Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's just one of those asian honorific things not translating very well to English.

I guess the closest thing to it would be asking someone to call you by a nickname or having a pet name for someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

i honestly wish people would just leave in the honorifics; if only because everyone is so terrible at localizing them

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astro Ambulance posted:

i honestly wish people would just leave in the honorifics; if only because everyone is so terrible at localizing them

No, that was a dark and terrible time. They mean gently caress all to the story 99% of the time, and when they do it's mostly something that can be conveyed by using rude or overly genteel language.

Don't be an Orihime, dude.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Astro Ambulance posted:

No that's the lazy option. Just leaving them in and expecting people to keep up is awful practice for localization. You're just pandering to existing anime nerds, it's like leaving "nakama" untranslated.

All you have to do is translate the meaning of using different honorific into something similar in English. So like Asui telling people to call her by a nickname instead of telling people to use -chan. Varying levels of formality and familiarity and politeness are concepts that exist in English, they just take a little bit of effort to translate.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's fine to use japanese honorifics.

If the work calls for it. For something like My Hero Academia, which is essentially American Comics the Anime, I think it's also a good decision to NOT feature them, even if the entire thing takes place in Japan.

The way they took on translating Tsuyu was maybe a bit clumsy, for us it'd be a bit more like if Deku had kept calling her "miss" all this time and then she insisted "you know, you can just call me by my name, friend."

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I loving lost it when All Might scrunched down to the principal's level.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I kinda don't like how the Principal looks in animation but I an't put my finger on why. I don't think his design translates well.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Radish posted:

I kinda don't like how the Principal looks in animation but I an't put my finger on why. I don't think his design translates well.

All Might's tiny hopping while doing the squatting at the principal's level and moving around, though. :allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CryingAthena posted:

All Might's tiny hopping while doing the squatting at the principal's level and moving around, though. :allears:

Oh yeah that is great. :3:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gaijin opinions on translation itt

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hey, they finally sped up the pace a bit! And added sensible filler bits!

They also upped the gruesomeness of what happens to Aizawa- Noumu loving wrings him out like a lovely sponge.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

that sure was a lot of blood. also, seeing exactly what shiragaki's power does is loving terrifying. they didn't animate it quite enough to make it nightmare fuel but the conceptual reality of it is real bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Hey, they finally sped up the pace a bit!

It didn't feel that way to me during. Still felt a very tepid pace.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It didn't feel that way to me during. Still felt a very tepid pace.

There's about 5 chapters left in this arc for the anime to cover in the next 2 episodes. Maybe less since the 5th chapter after this is setting up for the next arc in addition to wrapping this one up. This episode ended at the exact same place as chapter 17 though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's weird because MHA is actually really fast paced as a manga and the anime doesn't carry that along.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's weird because MHA is actually really fast paced as a manga and the anime doesn't carry that along.

Dragonball is the exact same way.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo that was violent.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Dragonball is the exact same way.
Imagine four dragon balls on the edge of a cliff

e: finally saw the episode, it was real good

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 12, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As an anime only watcher I haven't had any real problems with the pacing. In fact, for the longest while I thought the entire season would be school life.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As a manga reader, I had no problem with the pacing in this episode. You're weird.

Also episode was really good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
2 chapters for a single episode is fine. It didn't felt like dragging at all to me. So yeah, but me in the I don't get that complaint at all camp.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jintor posted:

that sure was a lot of blood. also, seeing exactly what shiragaki's power does is loving terrifying. they didn't animate it quite enough to make it nightmare fuel but the conceptual reality of it is real bad.

There is also the fact that if he does touch you. You are pretty much guaranteed to die unless you are Aizawa. Because Aizawa was able to turn it off before the disintegration started spreading to the rest of his body.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm glad they didn't give it more detail because it was already gruesome enough, especially in combination with everything else.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

yes yes yes!

NO! Nooooooooo :gonk:

Anyway, good show, great episode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would have enjoyed it being more grusome

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Hey, they finally sped up the pace a bit! And added sensible filler bits!

They also upped the gruesomeness of what happens to Aizawa- Noumu loving wrings him out like a lovely sponge.

Nah, that's exactly what happened in the manga, it was just shown in a single panel so if you didn't look closely and see how horribly distorted his arm was you could miss it.

But yeah, that was good. Pacing of All Might's appearance at the end was a bit off; it felt weird for it to be so slow and involve just walking like that in such a tense moment, but that aside the episode was great. The few seconds of filler showing what students we didn't see at this point in the manga worked too; didn't think of it before since it was mentioned in one panel there, but putting Tokoyami in the Squall Zone was possibly an even worse move than throwing Tsuyu in the Flood Zone.

Also, nth-ing that Shigaraki's power was great and nasty in motion. I'm glad they animated him a bit more this time, too; him scratching himself like that was a bit unsettling.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It could flow a little better but I think it's only annoying because we're watching it week to week. Would anyone care if they had access to the full season?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

All Might's blaring trumpets were so out of place there lmao

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
All Might showing up at the end reminded me that he's the best character. My hope is that Deku will pick up a little bit of his personality along with his powers as he continues to grow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

All Might showing up at the end reminded me that he's the best character. My hope is that Deku will pick up a little bit of his personality along with his powers as he continues to grow.
"Never fear, for I... I... um... I, uh... I'm here now. Hi."

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
2 chapters per episode is the bare minimum for an adaptation imo

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Charlie Bobson posted:

2 chapters per episode is the bare minimum for an adaptation imo

Tell that to One Piece.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rudoku posted:

Tell that to One Piece.

I think they're down to half a chapter per episode, with at least 10 minutes of recap.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

"Never fear, for I... I... um... I, uh... I'm here now. Hi."

*cries*

just joshing. Deku would kill it.

Jintor fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 13, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jintor posted:

*cries*

If by 'it', you mean 'morale', then yes, yes he would.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rudoku posted:

Tell that to One Piece.

Bare minimum to be even remotely competently adapted, I think he meant

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think that MHA acquits itself fairly well with 2 chapters an episode. It evens out the pacing, lets them throw in some extra stuff and gives a bit better sense of what's going on. This episode used new, useful material for filler as well as matching flashback filler closer to the original manga.

I do think that production is learning a bit as they go as far as matching the manga's techniques. Horikoshi frequently uses previous panels as flashback/reminders. While that works in the manga, it kills the pacing and tone in the anime. I think they did a bit better of a job of it this episode, when instead of just showing happened all over again they used overlaid images or quick cuts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jintor posted:

*cries*

Honestly I could see it working. Like a Goku sort of thing.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
If the music wasn't so good I wouldn't like this adaptation nearly as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

things about this adaptation are making me bakugou-like. for example, showing the exact same scene with iida about to get caught by warpy guy twice in the same episode

• Locked thread