Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't expect to tear up at this, but maybe it's I started reading it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

I never found Kakashi to be particularly unpleasant, myself, but yeah, he works too.

If you rewatch the early episodes of Naruto, you'll see he was sort of a dark foil early on, where he beats up our cast to teach them a lesson. He actually mildened out as the episodes ran and kind of stopped having anything evil about him after a few arcs.

I really like this archetype though, so I let it slide, but I think it's a little sad that we're rehashing that character in this. This is made up by...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I'm going to be contrary here and suggest that HxH isn't really that good anymore. Also I feel bad for its fans because Togashi is gonna die before he ever finishes it.

Eh, I'll hold judgement until the new arc actually gets to its substance. Right now we're still in what seems like a preparation phase. Ant arc was just sublime, so I'm willing to put up with some waiting to get to more meat, personally.

It also didn't start out fantastically imo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What planet are you people from where training for 9 months could take a nerd to an athletic masterpiece? We also saw what his training consisted of: cleaning up a beach. That isn't going to outshine someone who has been training well the rest of their lives and Izuki has clearly been a tad sheepish bookworm who has never gone outside for even a second.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

This is an anime, so

Yeah, I clued into that when he punched a giant tank robot. Point is that the anime also tries to follow a certain suspension of disbelief to raise the stakes on whether you think Deku is going to win or lose. Such as all his limbs breaking because he still launched himself 30 meters into the air and punched a pure metal frame and he didn't get out of it scott-free.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

His real super power is that his face is so 1-dimensional, he always appears as if looking straight at the camera even when he isn't.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Bakugo is spot on for a classmate I was friends with in primary school, so it's incredibly satisfying seeing that type of guy dealt with in this way.

Like, it's stunning how much detail that character had to emulate this rear end in a top hat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jintor posted:

one of the funny things about yaoyaoyao's 'fanservice' is that she always seems like she's totally either unaware of it or maybe more accurately like she doesn't give a poo poo you're seeing it, which I find amusing. Her expression is always really ho-hum when it comes to that.

It's funny though cos she gets super embarrassed easily about other stuff.

She picked it herself after all, it'd be odd, but not unusual to make a super hero costume you feel super embarrassed to be in.

a kitten posted:

I've decided that she's pretty cool.

"You did really well dodging" also applies to the thread. Nice.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Are you on your medication there, RareAcumen?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I'm just so fed up by Bakugou's actions as a violent Rude Boy. And he's not even violent in a positive way directed at villians 100% of the time!

He hates villains alright, he just hates nerds more than anything.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Baal posted:

I like this episode

I don't like Bakugo

But he's a more well written character than most characters like him

Oh, you think people like-like him? I don't think anyone like-likes Bakugo. He's written to be unlikeable and people like how well that is done.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Everyone has at least one unlikeable friend who wasn't a douche at first and they stick around anyways out of memory for the good ole' days but sometimes the bit of that friend shows through at the right moment.

I wish there was just one. Actually kinda glad I cut contact off with most of them, after I saw their Facebook profiles recently. Some people you could tell from an early age, really.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

I like his suspenders, and I totally get why he has ice on only one side, but I dunno, it looks like he didn't finish his costume. His one glowy eye is cool tho

My guess is that we'll eventually see a revision of his costume where one side is on constant fire and the other is ice.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

He appears to have abandoned the ice part of the costume later on.

Well, I mean in the way future, past manga as it currently stands as well. We haven't even seen Deku in his custome for a while either.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hear he once serviced 16 people at once.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, we can't change reality, so I guess your choice for legal pursuit is to go Funimation or get the discs at a later date.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Actually, Tsu is the best character.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
His super power is actually just super-intelligence.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's fine to use japanese honorifics.

If the work calls for it. For something like My Hero Academia, which is essentially American Comics the Anime, I think it's also a good decision to NOT feature them, even if the entire thing takes place in Japan.

The way they took on translating Tsuyu was maybe a bit clumsy, for us it'd be a bit more like if Deku had kept calling her "miss" all this time and then she insisted "you know, you can just call me by my name, friend."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was kinda weird in the manga too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

Bahaha. Like a SHAFT production. I made the right choice by not watching it yet.

Nope, you did not.

• Locked thread