Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This is not true for Germany at least.

Süddeutsche has stuff about German banks doing shady stuff. And Siemens.

I'm going off the map of public officials implicated. I'm sure there are loads of private citizens in American-allied countries that are involved with this.

(thus far)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Real reason: American media are more cautious and triple check before piblishing any names.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-panama-papers-20160403-story.html

LA times just reported

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Carrying an AP piece on it

Having a scan over the ICIJ's journalists in the US most of them seem to academics so maybe they don't have a media partner to carry the pieces in the same way as the UK

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Could the FBI use information from the leak to build a case against people?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol

quote:

For decades, spouses — nearly always male and part of the global One Percent — have solicited Mossack Fonseca to help shield assets from soon-to-be exes, according to the files. And Mossack Fonseca has agreed with little hesitation.

In Thailand, the firm offered help when a husband asked in an email for a “silver bullet” in case his wife ever tried to strip him of his assets. In Ecuador, Mossack Fonseca employees proposed shell companies to “a customer who needs to acquire a Panamanian corporation to transfer assets before the divorce.” From Luxembourg, employees joked and sent emoticon winks when they agreed to help another husband, a Dutch man who wanted to “protect” assets “against the unpleasant results of a divorce (on the horizon!)”

Offshore service providers that knowingly place a husband’s assets beyond a wife’s reach can be sued, experts say.

“The closer in proximity to a divorce when these people take these kinds of steps, the more likely these assets will eventually be set aside for marital fraud,” said Sanford K. Ain, a Washington D.C.-based divorce attorney.

Ain worked on one case so complex he kept an intricate diagram of the husband’s bank accounts, companies and trusts on a notebook in his desk. “It looked like someone had thrown spaghetti on a page,” he recall. He said it cost $2 to $3 million to track all the assets down.

https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160403-divorce-offshore-intrigue.html

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have full confidence that nothing will happen to anyone involved, except the people who leaked and reported it.

The ABC in Australia has a report on TV tonight, so perhaps we'll hear some of the Australian connections then - the news here said Australian companies were involved. There's an election that's started...maybe some politicians were involved here?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Aliyev's family, Vladimir Vladimirovich himself (and friends), King Salman and a crown prince, a son of Kofi Annan, the UAE prez, Cameron's dad, Ayad Allawi, a princess de Borbon, the widow of Lansana Conté, Alaa Mubarak, the loving Makhlouf brothers and what looks like to be a big chunk of the Iceland cabinet.

Niiiiiice.

Also a guy whose description is: -once the richest member of Brazilian parliament-, lól.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Is it possible to design and regulate a system so that this can not take place again?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Could the FBI use information from the leak to build a case against people?

US companies and citizens yes.

RICO and FCPA are vicious loving laws that don't give a single gently caress who gets caught up in it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
why would King al Saud need to shelter assets?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Comstar posted:

I have full confidence that nothing will happen to anyone involved, except the people who leaked and reported it.

The ABC in Australia has a report on TV tonight, so perhaps we'll hear some of the Australian connections then - the news here said Australian companies were involved. There's an election that's started...maybe some politicians were involved here?

Yeah, that's sort of the problem with this. The people most heavily involved are also in the most corrupt countries where they'll be the least likely to be bothered by it.

There will be some fallout, obviously, but not as much as people are hoping for.

American media will be all over it once American names are involved. They generally don't give a poo poo about the rest of the world as long as there's meaningless political gossip to hyperventilate about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

why would King al Saud need to shelter assets?

What happens if the people come after you with a guillotine?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

From the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Papers

Map of countries with leaders implicated in the leak:

come on USA highlight HIGHLIGHT SO HARD

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean they havent dropped anything about people in the United states yet. That will be interesting.

They might not, considering this effort is partly funded by USAID.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

They might not, considering this effort is partly funded by USAID.

The previously leaked documents revealing the finer points of the Koch brothers and Disneys tax loophole schemes so I think you might be jumping the gun a tad

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

I think the politican's ending is randomised so that most of the time you lose, until a "spelling error" means you get away with everything lol.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

School Nickname posted:

I think the politican's ending is randomised so that most of the time you lose, until a "spelling error" means you get away with everything lol.

I kind of like how the politician option basically lets you simulate Hillary Clinton's Clinton Foundation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xae posted:

Is it possible to design and regulate a system so that this can not take place again?

