Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

the western boss is cool as gently caress and id recommend it as area#2 cause its not as brutal as the poo poo to the east imo

i got the bullet reflect tech early so east was a cinch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

also the charge-up swing is fantastic

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Diaper shite poofter

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Diaper shite poofter

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so i figured out what those big stone slabs in hidden areas are for.

in the north, in that big room with the key door in it, there's a secret towards the bottom left area. i dont wanna say too much but its p. straighforward from there and you should explore that area till the end

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this game is so good

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Diaper shite poofter

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
this game is so loving good.

even though i keep clipping through walls and falling into the void, and even though, every time an enemy falls down on one of those disappearing platforms, the entire screen turns into the background texture for several seconds. those parts are kind of, er, rough.

but man. what a game!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
east boss was quite easy. beat him going into the fight with just one stim. much easier than north boss.

bonus, scenery.

north is by far the most gorgeous area out of north/east/west, imo. really sets unfair expectations for the rest of the game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

this game is so loving good.

even though i keep clipping through walls and falling into the void, and even though, every time an enemy falls down on one of those disappearing platforms, the entire screen turns into the background texture for several seconds. those parts are kind of, er, rough.

but man. what a game!

The collision detection is iffy in a few spots but I don't know what the hell you're talking about with the platform thing.

Also, South Underground is my favorite by far. North Surface is really good though. I quite liked the way the early bits of the West Surface looked too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im carefully combing areas ive beaten for secrets and learning the tells. its deeply satisfying to find poo poo in this game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's doubly satisfying when you gently caress up a chain dash and accidentally slide into a hidden area like I've done a few times

Dec 26, 2012

the west boss is really cool

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

only real gripe with this game so far is that sometimes the platforming can be pretty janky, and the checkpoints are sometimes very stupid. save whenever i grab something drat it!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also the spikes in the west that can knock you into other spikes and just chain you to death can gently caress off what the hell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

also the spikes in the west that can knock you into other spikes and just chain you to death can gently caress off what the hell

tyeah the ice spiders can go gently caress themselves. goame rules though, killd the boss in the west and found 6 of the eight pieces, i'm gonna go dig up the rest next time i play

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It feels like Fez in a lot of ways but it gives you a little more direction and man the bosses are really good.

I especially like how the attack patterns of the enemies in each zone sort of build up into the boss.

For an example, in the north zone:

you meet bird wizards that telegraph then shoot a beam in a straight line, followed by bigger bird wizards that highlight a square on the ground then blast it, and finally the boss who highlights large patterns on the floor of the arena and then blasts.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
This might be my favorite indie game of all time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i have 6/8 purple things from the south and after combing everything over and over i just gave up and googled it. n one else seems to know where the other 2 are either lol

theres a 16 (all) key door in the south and i pray it's not behind that. also, i got an extra point of health somehow?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
currently wandering around searching for collectibles, after raising all 4 pillars (haven't gone down the middle thing in town yet - idk if it'll end the game, but it seems like it might). really wishing that the map was less arty and more useful. spent half an hour today trying and failing to make my way back to this door:

i know i've been there before, i think I know roughly where it is (top-rightish of east area), but i cannot find my way back. extremely embarrassing...

Larry Parrish posted:

The collision detection is iffy in a few spots but I don't know what the hell you're talking about with the platform thing.

it might be an os x issue. it happens every time, but luckily there aren't too many places where it's an issue outside the north zone.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
CRITICAL UPDATE: After several tries, I have triumphed over the soccer goblin!!!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

CRITICAL UPDATE: After several tries, I have triumphed over the soccer goblin!!!

me too but i dont think you even get anything for it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

me too but i dont think you even get anything for it?

a warm glow of satisfaction with a job well done.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BTW you have to do East, North, and West before South, but full clearing South doesn't end the game, it merely unlocks the path to the final boss. There are 4 bosses in South, one for each required module, and they are very rewarding to beat IMO.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

