Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I dig it. It's really good A+ would recommend to everyone who likes the shonen superpower punchshows and several who don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

If people are going into this expecting a subversive parody or something like Onepunch-Man they're going to be disappointed. This is a shonen battle series through and through, it just vastly improves on several typical mistakes of the genre and is a lot of fun. It's well written and almost all of the characters are likeable. Also the art is phenomenal but that doesn't really matter to the anime even though it also looks super good.

Unfortunately there's a moment in chapter 1 they didn't get to in the first episode which is what convinced me to keep reading, but unless your standards are unrealistically high I think MHA is very creative and clever.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Julias posted:

I don't what the deal is with DB super anymore. Anybody care to give a summary of what has happened so far.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kakashi was probably the most consistently not-terrible or mishandled character in Naruto so I don't necessarily mind the "hardass teacher" archetype being reused here. Aizawa is a cool guy. Strong ending to the episode, I thought all the hyper-inspirational music in the first two episodes was a little cheesy and on the nose but I think it definitely worked here.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I actually think the fact that All Might sounds like he's forcing it is perfect. Because, yknow, he IS forcing it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Love the POWERFUL TIMER in this episode.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

This is pretty much the peak of Bakugou's anger. He tapers off and is definitely still a raging jerk but this loss is pretty significant.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's important to remember that there's a clear dividing line between UA and the rest of the world. Until he joined, Bakugou was basically a child-god, and treated accordingly. Now he's just one of dozens of very talented students, he's got a worse attitude than pretty much any of them, and neither his classmates nor his teachers are especially prepared to put up with his poo poo. Remember that All Might didn't keep the fight going for Bakugou. He did it for Midoriya.

It's not exactly accurate to say he's "just one of dozens." Even among his new peers at UA he pretty consistently tends to stand out as one of the top 3 in most areas where performance or rankings are applicable. He just has tougher competition now, and he's not always guaranteed to get #1 in everything anymore like he used to be. That fact isn't necessarily what bugs him. It would spur him on to do better and he'd probably still be an irritable jackass to his classmates, but it's Midoriya specifically that's pushing all his buttons, just because he viewed Midoriya as the absolute lowest of the low, and now thinks he's had the wool pulled over his eyes all this time, so he's pissed about it.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 16, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

There are chapters of MHA where I legitimately think it moves too fast. I'm thankful for a less rushed pace in the anime. Taking it slower just has the unfortunate side effect of it being all about Midoriya and Bakugou for 2/3 of the season, and barely getting to show off the rest of Class A aside from Uraraka and Iida a little bit.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

This series is very good at having a lot of genuinely likeable characters. Even if some of them fit into tropey sort of archetypes they're either really well done versions of them or have interesting twists/diversions from the norm. Whenever the next season rolls around we're going to see a lot more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Man the cheesy music swell when Iida shows up with the Pros was so good. It seemed a little too much in eps 1&2 but now that it's gotten to truly awesome heroic moments I love it.

• Locked thread