Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
There are probably a bunch I went to as a kid that I haven't been to again but as far as I can figure it off that map...

Craters of the Moon
Glacier NP
Little Bighorn Battlefield
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons
Timpanogas Cave
Arches
Carlsbad Caverns
Olympic NP
Coulee Dam
Redwood NP
Point Reyes
Golden Gate Recreation Area
Joshua Tree
Yosemite
Kings/Sequoia
Devil's Postpile
Shenandoah NP
Harper's Ferry
C&O (maybe? I've been on the C&O canal many times in different areas)
Delaware Water Gap
Independence
Statue of Liberty
Cape Cod National Seashore
Assateague Island
The Grand Canyon

All of the National Park areas in DC (like the National Mall, monuments, etc)

Mayyybe some of areas in southern Utah like Canyonlands, Natural Bridges, etc, but I'm not 100% sure.

Might as well consider myself as having gone to Muir Woods even though I haven't gone through the entrance proper, but I've hiked and biked all around that area including right past the entrance.

Not counting the National Forests I've spent time in as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey Americans, you need to stop your government from being so loving awful.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/green/report/2016/04/11/135044/the-rise-to-power-of-the-congressional-anti-parks-caucus/

You guys have badass parks and it's scary that people want to change that.

Yeah it's fueled in part by the gigantic shitheads that swept into congress a few years ago and in part by some very very rich people trying very hard to buy up as much public land as they can so they can have their private playgrounds which is supremely hosed up. Beyond that you have the typical "but we need to log and mine and drill for oil everywhere even if there's no reason to do it the environment is dumb" stuff going on.

Unlikely that real national parks and monuments and all that will fall to that kind of stuff but BLM land in particular I think is at risk because it's managed more locally and easier to get parceled off without people flipping out.

there's a somewhat decent chance this year that congress will get balanced back more towards the Dems who are generally better about these issues, as this is a presidential election year which is when the Dems actually get out and vote and do more local and congressional voting. For some stupid rear end reason the off inbetween presidential elections are when Dems decide not to vote at all and republicans make big gains in congress. This is simplifying things but still.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Im_drunk posted:

I've only ever been to Yosemite but was disappointed by how crowded it was. I'm looking forward to exploring deeper into the mountainous abyss this summer with some friends though.

Yeah if you get away from the valley and popular trails it's nice. Pity the valley is so built up now, it'd be awesome if it was more backcountry but on the other hand providing better access to people is important too and blah blah

• Locked thread