Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As someone who has never actually played the games, it's really disconcerting how lighthearted everyone is after someone's girlfriend was just brutally murdered in her own home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It really makes you think.

But, really, a lot of the charm of the series comes from the goofiness despite the grim subject matter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's fine, Larry got away with it, no harm came of this murder.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd actually gotten used to that aspect after initially being a bit wtf when I played the first game but this episode kind of threw it into light again.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I'm having a hard time accepting how young Phoenix sounds. My mental image of him had a somewhat older sounding VA.

Edit: He sounds much better once he's in the courtroom and shouting a bit though.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 5, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Eej posted:

As someone who has never actually played the games, it's really disconcerting how lighthearted everyone is after someone's girlfriend was just brutally murdered in her own home.
The series only really gets dark for cases super important to the plot. Ace Attorney is really goofy.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd actually gotten used to that aspect after initially being a bit wtf when I played the first game but this episode kind of threw it into light again.
Case 1-1 just isn't that great. The game does it better, but I feel it's the weakest case there. The breakneck pace of the anime certainly didn't help.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 5, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's been a while since I've played the games, aren't the first cases in every game pretty bad?

If memory serves they're all tutorials where the real culprit is practically wearing a sign that says "I'm the killer" and you spend most of the case hitting the judge over the head with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hitting the judge in the head is the only known method for communicating with him.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LostRook posted:

It's been a while since I've played the games, aren't the first cases in every game pretty bad?

If memory serves they're all tutorials where the real culprit is practically wearing a sign that says "I'm the killer" and you spend most of the case hitting the judge over the head with it.

3-1 is cool, I2-1 is cool

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
My least favorite case was the third in both Ace Attorney games I played.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

In fairness, the third usually tends to be the one most people dislike for all of the games. They usually range from "kinda good filler" (1 and 3) to "what even is this poo poo" (2 and AJ's).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There was one 3-3 bit that really felt like the most blatant padding. Eh it's subjective.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Eej posted:

They have a confetti shower after the verdict. You really don't want to take these cases too seriously.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

There was one 3-3 bit that really felt like the most blatant padding. Eh it's subjective.

Hence "kinda good." :v: Both those cases had some serious lulls in the action, but were at least fairly cohesive.

And nowhere near as bad as the characters themselves pointing out how loving stupid the premise for AJ's case 3 was.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Mulderman posted:

They have a confetti shower after the verdict. You really don't want to take these cases too seriously.

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?comic=122214

I guess those bailiffs are also there to clean up the confetti before the next case like movie theatre ushers before the next showing.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The only good thing about that POS Layton vs Phoenix is to hammer home how extremely hosed up witch trials are in every way, even if they're not literally "throw her in the river, if she drowns she's not a witch".

And even then they backpedal on it hard later on. Ugh.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Layton had the superior anime, I think he wins.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Only familiar with the anime Layton that's in the game, which is pretty quality admittedly.

I do also admit that the "I never drink more than 17 cups of tea during any given puzzle" line was extremely boss, but it didn't make up for the rest of the game.

Seventh Mode
Aug 29, 2012

Mode 7-style rendering was also used for the Special Stages in Sonic CD.
The more you know!
I've never played any of the games. Will I give a poo poo about this show?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe. Honestly, the anime hasn't gotten to the real meat of the games yet, so it's kinda hard to tell if it'll pull off everything. But it's okay, and the games' stories are generally pretty good, so the script should be solid.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I enjoyed the Layton crossover a lot.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Seventh Mode posted:

I've never played any of the games. Will I give a poo poo about this show?
Probably not. At least not when judging the first episode. It had to cram the entire case in that single episode. Wright flipflopped from a doofus to a genius on a dime, the culprit freaks out after, like, one objection, and the case concludes before I even realized Wright was fingering the culprit. As a fan of the series, I got some enjoyment out if it, but it still fits between "serviceable" and "alright" for me. You're better off picking up the Trilogy Collection from the eshop first, imo.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 6, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah you should definitely play the games, because the mysteries were created to be solved through the game. This anime is just for fans to laugh at

