Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Little Midoriya is very cute. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I appreciate that everyone who actually has to deal with Bakugo correctly treats him as a giant rear end in a top hat rather than a prodigy to be admired, but I have to admit, it seems odd that the faculty in general doesn't seem to recognize what a massive pile of issues he is. Dude is a pile of dead bodies waiting to happen.

I still don't buy that he's the product of his society, either. People who are unbelievably spoiled sometimes act like Bakugo does when they're crossed, but the fact that Bakugo is seething with rage 100% of the time, even when he's brushing his teeth, indicates that either there's something much more deeply wrong with him or that he just isn't written to make sense as a human being.

When people say Bakugou is a product of society I think they mean less that society turned him into the person he is, but more that society gave him the environment to turn himself into a terrible human being. All society really did was give him his huge ego and the belief that he's better than all his peers (since his quirk was better than all his peers, and society puts a lot of emphasis on quirks) and then from that base he became an rear end in a top hat. Everything else though, he basically fashioned himself, his bullying, his treatment of those he thinks he's better than, his anger and rage at everyone and everything when he feels like he's not the best person in the room, and his hatred of Deku literally just because the kid tried to help him when he's supposed to be weak. That's all Bakugou, society didn't encourage him to do that. He's kinda a terrible person.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

It kind of did, though? Look at how people treated Bakugou after the event with the slime villain, versus how they treated Deku. Deku got chewed out for how stupid he is, being a quirkless kid who ran in anyway, while Bakugou had people fawning over how awesome his quirk is. That's admittedly not the best example because Deku was foolish there, but that's how it went for everything. He'd get excused or praised no matter what he did, while Deku got chewed out by teachers for wanting to be a hero at all. Bakugou was constantly told he really was better than other people, particularly Deku, explicitly or implicitly.

That's not saying that he isn't an rear end in a top hat or that none of it comes from him, mind. He really is a terrible person. It's just that society also all but explicitly said "you are outright better than everyone else" with how it treated him. It did quite a bit more than just give him an ego; it outright encouraged his behavior and his belief that other people are inferior to him, albeit not deliberately.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it a bit more and rereading, I think we're saying basically the same thing, and I just think you're understating how badly people hosed up when it came to handling Bakugou, Because they really, really badly hosed up, particularly people like his teachers.

Oh yeah people hosed up badly, but there are others in the class with just as good a quirk who didn't become as horrible people. Probably because they never really acted out in the first place and thus adults didn't need to step in like they should've done with Bakugou. But like Bakugou was just the right kind of person to turn out terribly in this world. It made his already bad qualities way worse and made him think that was fine.

So, yeah I think we do have the same thoughts on this. I just get a little annoyed when people point to society as the main reason Bakugou turned out the way he is, when I think it's more 50-50. Society and particularly the way adults considered him made him pretty awful but his own personality and stuff contributed pretty heavily to it as well.

• Locked thread