Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think my favorite moment so far was the reveal that Deku keeps track of everyone he's a huge fan of, and that since Bakugo is in the book he's also someone Deku heavily admires. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Terper posted:

Bakugou did nothing wrong

Bakugo was pretty funny in his seething Rage but this episode established him very well for me as a character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nope, wrong.

If you can't see why this episode was good and important then there is no hope for you.

I think it's something I can really appreciate in comparison to Naruto and how Sasuke reacted in similar circumstances.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

Oh, you think people like-like him? I don't think anyone like-likes Bakugo. He's written to be unlikeable and people like how well that is done.

Everyone has at least one unlikeable friend who wasn't a douche at first and they stick around anyways out of memory for the good ole' days but sometimes the bit of that friend shows through at the right moment.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Mineta was very brave this episode

I'm amused at how often he's talking considering he's never talked before.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jintor posted:

*cries*

just joshing. Deku would kill it.

Honestly I could see it working. Like a Goku sort of thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ka0 posted:

I'm OK with the pacing of this show.

But my quirk is that I have insanely high patience. I went by the super alias The Waiter, but these days people call me EXPECTOR

I would unironically read your comic book.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I really like the contrast between All Might and his Clark Kent form, aside from seeming really chill like a traveling surfer hippy dude. I like how while he's a little more :geno: and :effort: it's clear he's still a Hero and thinking about the good of other people. It's like he's just obviously very tired. His All Might form seems like as a character, if he was ALL MIGHT ALL THE TIME would also probably tire the viewer a bit. It's like his own character has a pacing curve.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

His twerp form is the real him, and you can pick up the exhaustion/stress he feels at keeping appearances up.

I hope we don't get a lovely time skip and can see him teach the whole class as "himself".

On the other hand, I really do hope it gets to the point he trusts the class that he gets to that point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shere posted:

I agree whole-heartedly. I just don't do shounen anymore because I just cannot suspend my disbelief for it enough to derive enjoyment from it. But this show gives me chills and makes me feel like Deku in episode 1 watching his favorite All Might clip.

This series is just earnest and good and full of little details that don't need to be there but are anyway. I don't feel like I'm being forced to like any of these characters, or that I'm being talked down to, or directly addressed with a bunch of lovely exposition, which tend to be big issues with most series like this. I'm being allowed to enjoy it.

Like, the whole framing of this episode is structured around one simple thing: All Might has to fight this fight. It's not because he couldn't use help, it's not because the others couldn't help, it's because he has to take it all upon himself and triumph to be who he is to world he lives in.

You have Deku & co. standing around waiting for the show to follow the generic formula of "jinkies gang lets split this fight up and learn some things about ourselves" and it is actively prevented by a All Might being the goddamned coolest.

It's just so damned pure.

You already had Deku and co doing their bit to help earlier, but against Nomu and Hands guy they would just get killed or grievously injured as they're on a different level in terms of quirk powers and battle experience.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Radish posted:

Yeah it's the kind of thing that if Alan Moore (or someone similar) was writing All Might, it would either end up with his over the top power killing a ton of people by accident, making him constantly depressed because of his isolation from humanity, or just have him snap and turn bad then murder half the world. It's absolutely refreshing to just have an all powerful guy (that still has a weakness) but also be totally committed to being a Good Guy and saving regular people.

On the other hand you can make the argument that the darker cynical stuff paved the way for some of the back setting for MHA. The majority of the heroes we see use their powers for search and rescue and disaster relief, only a minority use their powers to straight up combat villains, so it's the reconstruction side of things.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why isn't Michael Jones Bakugo? :( He's perfect for the role in every way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Baal posted:

Because he works for Rooster Teeth not funimation

It's actually Eric Vale

He voice acts in Fairy Tail (also Funimation).

• Locked thread