Since you said regulate I assume you mean regarding funneling money around.

Short version: not until we have a World Government.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

kustomkarkommando posted:

The previously leaked documents revealing the finer points of the Koch brothers and Disneys tax loophole schemes so I think you might be jumping the gun a tad

I'm confident we'll see loads of dirt on private citizens and corporations and whatever, what I'm looking for/forward to is anything on public officials.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Come on, Hillary! At least give us Goldman Sachs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How long does it usually take the legs to gain real traction? A day or a week?

It feels like we've stumbled on an Illuminati conspiracy.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Skeptical that there is nothing on the map for North America.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grouchio posted:

How long does it usually take the legs to gain real traction? A day or a week?

It feels like we've stumbled on an Illuminati conspiracy.

Well the the joint teams announced a comprehensive list of the companies will be published in May.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Reason posted:

Mexico got kicked out of North America? Bummer :(

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

quote:

Jürgen Mossack is a German immigrant whose father sought a new life in Panama for his family after serving in Hitler’s Waffen-SS during World War II. Ramón Fonseca is an award-winning novelist who has worked in recent years as an adviser to Panama’s president.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reason posted:

Mexico is in North America. Regardless, I don't doubt that there's at least a few American senators/congresspersons with their fingers in this pie. I'd be surprised if there were any Canadian leaders within the past two decades tied to this more than tangentially. We're a rather penny-pinching bunch up here, and our leaders tend to live relatively austere (by the standards of public servants) lives while in office. Maybe Stephen Harper has a few hundred thousand dumped in some offshore somewhere.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Was this thread moved from somewhere to D&D?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

quote:

The Editor in Chief of Süddeutsche Zeitung responded to the lack of United States individuals in the documents, saying to "Just wait for what is coming next".

edit:

Reason posted:

At least 2 dozen rich Canadians have been implicated.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Perhaps this shall be a good week after all.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Wasn't it already public knowledge that David Cameron's dad used off shore bank accounts? A lot of sources say that Cameron's net worth is around £3.8 million, and his dad stashed around £2.7 million in off shore account. I'm assuming that a lot of the money went to Cameron's older siblings, but that for getting invovled with a shady company like that, it seems like an oddly low fortune? I'm sure there's less comically evil finance companies to go with?

Also, the pro-Putin angry commenters are out on the news sites already demanding to know how dare the media slander Putin :allears:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Jürgen Mossack is a German immigrant whose father sought a new life in Panama for his family after serving in Hitler’s Waffen-SS during World War II.

You couldn't make it up. Apparently he fled justice by offering to be a spy for the Americans on communists in post-war Europe. Before relocating to Panama to spy on Castro's 26th of July Movement in Cuba.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Well yeah. This wasn't your immediate thought when you saw it was a German guy from Latin America?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
What are the chances any of these outlets will actually release the raw data?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Marenghi posted:

You couldn't make it up. Apparently he fled justice by offering to be a spy for the Americans on communists in post-war Europe. Before relocating to Panama to spy on Castro's 26th of July Movement in Cuba.

It's like The Boys from Brazil meets The Big Short.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Redgrendel2001 posted:

edit:

At least 2 dozen rich Canadians have been implicated.

The map is only of leaders, it doesn't include rich citizens who've been implicated. Ireland isn't on that map but a company registered here and ran by an accountant previously implicated in facilitating bribes between construction companies and leading politicians in the 90's, has been implicated in facilitating the international trade of spy equipment, arms and military equipment between companies and nations by methods open to bribery.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 4, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xandu posted:

What are the chances any of these outlets will actually release the raw data?

For that matter, do we even know where the documents are coming from? It may be the case that they're being parceled out now to trusted outlets before the big Internet dump.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Julian Assange is going to use this as a chance to be annoying and attention seeking again, isn't he? Dude wishes he was as cool as Ed Snowden.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Vermain posted:

For that matter, do we even know where the documents are coming from? It may be the case that they're being parceled out now to trusted outlets before the big Internet dump.

I think they were anonymously leaked to the ICIJ, which then distributed them to various journalism outlets.

https://panamapapers.icij.org/pages/reporting_partners/

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
FYI: Dick Cheney represented Wyoming in Congress way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A lot of things are saying the data includes copies of passports of lots of people so I don't think they are going to dump that wholesale

• Locked thread