Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
People keep treading near (or in at least one case outright stating) manga spoilers. This is the anime thread, so that doesn't seem particularly considerate to the people experiencing it the first time here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Futaba Anzu posted:

one guy straight up listed all the major plot points in the manga in this thread, lol

Oh right, I forgot about that. Yeah, that's not great either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nalin posted:

What's #1 then? :smug:

Hunter X Hunter, since it's running presently. I'm curious what's in second place now, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Aizawa's evil smile. The twisted glee in it is great.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I know that his character is "underdog" but it kind of shatters my immersion when Izuku's blowing out of his arse at minor physical exertion when all the other kids are perfectly fine when it's a plot point that he was training constantly and hard for a good 9 months under All Might.

The episode is really good though and Deku's mom is precious.

I think part of it, for the trials in this episode, was due to the broken finger and all. Last episode, well, he did alright physically but nothing spectacular compared to the quirk-enhanced results. Also I don't think it was animated in this but in the manga at least Bakugou's explosion-boosting himself when they ran together knocked Deku off course for a moment (though he still, as in the episode, was faster than Uraraka).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TriffTshngo posted:

This is pretty much the peak of Bakugou's anger. He tapers off and is definitely still a raging jerk but this loss is pretty significant.

This loss, and also being at Yueii at all, among other things. Before he was a big fish in a small pond, but now he's where the best of the best go; I'm not going to go into spoilers but there are some extremely skilled students there. We already saw him not get the highest score in Aizawa's test, if I'm not mistaken. The staff also isn't going to fawn over him constantly like the adults in his life used to, either.

Deku trumping him is a big part of it, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

When people say Bakugou is a product of society I think they mean less that society turned him into the person he is, but more that society gave him the environment to turn himself into a terrible human being. All society really did was give him his huge ego and the belief that he's better than all his peers (since his quirk was better than all his peers, and society puts a lot of emphasis on quirks) and then from that base he became an rear end in a top hat. Everything else though, he basically fashioned himself, his bullying, his treatment of those he thinks he's better than, his anger and rage at everyone and everything when he feels like he's not the best person in the room, and his hatred of Deku literally just because the kid tried to help him when he's supposed to be weak. That's all Bakugou, society didn't encourage him to do that. He's kinda a terrible person.

It kind of did, though? Look at how people treated Bakugou after the event with the slime villain, versus how they treated Deku. Deku got chewed out for how stupid he is, being a quirkless kid who ran in anyway, while Bakugou had people fawning over how awesome his quirk is. That's admittedly not the best example because Deku was foolish there, but that's how it went for everything. He'd get excused or praised no matter what he did, while Deku got chewed out by teachers for wanting to be a hero at all. Bakugou was constantly told he really was better than other people, particularly Deku, explicitly or implicitly.

That's not saying that he isn't an rear end in a top hat or that none of it comes from him, mind. He really is a terrible person. It's just that society also all but explicitly said "you are outright better than everyone else" with how it treated him. It did quite a bit more than just give him an ego; it outright encouraged his behavior and his belief that other people are inferior to him, albeit not deliberately.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it a bit more and rereading, I think we're saying basically the same thing, and I just think you're understating how badly people hosed up when it came to handling Bakugou, Because they really, really badly hosed up, particularly people like his teachers.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 16, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TriffTshngo posted:

It's not exactly accurate to say he's "just one of dozens." Even among his new peers at UA he pretty consistently tends to stand out as one of the top 3 in most areas where performance or rankings are applicable. He just has tougher competition now, and he's not always guaranteed to get #1 in everything anymore like he used to be. That fact isn't necessarily what bugs him. It would spur him on to do better and he'd probably still be an irritable jackass to his classmates, but it's Midoriya specifically that's pushing all his buttons, just because he viewed Midoriya as the absolute lowest of the low, and now thinks he's had the wool pulled over his eyes all this time, so he's pissed about it.

There's more to it than just Deku; not to go into spoilers, but the next major arc and particularly the one after that (which I doubt the first season of the anime will cover unless I'm misremembering and it's getting two cours, not one) have him develop quite a bit for reasons other than Deku. He remains pretty angry and a dick, but he mellows out a bit and grows over time as it goes on. (I'm rereading the series now because I went to check something, and I actually forgot some of Bakugou's development in that stretch.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

Haha boy if people are having this severe a reaction to bakugo's attitude it'll be great when a certain hero shows his stupid face

If you're talking about who I'm thinking of, we won't get to him until season two. Hoo boy, though, when that happens... What a fucker.

That said, one of my favorite characters, who is also quite an rear end in a top hat, should be making their debut next episode. I'm looking forward to that, even though it'll probably be really short depending on how they convert the coming chapters into episodes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

How do you feel about peak human perviness?

