Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I still don't really agree with splitting up the first chapter into two, but... it does allow room for some nice art and action. Nothing truly spectacular, but I could understand what was going on.

Justice was done to the climax of the episode (as well as All Might's... um, "Clark Kent" form) so I'm mostly content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Waffleman_ posted:

"You can't use your power without breaking all your bones, idiot."

"FINE, I'LL JUST BREAK ONE FINGER. THEN I HAVE NINE MORE."

Aizawa is seriously one of my favorite characters is this drat story. He's kinda like Snape from Harry Potter with all the emotional baggage and hang-ups removed: something of a scary, unpleasant hardass personality-wise, but also highly knowledgeable,. supremely competent and a really drat good teacher. He's pretty much the perfect dampener to both Bakugou's arrogant showmanship and Deku's soppy idealism; what a good choice for a homeroom teacher at a superhero school.

Terper posted:

He's Kakashi

I never found Kakashi to be particularly unpleasant, myself, but yeah, he works too.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 1, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Well, having heard the first dubbed episode in full, it sounds pretty on point; most everyone sounded on point, at times scarily so (with the possible exception of Izuku's mom, who didn't really grab me). All of the emotional beats are hitting so far (which is a mixed blessing, considering how aggressively :smith: the series begins...)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Basically this.

Bakugou's response when he sees Deku's quirk is wonder if Deku tricked him. He feels slighted that the weak Deku he knows suddenly having power that matches his, but more than that he wonders if Deku was just stringing him along this entire time, and that's what hurts him more. Bakugou's not so much single minded in that he thinks he should always be the best given any situation, he barely reacts when he sees two other students scored higher than him on the Apprehension Test, it's that suddenly someone he has written out can stand beside him and possibly even in front of him, and that just kinda fucks with his constant narrative. If he can be surpassed by this nobody suddenly turned somebody, then what's stopping him from slipping even further.

Deku and Bakugou's entire relationship is fascinating once you learn more about their childhoods; psychology goons have noted that their dichotomy is a pitch-perfect example of the Fixed vs. Growth mindset, and even though the story we've seen clearly indicates Growth to be more important and get farther, there has been (as yet) exactly zero attemps to "fix" Bakugou, with the Power of Friendship(tm)* or otherwise- which makes Bakugou one of the most interesting characters in the story, because that's not something that's done often.

*not even by Deku, since his only indicated interest in that regard is wishing that the latter would stop beating him up so much

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 9, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Meanwhile Tokoyami wants to be bird-man Batman and that fine because that's ok.

Tokoyami is a really great example not just of the great side characters, but the interesting world, because you'd think, looking at him, that he'd be a flight or bird-themed hero style hero. But his powers have nothing to do with birds and he can't fly- he just happens to have a bird's head, just like Invisible-girl happens to be invisible (it is implied).

• Locked thread