Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SereneCrimson posted:

I second that Sabat's performance as Small Might is pretty fantastic. I was at first unimpressed by his Hero voice, but by now he's really gotten into both sides.

To me, the real standout in the dub is Bakugo. Especially in the latest episode (Deku vs. Kacchan) but overall I think the dub cast is pretty solid for everyone.

I can't loving wait to hear Sabat scream out that Plus Ultra though.

The real highlight of the recent episode was IIda going all out with his villain performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

it's the goddamn strings in the OST that kick in whenever All Might or Deku is about to do something amazingly heroic, on one level I know I should be wiser to this brand of playing the audience but on every other level I'm just hype as gently caress

In most shounen series the outcomes are foregone conclusions so the fights are more about how competently they're drawn/animated or how inventive they can be either in terms of action or comedy, but in MHA I find myself consciously rooting for All Might/Deku in a way that reminds me of childhood, like I really wanted All Might to win

It is embarrassing af but I can't help it
don't be embarrassed, this series is rad as poo poo and All Might is a cool dude

KoB
May 1, 2009
its ok to be earnest about the things you enjoy.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Liking things is for nerds.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Great episode.

Countblanc posted:

Someone please make a webm of the whole scene where All Might says he has to fight because he's the symbol of peace and then proceeds to beat the poo poo out of the Nomu, ending with the bit where he says he must be getting weaker since it took 300 punches

e: nevermind I made one https://my.mixtape.moe/kjekcu.webm

your webm reminded me... I thought it was weird that Deku said All Might was bleeding during that close up of All Might's smile because there was no blood. I thought he was bleeding in the manga. :shrug:

Butt Ghost posted:

don't be embarrassed, this series is rad as poo poo and All Might is a cool dude

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 21, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
it's less that I'm interested in apathy-chicken like you see online and more that I usually find it difficult to be fully engrossed in most stories, especially stories ostensibly not aimed at my demographic; I'm a grown-rear end American man, which firmly removes me from this show's likely intended audience, and while I don't possess any kind of academic qualifications and I don't ~blog~ about it, I like to try to form sophisticated opinions about the media I consume, which requires a degree of detachment even from things I enjoy

I'm really bad at doing this with My Hero Academia

a for-instance: I like JoJo - it's neat and intricate in a lot of ways and kinda aggravating in others, but overall I enjoy it quite a bit, and I Talk About It Online with my nerd friends, but I never found myself with like a sincere wish in my heart that Jotaro win a battle; it's kinda clinical, I guess? good art, interesting characters, weird powers, surreal goings-on, enjoyable stuff

during the last episode of My Hero Academia, I was truly rooting for All Might to win - the kid in me completely overwrote my adult brain, which consciously probably would've stepped in with something like "well of course he's going to win, he's the mentor figure to the main character and this is the first major battle we've seen him in, blah blah blah"

it's hard to parse or put into words, but it just hit a weird place in my feels, and it reminded me of good memories of childhood before I became an insufferable rear end in a top hat and I could still unironically just cheer for a hero

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
To use a wrestling term, you just marked out, my man. You let yourself go and had fun and it's cool and fine and good.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
All Might is the hero we need.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I agree whole-heartedly. I just don't do shounen anymore because I just cannot suspend my disbelief for it enough to derive enjoyment from it. But this show gives me chills and makes me feel like Deku in episode 1 watching his favorite All Might clip.

This series is just earnest and good and full of little details that don't need to be there but are anyway. I don't feel like I'm being forced to like any of these characters, or that I'm being talked down to, or directly addressed with a bunch of lovely exposition, which tend to be big issues with most series like this. I'm being allowed to enjoy it.

Like, the whole framing of this episode is structured around one simple thing: All Might has to fight this fight. It's not because he couldn't use help, it's not because the others couldn't help, it's because he has to take it all upon himself and triumph to be who he is to world he lives in.

You have Deku & co. standing around waiting for the show to follow the generic formula of "jinkies gang lets split this fight up and learn some things about ourselves" and it is actively prevented by a All Might being the goddamned coolest.

It's just so damned pure.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shere posted:

I agree whole-heartedly. I just don't do shounen anymore because I just cannot suspend my disbelief for it enough to derive enjoyment from it. But this show gives me chills and makes me feel like Deku in episode 1 watching his favorite All Might clip.

This series is just earnest and good and full of little details that don't need to be there but are anyway. I don't feel like I'm being forced to like any of these characters, or that I'm being talked down to, or directly addressed with a bunch of lovely exposition, which tend to be big issues with most series like this. I'm being allowed to enjoy it.

Like, the whole framing of this episode is structured around one simple thing: All Might has to fight this fight. It's not because he couldn't use help, it's not because the others couldn't help, it's because he has to take it all upon himself and triumph to be who he is to world he lives in.

You have Deku & co. standing around waiting for the show to follow the generic formula of "jinkies gang lets split this fight up and learn some things about ourselves" and it is actively prevented by a All Might being the goddamned coolest.

It's just so damned pure.

