Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Watched the first four or five episodes of this - got to Eraserhead doing his creepysmile at Deku post-broken finger. I have a heart of stone, but fiction has been killing me lately - I cried a little during The Force Awakens, and I found myself getting misty-eyed whenever the soaring soundtrack kicks in during My Hero Academia too. All Might is objectively the best character, if a really bad teacher, and his encourage of Deku strikes a weird chord in me that just makes me Feel Things. Part of it might be that I always expect these mentor characters to be more like Kakashi (who functionally is the same as Eraserhead), where, yeah, you know they care but getting them to show it is difficult at best.

All Might is amazing because not only does he reverse his original statement to Midoriya ("You can be a hero!") but he seems to genuinely be a fan of his, as well. All Might likes Midoriya and is pretty blatant about this fact, which is refreshing and cool, especially when he does things like go out of his way to make sure Deku knows he didn't pull strings to get him into UA.

Top three "No, there's an eyelash in my eye" moments watching MHA so far:
  • All Might delineating the nature of the exam and that Rescue Points exist, and that Midoriya got in to UA
  • All Might telling Deku that he can be a hero
  • All Might calling Deku an inspiration right before DIITUROITOOOOO SUMAAAASHHHHUUUUU

Some of it is just expert audience manipulation and making the narrative about achieving dreams that seem impossible, but it works because the show (mostly via All Might) only ever oscillates between two settings on the Hype Meter, which is 0 (Deku being a scrublord and literally tripping over his own two feet) and 11 (KOing the loving invincible boss robot). The surges in the visuals, the soundtrack, and the mood, plus the unbounded optimism of the message when the episodes peak like that, just makes for a very potent mix of emotion - like a shocking amount for what's basically a kid's cartoon.

This is a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Jintor posted:

plus loving ultra

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

All Might is so cool god drat

Al-Saqr posted:

All Might is loving Awesome. God drat.

Also, I think all might is a walking example of what a massive difference the right voice actor can make, all might's voice is so loving radical it's like, half his character.

a kitten posted:

I can't even believe how much All Might owns.

I am super-resistant to liking characters that the author of a given work obviously wants you to like, usually - when most authors/illustrators go too far to put a character over, it just makes them feel obnoxious and ubiquitous

All Might is exactly the loving opposite of that, he is the best character and I will never get tired of him, I would watch a show that was just All Might doing All Might things and Small Might doing Small Might things all the time, every day

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

MattTheDoctor posted:

I teared up at Plus Ultra. Incredible.

it's the goddamn strings in the OST that kick in whenever All Might or Deku is about to do something amazingly heroic, on one level I know I should be wiser to this brand of playing the audience but on every other level I'm just hype as gently caress

In most shounen series the outcomes are foregone conclusions so the fights are more about how competently they're drawn/animated or how inventive they can be either in terms of action or comedy, but in MHA I find myself consciously rooting for All Might/Deku in a way that reminds me of childhood, like I really wanted All Might to win

It is embarrassing af but I can't help it

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

it's less that I'm interested in apathy-chicken like you see online and more that I usually find it difficult to be fully engrossed in most stories, especially stories ostensibly not aimed at my demographic; I'm a grown-rear end American man, which firmly removes me from this show's likely intended audience, and while I don't possess any kind of academic qualifications and I don't ~blog~ about it, I like to try to form sophisticated opinions about the media I consume, which requires a degree of detachment even from things I enjoy

I'm really bad at doing this with My Hero Academia

a for-instance: I like JoJo - it's neat and intricate in a lot of ways and kinda aggravating in others, but overall I enjoy it quite a bit, and I Talk About It Online with my nerd friends, but I never found myself with like a sincere wish in my heart that Jotaro win a battle; it's kinda clinical, I guess? good art, interesting characters, weird powers, surreal goings-on, enjoyable stuff

during the last episode of My Hero Academia, I was truly rooting for All Might to win - the kid in me completely overwrote my adult brain, which consciously probably would've stepped in with something like "well of course he's going to win, he's the mentor figure to the main character and this is the first major battle we've seen him in, blah blah blah"

it's hard to parse or put into words, but it just hit a weird place in my feels, and it reminded me of good memories of childhood before I became an insufferable rear end in a top hat and I could still unironically just cheer for a hero

• Locked thread