Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I started reading this like a month ago off friends recommendations and it's real good! I just started the Sports Festival arc which isn't even like a fourth of the series I think? I'm bummed it's only 13 episodes but it's gonna be stellar so oh well.

The first episode was good and the Young Deku scenes are really cute. Also the scene where he's crying in front of the computer kiiiiinda gets me in a big way and i hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This adaption is a really good Sunday morning good vibe show. This early stuff is some real good poo poo and it only gets better from here.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I stopped reading the manga literally the day this anime started a bit way through the arc that's after where we all assume the anime will get too, I guess because the anime did enough on it's own to scratch that shounen itch for me but then I see stuff like

Eej posted:

Yeah and it makes me sad that we're not going to hit (manga stuff we won't reach yet) the mall scene where she's about to rip a dude's face off.
and maybe i should keep reading the manga

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Real good episode, it's super fun to finally see this ball rolling. Next episode seems to be covering the next two chapters, so pacing is def picking up. I'm still real excited for this.

also yeah Izuku's broken flapping arm looked real bad in a hosed up way. Deku's mom's a good character too

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I am very excited for others to meet the rest of the cast. There's at least three times during the OP when they flash all the characters where it's just "hell yeah, that's my dude right there." These super powered high schoolers are preeeetty great.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'd consider JoJo a long runner if only for it having over 900 chapters and it'll probably have near a 200 episode count by the time the anime catches up to where it is right now, but the manga being monthly and the anime taking almost two year breaks really helps any Long Run fatigue.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Aizawa's voice actor is super good and thank god we're finally seeing more of the class, because man they're all great.

Also, here's a funfact. The OP and ED are good, but there's the briefest of moments in ED that my dumb brain thinks sounds like Wonderwall and it bothers me immensely

e: Also today's ep actually covered two chapters so yeah, pacing is def increasing

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 1, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
All Might is All Right and Midoriya is pretty good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Todoroki coming in second is BS, like how the heck you compete with Yaoyorozu's OP quirk, my boy's been HAD.

I really love just loving angry Bakugo is. He's just fuming with rage and goddamn if he isn't going to let it out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

To be honest, everything about him implies the opposite - he's a genius with a ridiculously powerful quirk who's always been treated like the king of the world, and can't handle that situation getting disrupted. That's especially why Deku pisses him off - while his fellow students at UA are highly-performing elites who he can expect to give him a challenge (although he'll always come in first place because he's Bakugou Katsuki), Deku, the quirkless nobody, trying to rise above his station is deeply irritating, and him actually managing to do it and coming close to Bakugou's lead is just existentially terrifying. It implies that he might not be so much of a chosen one after all.
Basically this.

Bakugou's response when he sees Deku's quirk is wonder if Deku tricked him. He feels slighted that the weak Deku he knows suddenly having power that matches his, but more than that he wonders if Deku was just stringing him along this entire time, and that's what hurts him more. Bakugou's not so much single minded in that he thinks he should always be the best given any situation, he barely reacts when he sees two other students scored higher than him on the Apprehension Test, it's that suddenly someone he has written out can stand beside him and possibly even in front of him, and that just kinda fucks with his constant narrative. If he can be surpassed by this nobody suddenly turned somebody, then what's stopping him from slipping even further.

sidenote: I'm not even close to being caught up with the manga, but since I'm a big dumb idiot who likes physical media, this anime is making me awfully tempted to buy the English releases and maaaaaaan

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Terper posted:

Because this is the first time UA actually sees that. He's been abrasive and rude, but this is the first time his attitude really comes to light for everyone. He has also displayed several heroic characteristics found in All Might himself: he is confident, self-assured, someone the people can look up to and declare their savior.

Deku is selfless and heroic, yes, but All Might is also so much more than that. All Might is, to the general populace, someone who is incredibly cocky and self-assured, someone who never shows a hint of fear, someone who absolutely dominates every battle without so much as a sweat. Neither Deku or Bakugou are All Might, but together they form something very close to him. And they're both still children with room to grow.
This is a Good Post. Another fun parallel is that the explosion looking things attached to Bakugo's head are similar to Deku's bunny ears that are a reference to All Might's hair. It doesn't really look like it at first at all, but there's a moment after firing his nitroglycerin launcher where he's coming through the smoke and his silhouette has the same sort of look.

Bakugo has heroic qualities about him for sure, he's not a raging sociopath that is waiting to murder Deku at every turn, but he certainly is ready to fight him and this is his first sanctioned opportunity. Bakugo is just a dumb teen with the ability to constantly generate explosions and is about of a bad combination as you would expect.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 15, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah I love todoroki too

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like Bakugo and that the second he sees Todoroki in action, he just goes "man, gently caress me sideways" and realizes he's going to have to get a lot better, that's better written rival character.

Also Bakugo's costume loving rules, please put more of it onscreen, thanks. Meanwhile, Todoroki's costume blows

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like his suspenders, and I totally get why he has ice on only one side, but I dunno, it looks like he didn't finish his costume. His one glowy eye is cool tho

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AtomikKrab posted:

He has his reasons for rejecting half his body.
Yeah I've read far enough in the manga to get the idea behind it. Still, underwhelming when you look at people like Tsuji, Iida and Bakugo who are just looking so so right.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
While I brought it up, I don't absolutely hate it, I like it better when it doesn't cover one half of his face though, but I dunno why it's not in this art. I just find this look kiiiiinda lame, moreso in group shots when he's surrounded by dudes wearing much cooler poo poo. How do you even put the ice on, just freeze the half your body? That seems silly!

It works for Todoroki yeah, but I feel the ice is usually drawn weird like in the big group shot in the OP and makes this boy look like a dummy. Like maybe have the ice cover the entire thing at least I dunno, this is just more along the lines of Nothing.

Either way, this is super picky , but somehow still better than the pacing discussion i guess. All these superhero teens are good, and I just want them to look their best.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 24, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Still really glad this manga is getting animated. Uraraka furiously nodding as Thirteen talked was super cute, you can even see their influence on her in her costume.

Tsuyu's voice is really good and Hand Boy coming out of the portal is still pretty great even if the mass group scene looked a lil Eh.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the sequence of mineta desperately throwing out balls at the villains and then turning to wordlessly cry and gesture at midoriya about how lame his power is was the moment he was cemented in my heart as best character
Mineta's pervert gimmick is the most unfunny thing, but this ruled

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 6, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nah, not really

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Dragonball is the exact same way.
Imagine four dragon balls on the edge of a cliff

e: finally saw the episode, it was real good

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 12, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
To use a wrestling term, you just marked out, my man. You let yourself go and had fun and it's cool and fine and good.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tomura just getting lit the gently caress up by the hero who I'm pretty sure was in Horikoshi's oneshot before MHA was great.

Great show, very much looking forward to Season 2, this is some good rear end shonen.

• Locked thread