Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I am surprised that no one has posted this yet!

And I am even more surprised that there isn't actually an easy place to find a definitive list of these.

How many US National Parks have you visited? There are dozens of National Parks, ranging from the very obviously parky ones (Yellowstone, which is rightfully considered the flagship of the national park system) to the less traditionally park like (Independence Hall, in Philadelphia). There are also National Recreation Areas and National Historic Sites, which are more or less National Parks under a different name. Some National Parks consist of multiple sites, like the Nez Perce National Historic Park, which has 38 different locations in four states.

This map, while incomplete, is the best single map I could find:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
My list includes:

Yellowstone National Park
Glacier National Park
Redwoods National Park
(the only three "traditional" big national Parks I've been to)

Independence Hall
Mount Vernon
Boston National Historic Park
Statue of Liberty
Colonial Battlefield National Park
(basically the obvious East Coast tourist parks)

Little Big Horn National Battlefield
Nez Perce Historical Park
Fort Vancouver National Historic Park

Golden Gate National Recreation Area

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

lavaca posted:

Parks:
North Cascades (the park, not just the NRA)
Mount Rainier
Olympic
Crater Lake
Redwoods
Lassen
Yosemite
Glacier
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Acadia
Shenandoah
Great Smoky
Mammoth Cave
Congaree (the map is a few years out of date)
Everglades
Denali
Kenai Fjords
Glacier Bay
Haleakala

I have been within a few hundred feet of Wrangell-St Elias and Biscayne

Other NPS sites:
Lava Beds
Muir Woods
Castillo de San Marcos
Big Cypress
Boston
C&O Canal
Cumberland Gap
Fort Sumter
Harpers Ferry
Klondike Gold Rush (this is a good place to poop in downtown Seattle)
San Juan Island
Lewis and Clark
Ebey's Landing
FDR's house, MLK Jr's house and the White House
Chickamauga, Antietam and Shiloh battlefields (these are nicer places to visit than you might expect)
Canaveral and Point Reyes National Seashores
Most of the National Recreation Areas on the West Coast

That's a lot of places! Was this planned, or did it just kind of happen naturally in a life of travelling?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

lavaca posted:

The western parks are mostly from living in various places up and down the West Coast. The eastern parks came from various road trips. I like to think that the most obscure park I've visited is North Cascades because you can only get there by driving down a very long dirt road or by hiking several miles from the highway. Most people have only visited Ross Lake National Recreation Area (which is where the visitor center and campgrounds are located)

But you missed Fort Vancouver Historic Park?

Vancouver gets no love. :(

• Locked thread