You already had Deku and co doing their bit to help earlier, but against Nomu and Hands guy they would just get killed or grievously injured as they're on a different level in terms of quirk powers and battle experience.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
All kept thinking was "man, that pinkie girl with the acid corrosive touch would've really shined against this shock-absorbing humongous monster".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

during the last episode of My Hero Academia, I was truly rooting for All Might to win - the kid in me completely overwrote my adult brain, which consciously probably would've stepped in with something like "well of course he's going to win, he's the mentor figure to the main character and this is the first major battle we've seen him in, blah blah blah"

I don't think it is the kid in you but the human being in you. All Might is a genuinely lovable character and little kids aren't the only ones that want to see the characters they love succeed. It's a pretty universal feeling.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

All Might is exactly the loving opposite of that, he is the best character and I will never get tired of him, I would watch a show that was just All Might doing All Might things and Small Might doing Small Might things all the time, every day

small might. gawd drat. that's even better than all-skel.

Ka0 posted:

All kept thinking was "man, that pinkie girl with the acid corrosive touch would've really shined against this shock-absorbing humongous monster".

Dude both regens and feels no pain though

Jintor fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 21, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
This series is very good at having a lot of genuinely likeable characters. Even if some of them fit into tropey sort of archetypes they're either really well done versions of them or have interesting twists/diversions from the norm. Whenever the next season rolls around we're going to see a lot more of that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
sometimes a vanilla ice cream is exactly what we need sometimes, and this show is the best tasting vanilla ice cream to come out in a loooong while.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jintor posted:

small might. gawd drat. that's even better than all-skel.

I've always thought of him as all-slight

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Kind of looks like he's on an All-Diet

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That episode was drat good, seeing the fight in motion really improves on the manga.

I'm just sad that we will have to wait for another season to see the part where the students come up with hero names, because some of the names they come up with are god drat hilarious.

And we haven't seen the kids from the other class either, most of whom are super cool.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tollymain posted:

this series is so refreshingly idealistic

Yeah it's the kind of thing that if Alan Moore (or someone similar) was writing All Might, it would either end up with his over the top power killing a ton of people by accident, making him constantly depressed because of his isolation from humanity, or just have him snap and turn bad then murder half the world. It's absolutely refreshing to just have an all powerful guy (that still has a weakness) but also be totally committed to being a Good Guy and saving regular people.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Radish posted:

Yeah it's the kind of thing that if Alan Moore (or someone similar) was writing All Might, it would either end up with his over the top power killing a ton of people by accident, making him constantly depressed because of his isolation from humanity, or just have him snap and turn bad then murder half the world. It's absolutely refreshing to just have an all powerful guy (that still has a weakness) but also be totally committed to being a Good Guy and saving regular people.

In Alan Moore's defense, he has spoken about how he dislikes how many people just kind of blindly copied the tone of Watchmen and made comics in general really cynical for a while. It's why he wrote Tom Strong, which is about as hooray Golden Age as it gets.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I love how Alan Moore credits himself as the originator of human cynicism.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Radish posted:

On the other hand you can make the argument that the darker cynical stuff paved the way for some of the back setting for MHA. The majority of the heroes we see use their powers for search and rescue and disaster relief, only a minority use their powers to straight up combat villains, so it's the reconstruction side of things.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In the world of MHA, the heroes are basically privatized versions of emergency services working under some government regulation. It's an interesting dynamic since privatized services like that have a really bad track record in reality but seem to mostly work ok in this comic/show.

In the comic this is starting to get addressed somewhat but I don't want to spoil anything.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Why didn't anybody try to attack the monster in the brain.

The exposed brain.

That's just sitting out there exposed.

Like throw a loving rock into it or something.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mutant Standard posted:

Why didn't anybody try to attack the monster in the brain.

The exposed brain.

That's just sitting out there exposed.

Like throw a loving rock into it or something.
I think All Might got him there a few times. Didn't seem to be particularly effective.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah when the body can take a direct hit from somebody who can affect weather patterns with a punch i don't think the place on the body you hit is going to change your results much

also it's not like that brain's doing much at this point :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Great episode.

your webm reminded me... I thought it was weird that Deku said All Might was bleeding during that close up of All Might's smile because there was no blood. I thought he was bleeding in the manga. :shrug:

Right before Deku says it, All Might has a spurt of blood shoot from between his teeth. The anime shows it as a quick bit of blood that flies off screen. In the manga the panel is frozen on the moment the blood leaks from his mouth.

Also he's got blood soaking the sides of his shirt from where the Nomu tried to rip out/puncture his kidneys.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

Right before Deku says it, All Might has a spurt of blood shoot from between his teeth. The anime shows it as a quick bit of blood that flies off screen. In the manga the panel is frozen on the moment the blood leaks from his mouth.

Also he's got blood soaking the sides of his shirt from where the Nomu tried to rip out/puncture his kidneys.

To be more exact. The part he is beeding from is were his scar is from the losing his stomach and a lung.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Season 2 has been confirmed by the way.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there a date on it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We learned who Vic Mignogna was in the latest episode of the Dub.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

MonsterEnvy posted:

We learned who Vic Mignogna was in the latest episode of the Dub.

Who is it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

Who is it?

Oh it's Shigaraki.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why isn't Michael Jones Bakugo? :( He's perfect for the role in every way!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fun final episode. Sounds like season 2 is coming quite soon.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
season 2 is gonna be so great

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Man the cheesy music swell when Iida shows up with the Pros was so good. It seemed a little too much in eps 1&2 but now that it's gotten to truly awesome heroic moments I love it.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

IT'S HIGH NOON

Present Mic getting to canary cry and Ectoplasm just clone jutsuing fools was a great addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tomura just getting lit the gently caress up by the hero who I'm pretty sure was in Horikoshi's oneshot before MHA was great.

Great show, very much looking forward to Season 2, this is some good rear end shonen.

• Locked thread