. the stuff people actually want are gonna run closer to 50-60k

it's meant to compete with the bmw 3 series

• Locked thread