BTW you have to do East, North, and West before South, but full clearing South doesn't end the game, it merely unlocks the path to the final boss. There are 4 bosses in South, one for each required module, and they are very rewarding to beat IMO.

ya i did. tbh they were pretty easy but still cool.

it seems like trying to fight the bosses with just the starting gun + sword moves could be a fun challenge. the shotgun and spin attack, in particular, make bosses so much easier that it seems almost unfair.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

ya i did. tbh they were pretty easy but still cool.

it seems like trying to fight the bosses with just the starting gun + sword moves could be a fun challenge. the shotgun and spin attack, in particular, make bosses so much easier that it seems almost unfair.

I agree. It took me almost half an hour to beat East boss in NG+, which BTW doesn't start you in the tutorial area and I didn't want to look up how to get back in, so you have no gun to start. Even using the various upgrade attacks, it was brutally difficult with no gun. I don't think it would be bearable to play without chain dash for long, though, now that I've mostly got the hang of it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

After like a full hour I got up to just under 500 in the speed dash race track, I don't think I'm ever going to get all the way to 800 though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the shotgun is the biggest damage upgrade in the game lol but without it you can swing+pistol+swing+pistol etc., the animations cancel eachother out and youre refilling the ammo and you can deal dmg really fast

isnt nearly as satisfying as cancelling a swing with a big shottie blast tho

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

the charge attack is really good too, it was indispensable against the west boss

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im going to clear this 100% soon and all i can think of is immediately starting a new file and doing it all again lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also, its really evident that the north got the most love and dev time lol. like, when youre finding secrets and stuff you can stumble into whole little worlds and beautiful scenic views, rooms that tell you more of the story etc. and the 8-gate door houses its own super dungeon full of traps and a HUGE battle at the end that's super satisfying

in the other worlds its just like..heres a small room with a gearbit. the 8-door is just like, two small rooms. everything is kind of a disappointment after north lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

also, its really evident that the north got the most love and dev time lol. like, when youre finding secrets and stuff you can stumble into whole little worlds and beautiful scenic views, rooms that tell you more of the story etc. and the 8-gate door houses its own super dungeon full of traps and a HUGE battle at the end that's super satisfying

in the other worlds its just like..heres a small room with a gearbit. the 8-door is just like, two small rooms. everything is kind of a disappointment after north lol

It makes me hope we get DLC that makes every zone as good as North and South

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just learned that the different sets actually give you stat benefits. like the pink cape reduces the delay before your stamina starts recharging, and a certain lategame set gives you 1 extra point of health

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theyre patching the game soon to fix some of the platforming jankyness and adding even more gearbits to the game lol. he apparently gathered a bunch of pro speedrunners and answered questions and he really made it sound like he would just keep gradually patching in new content and expanding the game for free

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh, you can press down on the d-pad to sit and this will also cancel the slide after chain dashing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

oh, you can press down on the d-pad to sit and this will also cancel the slide after chain dashing
:pwn:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah it changes everything lol

i really like how the scythe boss to the south is like, your final exam on "do you have this dodge in dodge out rhythm down" because he will loving destroy you if you dont

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i really like how the scythe boss to the south is like, your final exam on "do you have this dodge in dodge out rhythm down" because he will loving destroy you if you dont

Lol yeah. He was my fav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

i found you could actually wait near him while he does one of his throwing attacks, charge up the spin attack, hit him when he lunges at you and then dash away - no need to actually dash in. maybe that's not 'optimal', tho

i haven't been doing any of the crazy animation-cancelling stuff or w/e.

Bobnumerotres posted:

theyre patching the game soon to fix some of the platforming jankyness and adding even more gearbits to the game lol. he apparently gathered a bunch of pro speedrunners and answered questions and he really made it sound like he would just keep gradually patching in new content and expanding the game for free

fuckin awesome

• Locked thread