Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
After briefly browsing through this, my suspicion is that there's a lot of minor scandals (non-public figures dodging taxes) and probably not a lot of major scandals, at least when it comes to the US.

This upstanding dude was smart enough to use his real name.

quote:

Quincy man was charged today with engaging in a scheme to defraud persons seeking to invest in the foreign currency exchange (“forex”) market.

Marcellus Lopes Lee, 46, was charged in an indictment unsealed today with 16 counts of wire fraud and six counts of monetary transactions in property derived from specified unlawful activity.

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/271776
https://www.fbi.gov/boston/press-releases/2014/quincy-man-charged-in-3.4-million-forex-investment-scheme

As was the owner of three San Francisco newspapers

quote:

After buying the San Francisco Examiner from Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz in 2011, it completed an unprecedented trifecta, scooping up the city’s two politically disparate and long-feuding alt weeklies—the Bay Guardian and SF Weekly—and bringing them together under the Examiner’s roof at 225 Bush Street. The company is nominally headed by Todd Vogt, a brash, 44-year-old British Columbia native, and its shareholders include Canadian newspaperman David Black and an executive associated with the Vancouver-based Black Press.
https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/227704#embed-graph-code
http://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/unholy-union

This guy is a billionaire real estate mogul
https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/115636
http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2013/02/20/the-nakash-bros-small-clothes-shop-transformed-into-2-billion-empire/

This guy is a Morgan Stanley VP and registered financial advisor
https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/78606
https://www.brightscope.com/financial-planning/advisor/607210/Anatoliy-L-Gliberman/

edit: Another actual thief
https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/112449
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/mar/30/local/me-34199

Xandu fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Ooh, finally a good one.

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/169033
This is the trust of that obnoxious Instagrammer Dan Bilzerian

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Lotsa pharma/dietary supplements businesses, no surprise there. The dataset's so big excel can't handle the edgelist (the list of ties between entities/officers).

Hmmm... I wonder...Aw.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hope there's a full list of all the important criminals in this new release by the end of the week.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thing is, a lot of the companies will be tied to people like this guy, who are professional proxy directors.
https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=calderbank&e=&commit=Search

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Carmen San Diego suspiciously absent

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Lotsa pharma/dietary supplements businesses, no surprise there. The dataset's so big excel can't handle the edgelist (the list of ties between entities/officers).

Hmmm... I wonder...Aw.

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=wealthy+Draco&e=&commit=Search?

The list of these company name confirms my suspicions that the ultra rich are creatively bankrupt: WEALTHY FOREVOR LIMITED, WEALTHY FORTUNE INVESTMENTS, WEALTHY FLOURISH, EVER FORTUNE LIMITED, MASSIVE FORTUNE INVESTMENTS, IMMENSE FORTUNE LIMITED,SUPER POWER GROUP, ETERNAL POWER LTD

these are the names that I expect to find in B-spy movies

EVIL THE CAT INC. :stare:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

A good 10-20% of the US names I've googled are MDs. Like far more common than finance people for whatever reason. Probably not smart enough to cover their tracks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

A good 10-20% of the US names I've googled are MDs. Like far more common than finance people for whatever reason. Probably not smart enough to cover their tracks.

"I survived med school, of course I can handle my own finances."

withak fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 10, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xandu posted:

There may be a large-scale pharma scam of some kind going on. Are there any common ties?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

There may be a large-scale pharma scam of some kind going on. Are there any common ties?

Nah, I mean there's definitely scams (see) and I've found a few health gurus/quacks as well, but the majority of these accounts seem to just be family trusts.

Lots of Chinese names as well, but I didn't look at that angle. The only accounts I could find with lots of names tied to them were for foreign government officials like the Saudis, but that was pretty covered by the media. The real challenge with trying to dig into this is that you can't tell what's in the accounts, just that they've been registered to somebody, which doesn't reveal a whole lot.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 10, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
haha just found my boss on the site.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

V for Vegas posted:

haha just found my boss on the site.

Somebody's up for a promotion!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Oh wow I bet if you've been hiding poo poo from the Chinese you are good and proper hosed

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Oh wow I bet if you've been hiding poo poo from the Chinese you are good and proper hosed

The Chinese government's response to stuff like this might have something to do with all the rich Chinese suddenly finding reasons to purchase property overseas.

fnox
May 19, 2013

There's a LOT of Venezuelans connected with China in the leaks, and going by the sheer number of contracts that the Venezuelan government has signed with China for exorbitant amounts, I'd bet that those accounts are the most likely to hold illicit funds.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Brannock posted:

The Chinese government's response to stuff like this might have something to do with all the rich Chinese suddenly finding reasons to purchase property overseas.
There are many property bubbles propped up by wealthy Chinese setting up a place to run to when poo poo hits the fan. It would be nice for them to actually live in the properties and spend money in the community, and new oligarchs can arise in China.

I'm guessing Angry Lady Sauce lady stays in China.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone make an app that feeds your Facebook contact list through this website and automatically posts the results.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I was hoping to find Anheuser-Busch/Inbev but this was the closest that I could find.

Oh well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CannonFodder posted:

There are many property bubbles propped up by wealthy Chinese setting up a place to run to when poo poo hits the fan. It would be nice for them to actually live in the properties and spend money in the community, and new oligarchs can arise in China.

I'm guessing Angry Lady Sauce lady stays in China.

I'm one of the people who has those people reported to the PBC (and US authorities) for circumventing currency controls to wire money out of China via places like HK or Macau or just using shell import/export companies ("car brokers" are a huge one because the actual demand for gray market vehicles over there makes it really easy to provide cover by actually including a few containers full of land rovers and poo poo as a veneer) to apply for their special economic status that allows for movement in excess of $50k per annum.