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

Yeah you should definitely play the games, because the mysteries were created to be solved through the game. This anime is just for fans to laugh at

That's the feeling I got - it's a fun thing for those who have played the games (I have, although it's been some years now). Then again, we're only 1 episode in. I feel like the second case may make or break this. At least for me, it probably will.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 7, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i only ever got to like, the third trial in the second game but it still makes me happy to see them ape the camera angles of the game.

is this a 12-13 episode thing or a 24-26 episode thing? my biggest impression of the games was that they're slow. i'm not sure if i want this to be quicker or not but if they're covering two games in 12 episodes it would probably be p perfunctory.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's going to cover Justice for All too, so unless they do major cramming, it has to be 24-26.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Takumi said in a statement that the anime would be half a year, so it's 2 cour.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
24-26 for the first 2 games would give us about 3-4 episodes per case, with 2-1 being 1 or 2 episodes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

25/23 episodes of Gumshoe :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I still can't get over everyone running in the intro. This might have the best OP of the year.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how in the world of Ace Attorney in order to get a defendant declared Not Guilty you have to not only prove that they are innocent, but also prove someone else in the court room is guilty. I'm pretty sure that there are multiple Ace Attorney cases where you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that your client could not have committed the crime, but the judge will still be like "welp looks like we got no choice but to end this trial and declare your client guilty unless you can prove who did it." I wonder if it's some sort of commentary on the Japanese justice system (which is apparently extremely unfriendly to defendants).

My favorite Ace Attorney game is probably Dual Destinies, largely because I feel like it did a really great job with making the various characters 3D and giving them interesting/funny animations. I also like Apollo Justice a lot more after that game and Athena Cykes is alright (and has some pretty great "dramatic stuff is happening" courtroom music).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2016

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if it's some sort of commentary on the Japanese justice system (which is apparently extremely unfriendly to defendants).

Japan has a greater than 99% conviction rate, but why that is so is not clear. I suspect the ridiculously long interrogations have something to do with it, but all I know about it is what I've read on Wiki so what do I know.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It is most definitely commentary on the Japanese justice system, especially when you consider AA4's introduction of the Jurist system and Japan actually introducing jury trials around the same period of time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I recall reading that one factor is that they only go to court if they're really sure they'll be able to convict. But that's years-old hearsay.

The need to find the actual perp is probably partially just for the sake of storytelling and they didn't want to bother with a "Not Guilty but the killer's loose" game over screen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Motto posted:

The need to find the actual perp is probably partially just for the sake of storytelling and they didn't want to bother with a "Not Guilty but the killer's loose" game over screen.

Oh, for sure. It's just really funny in the game when you've already deduced that your client has nothing to do with the murder, but the Judge is like "welp, if you can't pull out evidence proving this witness committed the crime I have no choice but to declare the defendant guilty!"

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, for sure. It's just really funny in the game when you've already deduced that your client has nothing to do with the murder, but the Judge is like "welp, if you can't pull out evidence proving this witness committed the crime I have no choice but to declare the defendant guilty!"

Part of it is that in most cases, Phoenix's defense of his client hinges 100% on someone else doing it. There's very few cases where you prove your defendant innocent without pointing the finger first, and then the rest of the trial becomes a case of proving your accusation correct, because if your accusation is wrong, then your entire story falls apart.

There's like one case where you prove they could not have done it first and it really stands out as a result, but most of the time, the accusation IS your defense, so it works. The judge is kind of dumb and easily persuaded so you can sorta make it make sense that the prosecution bullies them into the Guilty verdict if you mess up, but its still weird when it happens.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Japan had such a high conviction rate because they have excellent detectives that solve crimes like Gumshoe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thank you to my pal, Dick Gumshoe.

:japan:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is Case 5 going to be in this? That could be a 12 episode series by itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My money's probably on no if it's a 2 cour.

• Locked thread