Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I can get why people aren't totally entranced by this first episode. There isn't really a big hook moment and like 60% was exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The manga didn't hook me until the second chapter so I'm not too surprised the first episode, which is only half of the first chapter, is receiving a lukewarm reception from some folks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Little Midoriya is very cute. :3:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I was in on the first chapter, but mostly because I've been cheering the mangaka on since Barrage. I liked all the western comic book touches the first episode has, I'm sure I saw some Ben-Day dots in the backgrounds occasionally, for instance.

Also I'm a big sucker for superheroes and punchman anime, so...

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Loved this first ep and hyped for more. The execution totally makes it; Bones are firing on all cylinders w the direction, pacing and character animation. Never read the manga, but there are already so many cute or charming touches to the set-up that endear me to these characters. The mundanity of why Deku doesn't have powers is so funny that it punches that harder in the gut when the reality of the situation sets in. I mean drat, poor kid's parents even have powers. That's gotta sting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hi i liked the first episode and think this show is going to be very fun and good

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm glad they're taking their time setting up the premise of this world full of semi-super-beings and how Quirkless people kinda get the shaft. It makes Midoriya a more sympathetic character and will give the coming story turn more impact.

On the down side, it does make this first episode mostly a downer. But at least there's hope at the end! For he's here!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=assZ9bcucmQ&t=20s

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The first 3 letters of the video I'D are rear end :allears:

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I can see why they split up the first chapter, but I'm still pretty bummed seeing that it's only a 13 episode run.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

JD posted:

I can see why they split up the first chapter, but I'm still pretty bummed seeing that it's only a 13 episode run.

Every anime that isn't produced Toei at this point is doing seasons. It's getting more.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I get why they're doing seasons and don't think anybody thought they'd do otherwise, 13 episodes just seems a bit short.

At the show's current pacing, that'll clear maybe the first two-and-a-half volumes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's a natural stopping place within that timeframe, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, and at least it's not like an Attack on Titan situation, where they had to wait four years for another stopping point to come up. There's probably enough material already for another 12 episodes if they wanted to take a season off and come back.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

With 13 episodes and the first two dedicated to the first chapter, I'm expecting this season ends with the first attack by the Villian Alliance.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Good thing Izuko was staying up to date on the latest versions of Windows

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

El Burbo posted:

Good thing Izuko was staying up to date on the latest versions of Windows

he's sad because on a youtube user page and the video is autoplaying

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Oh hey, fun fact I just discovered while looking for a potential Easter egg: yotube.com is a ripoff malware site. Don't go there.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I can see where someone who isn't already fully bought into watching this show because they're hooked on the manga would have found the first episode bland.
As someone who's been following the manga though, I'm loving all the little foreshadowing hints we get in this episode.
Anyone who hasn't read the manga really should stick around and give it the old three episode test.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Parallax posted:

he's sad because on a youtube user page and the video is autoplaying

it's his own page

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Peel posted:

it's his own page

ALL MIGHT HMV: NICKLEBACK HERO

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Worst thing about the adaptation:

they removed the symbolism of the chair, which divided deku from his mom, and what she said and what he wanted to hear

7/10

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm impressed they stuck with the honestly pretty downbeat/sad nature of the series' start.

Particularly since there wasn't the huge payoff in the first episode. Like one full episode dedicated to "it really sucks to be Midoriya" complete with a ridiculously cute rendering of little him having his dreams completely crushed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I had the opposite reaction. I felt Bakugou's, uh, antics, were played up for a more comedic effect than in the manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terper posted:

I had the opposite reaction. I felt Bakugou's, uh, antics, were played up for a more comedic effect than in the manga.
I dunno, the moment he tells Midoriya to kill himself is still kinda brutal.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The characters reactions were too humorous to be really sad.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

ALL MIGHT HMV: NICKLEBACK HERO
I, too, await the All Might HMV.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Terper posted:

Worst thing about the adaptation:

they removed the symbolism of the chair, which divided deku from his mom, and what she said and what he wanted to hear

7/10

Counterpoint:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Fabricated posted:

I dunno, the moment he tells Midoriya to kill himself is still kinda brutal.

hell i'd argue that baku being so affably a jackass makes that moment even more brutal

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I still don't really agree with splitting up the first chapter into two, but... it does allow room for some nice art and action. Nothing truly spectacular, but I could understand what was going on.

Justice was done to the climax of the episode (as well as All Might's... um, "Clark Kent" form) so I'm mostly content.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SgtSteel91 posted:

With 13 episodes and the first two dedicated to the first chapter, I'm expecting this season ends with the first attack by the Villian Alliance.

Sounds about right, the opening shows off two villain characters so we're at least getting that far.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

resurgam40 posted:

I still don't really agree with splitting up the first chapter into two, but... it does allow room for some nice art and action.

The first chapter was gigantic though, so including all of it in one episode would make it very badly paced because it'd be moving at a breakneck speed and having to cut out about half of it to just get it down to ~20 minutes in the first place.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not too proud to say I teared up a bit at the end there. For some reason, the line "You can become a hero" has always resonated with me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not too proud to say I teared up a bit at the end there. For some reason, the line "You can become a hero" has always resonated with me.

:same: This episode has all the payoff for the first, and serves as a better test for if you'll like the series as a whole.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
God I don't even cry at most things but I just shed a tear at the end. This adaptation is nailing it so hard right now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a reason I made that the title of the manga thread when I first made it (the current thread title is way better though).

I'm so happy this adaptation has been sooooo good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gnome7 posted:

There's a reason I made that the title of the manga thread when I first made it (the current thread title is way better though).

I'm so happy this adaptation has been sooooo good.

And a reason I pretty much made it the title of this thread too! It's a good line!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This adaption is a really good Sunday morning good vibe show. This early stuff is some real good poo poo and it only gets better from here.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I'm sorry (not sorry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They're really going for a slow burn on this, but I guess the first couple chapters being 2-3 episodes makes sense because there's a LOT of exposition in it.

Kinda hope this doesn't hurt viewership though- I want another season and while this is a treat for people who've read the manga it's sort of a slow start for people who might be new and wanting to get to the real plot.

• Locked thread