Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My Hero Academia is Bones' adaptation of the runaway hit Shonen Jump manga by Kohei Horikoshi. In a world where 80% of the population possess Quirks, superpowered abilities, Izuku "Deku" Midoriya is one of the unlucky few to be completely Quirkless. However, this hasn't squashed his dreams of attending U.A. High School, the premiere hero training facility and becoming a hero in his own right, even though no one really believes in him. However, a chance encounter with the #1 hero in the world is set to change his life and finally make it possible for him to pursue his dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBRnSVaGmI

Staff
Director: Kenji Nagasaki
Series Composition: Yousuke Kuroda
Music: Yuuki Hayashi
Original creator: Kōhei Horikoshi
Character Design: Yoshihiko Umakoshi
Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda, Yukiko Maruyama
Sound Director: Masafumi Mima
Producer: Wakana Okamura

Dramatis Personae (for now)

Izuku Midoriya (Daiki Yamashita)
Quirk: None One For All
Known as "Deku," Izuku dreams of being a hero, even though he has no powers. He's an intense hero enthusiast, with an extensive collection of notes and observations on noteworthy heroes. Izuku has become All Might's disciple and inherited his Quirk One For All.

All Might (Kenta Miyake)
Quirk: One For All
The top hero in the world with amazing strength and Izuku's biggest role model. He and Izuku meet when All Might saves him from an attacking villain. After an encounter with a villain, his powers have been steadily weakening. Moved by Izuku's heroism, he has decided to pass on the ability One For All onto him.

Katsuki Bakugo (Nobuhiko Okamoto)
Quirk: Explosion
Izuku's classmate and bully, and the front-runner in his class to be accepted into U.A. His powers have been strong since he was young.

Ochaco Uraraka (Ayane Sakura)
Quirk: Zero Gravity
A girl Izuku met at the U.A. entrance exam. Seems nice.

Tenya Iida (Kaito Ishikawa)
Quirk: Engine
An intense guy Izuku met at the U.A. entrance exam.

The Verdict
This is a good anime. I loving love MHA, and this first episode is as good as I'd hoped for. It seems to be taking things a bit slower than the manga,which is not a bad thing because the manga's pretty fast-paced, and a lot happens in the first chapter. I give this series the Waffleman Seal of Approval, which means it's approved for use on normies.

My Hero Academia is licensed by Funimation, and episodes go up Sundays at 5am Eastern.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Chapter 1 was a really long one-shot pilot, though. The chapters from then on are significantly shorter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The chat thread is bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, and at least it's not like an Attack on Titan situation, where they had to wait four years for another stopping point to come up. There's probably enough material already for another 12 episodes if they wanted to take a season off and come back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not too proud to say I teared up a bit at the end there. For some reason, the line "You can become a hero" has always resonated with me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gnome7 posted:

There's a reason I made that the title of the manga thread when I first made it (the current thread title is way better though).

I'm so happy this adaptation has been sooooo good.

And a reason I pretty much made it the title of this thread too! It's a good line!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ratings really aren't a huge thing with anime. MHA is already mega popular, so it's pretty much already guaranteed to continue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh yeah, now that we're past the first chapter, the pace is going to most likely pick up greatly. From the preview, it's looking like the entrance exam is going to be covered in the span of a single episode, which is what I estimated. The manga packs a whole lot of content into its time, so even though we're going to be reaching a relatively early stopping point, we're not going to feel like we're rushing past content to get there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is seasonal. We're only doing 12 episodes for now. Long runners don't really happen anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, but it being seasonal means they're going to wait for enough material, so filler was never a problem, unless they just need to fill out a couple episodes like they did with Noragami S1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Listen, we're gonna meet the rest of the cast next week and poo poo's gonna pop off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is a seasonal anime, though?

Like, we're only getting a single cour right now. They don't really do many eternal long-runners anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a second season next year. I think there's already enough content past the estimated stopping point for at least 12 episodes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There is enough to do 24 episodes easy, I think they just want to space things out so they always have plenty of material ready to cover.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"You can't use your power without breaking all your bones, idiot."

"FINE, I'LL JUST BREAK ONE FINGER. THEN I HAVE NINE MORE."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Sandman posted:

So, Waffleman. You excited for getting your old avatar back next week?

I thought the same thing seeing the preview. :getin:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dammit I have to wait another week for my avatar!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/meijins/status/729468321419120641

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:syoon: Yaaaay!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shakugan posted:

So pretty much everyone who has a helmet/mask that obscures their face is going to have some accident that damages it, with it never getting replaced again for some reason?

Why not just give them designs that don't obscure their face in the first place ala Bakugo?

It's only Deku, and it gets replaced, calm the gently caress down.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yessssss.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mikl posted:

That is a really good avatar. The animation is what sells it.

Looking at it, I probably could have made the gif hold a few frames at the end, but the 5 bux have been spent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, this was at 80, so I don't know if there was a whole lot else I could do. I'm fine with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

J. Michael Tatum is Iida and Sonny Strait is Present Mic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

First two episodes: This is too slow.

Now: They should have given more time to spread the next arc out over longer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

wereboat posted:

Needs an eight minute flashback showing deku falling off his bike or I don't understand the context

Please don't try to stir poo poo up again.

• Locked thread