Visa fraud is another beast but people are basically using their neighbors'/distant relatives' kids as money mules to move gobs of money into the us as "support." Motherfucking nobody pays $300k a semester in tuition and living expenses at loving UCSB or Minnesota.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

crowoutofcontext posted:

The list of these company name confirms my suspicions that the ultra rich are creatively bankrupt: WEALTHY FOREVOR LIMITED, WEALTHY FORTUNE INVESTMENTS, WEALTHY FLOURISH, EVER FORTUNE LIMITED, MASSIVE FORTUNE INVESTMENTS, IMMENSE FORTUNE LIMITED,SUPER POWER GROUP, ETERNAL POWER LTD

These are what you name your company when you've fully accepted the fact that you're the bad guy in life's story, and no longer give a poo poo. :moreevil:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

well there goes that theory

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

well there goes that theory

it would be under Leonard J Crabbs

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

crowoutofcontext posted:

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=wealthy+Draco&e=&commit=Search?

A few more that aren't so secret any more:

SECRET LAND INVESTMENT LIMITED
SMART SECRET LIMITED
WINNER SECRET GROUP LTD
Covert Partners Limited
Private Spy International Ltd

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

I Am Crake posted:

Media attention has disappeared completely, and I thought they said they'd be releasing data day by day which hasn't happened at all. If this is a slow burn I think they messed up their pacing.

Fwiw this issue has picked up a fair bit and in diffused mediums/about different aspects of it in New Zealand, with some implication of our Prime Minister as his lawyer did business with Mossack.

Its bad enough now that establishment figures are having to actively tar opposition figures with it. For example, they found one businessman who had donated money to the Green Party, thats now a news article story in its own right because you know shadowy green conspiracy

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Keep in mind a lot of companies are set up en masse by proxy agents who then sell them to foreign investors as off the shelf shell companies, so you get loads of generic names that have nothing to do with what the company does. A lot of this is happening in the UK as current regulations are poorly enforced, as the people enforcing them are trying to avoid complex cases that tie up time and resources and have less chance of succeeding, and the people setting up these companies know it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Brown Moses posted:

Keep in mind a lot of companies are set up en masse by proxy agents who then sell them to foreign investors as off the shelf shell companies, so you get loads of generic names that have nothing to do with what the company does. A lot of this is happening in the UK as current regulations are poorly enforced, as the people enforcing them are trying to avoid complex cases that tie up time and resources and have less chance of succeeding, and the people setting up these companies know it.

I get the feeling whoever registered WINNER SECRET GROUP LTD was doing it from a place of love. And greed. :v:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

For me the most alarming fact about this situation is either the mass amount of ignorance to what this level of tax evasion means and how little people actually care.

I have friends who work in the financial industry who just shrug this off saying "well technically its not illegal" and they don't see the implication of rich people not paying taxes.

Yes I know rich people have been playing a different game forever, but now we have MASSIVE evidence that there are two different sets of rules for people and no one gives a poo poo.

I feel as if I am having a mental breakdown

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think the rallying cry you're looking for is 'eat the rich.'

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Goffer posted:

A few more that aren't so secret any more:

SECRET LAND INVESTMENT LIMITED
SMART SECRET LIMITED
WINNER SECRET GROUP LTD
Covert Partners Limited
Private Spy International Ltd
Where do I send my resume to be the next James Bond?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

You probably don't need to run around your friends telling them to start freaking out about this. It's not a good strategy.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

For me the most alarming fact about this situation is either the mass amount of ignorance to what this level of tax evasion means and how little people actually care.

I have friends who work in the financial industry who just shrug this off saying "well technically its not illegal" and they don't see the implication of rich people not paying taxes.

Yes I know rich people have been playing a different game forever, but now we have MASSIVE evidence that there are two different sets of rules for people and no one gives a poo poo.

Its too abstract for people to have visceral anger. People don't seem to conceptualize tax money as their money. They don"t feel it being taken away from them. It's like if you build a park in a neighborhood and than some rich guy buys it out to build a private condo people will get mad, but if the rich guy built a private condo in the space before the hypothetical park was even conceived your not going to get neighborhood outrage.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

You probably don't need to run around your friends telling them to start freaking out about this. It's not a good strategy.

What is the good strategy?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

What is the good strategy?

Stop yelling at clouds dude.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Emma Watson, of all people, was found in the database

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/emma-watson-named-in-panama-papers-database-a7023126.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Mormon Church appears to maybe hold a few for-profit companies

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I'm willing to believe that the reason given is true. Someone in her position actually does need to protect their privacy, not just because of press intrusion, but because for most of her life there have been very unsettling people obsessing over her.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm willing to believe that the reason given is true. Someone in her position actually does need to protect their privacy, not just because of press intrusion, but because for most of her life there have been very unsettling people obsessing over her.

So do it via a domestic proxy like a lawyer? There's not a ton of value to registering an offshore company other than keeping secrets from tax authorities.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It was probably used to buy property, though that tends to involve some tax avoidance in addition to confidentiality.

edit: I wonder if there's some database one could query now that these shareholders have been deanonymized to see if these holding companies have been used for anything.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah Emma Watson of all people is probably one of a select handful to need obscene levels of banking secrecy for her own safety. Maybe less now than before since the HP series is done, but man, people are gross as gently caress and places like reddit allow them to hook up with people who know how to really intrude into a person's life at a pretty unsettling scale.

• Locked thread