Oh, I forgot about him; when Invictus posted earlier I thought of a certain other character, but that person (who will show up this season) sucks in different ways. Not nearly as utterly awful ones, but ones that will probably get reactions from the thread. He might be who Invictus was talking about instead, come to think of it. We'll see, I guess.

ninjewtsu posted:

Personally, I find bakugou way more entertaining because he's an rear end in a top hat, and I hope there's more characters who aren't morally perfect in the future

There are some interesting moral things going on in this, even among the heroes and, actually, the villains. Most of it is in material that I don't think's going to make it into the first season of the anime, but the series does interesting things in this area.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 16, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm talking about

That's who I originally thought, alright. Yeah, what a fucker.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, as we saw, Bakugou not only has to deal with losing to Deku, but also no longer being a big fish in a small pond; as he saw with Todoroki and Yaoyorozu, he's among the best of the best now. He isn't the best by default anymore.

Also, one of my favorite characters had their debut in the post-credits scene this episode, which is neat. Though his voice sounded odd; it didn't seem the same as the one in that clip that was put on their YouTube channel. I wonder what's up with that.

(Also yes, Yaoyorozu is cool but her outfit, while arguably justified by her power as we'll see, is still unnecessarily creepy. The author perving over her is one of the few things I dislike about this series.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LostRook posted:

Disappointed they cut the line that ends the associated manga chapter, but on the whole I think they did about as well as they could for this episode.

Huh, yeah, that's an odd omission. They might be putting it at the start of the next episode, I guess, to make that flow better.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jintor posted:

latest ep is up. aizara reks shop, tsuyu and midoriya come up with a plan, and shiragaki basically stands in one place the entire episode

Huh, yeah, it's a bit disappointing how little they animated Shigaraki. In the manga, when the villains are wondering where All Might is he's bizarrely agitated by his absence, almost twitching with irritation. He had a lot more menace to him; given the little touches they did with even minor characters (like the shark guy trying to splash away Mineta's grapes), it's strange that they had the big villain just stand perfectly still for the most part. Next episode he's going to actually do stuff though, so that should be better.

Also disappointed at how they handled a (admittedly very minor) moment on the ship. There should have been a beat between Deku talking about Black Mist sending them there and Tsuyu asking him to go on, since that's supposed to be a comedic moment and all. Given how much they seem to be filling space with things like Deku flashing back to all the times All Might inspired him and whatnot, it's odd that they didn't have a second or two more of silence there so the joke actually landed.

Nitpicking aside, it was still an entertaining episode.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

During this period of time in the manga Shiggy just stands there because he's observing Aizawa. He makes his move pretty much around when this episode ends.

They didn't gently caress up the beat panel around Mineta's power explanation though which is one of the best jokes in the arc.

Right, but he was a bit more animated in the beginning, is what I meant. He did stand around after that though, watching Aizawa, as you say.

And yeah, they got that joke down, which was funny. Though it does make the earlier missed beat odd.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, though; I am curious how they're going to handle what happens next in Aizawa's fight.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

Actually, Tsu is the best character.

That "Tsu" thing bothers me, because it's so weird. Like, what she's actually saying is "call me Tsuyu", because it's her given name, but since this is Japan everyone is using her family name, Asui. She's basically saying "don't be so formal, we're friends, use my first name". Since they still translate everyone else calling her "Asui", going from that to "Tsu" is odd. It's a really bizarre choice from whoever's translating it that feels like it's missing what's actually going on there.

I do agree that Tsuyu is one of the best students, though. It was actually her that got me into the series; back when it was new, I saw art of her and thought "oh hey, that character looks neat, what's she from" and found the manga series that way.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

-chan is probably the least awkward way to use a girl's first name. It does imply some familiarity, but -san would just make you wonder why he's not just using her surname, and no honorific at all is even closer, almost intimate.

Yeah, this. I left out the suffix because that's how the translated manga pages handle it (thankfully most scanlations aren't awkwardly forcing suffixes in) and that'd be a better way to localize it, but really "-chan" doesn't make it a nickname. There aren't any better suffix options, and actually not having the suffix would be even more familiar. Like, only Deku's mother calls him "Izuku" rather than "Midoriya-kun" or something, because they're family and all, for the main example I can think of.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Hey, they finally sped up the pace a bit! And added sensible filler bits!

They also upped the gruesomeness of what happens to Aizawa- Noumu loving wrings him out like a lovely sponge.

Nah, that's exactly what happened in the manga, it was just shown in a single panel so if you didn't look closely and see how horribly distorted his arm was you could miss it.

But yeah, that was good. Pacing of All Might's appearance at the end was a bit off; it felt weird for it to be so slow and involve just walking like that in such a tense moment, but that aside the episode was great. The few seconds of filler showing what students we didn't see at this point in the manga worked too; didn't think of it before since it was mentioned in one panel there, but putting Tokoyami in the Squall Zone was possibly an even worse move than throwing Tsuyu in the Flood Zone.

Also, nth-ing that Shigaraki's power was great and nasty in motion. I'm glad they animated him a bit more this time, too; him scratching himself like that was a bit unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that was actually faithful. No. 13 tells Iida to go and faces off against Black Mist; when we return, we find Black Mist having redirected the black hole and wrecked No. 13, and Iida hasn't moved an inch despite some time presumably having passed. Then he tries to leave, Black Mist goes for him, Shouji interrupts him but because he's a teleporter made of mist he worms out of it, then Uraraka and co. thwart that attempt and Iida escapes. So, basically exactly what happened in the anime.

• Locked thread