Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I predict that the internet flips the gently caress out about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

withak posted:

I predict that the internet flips the gently caress out about this.

:reddit: "How dare my Hermione keep secrets from me"

You're drat right she'd need a shell company to do poo poo like buy a house to live in.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
It's one thing to need a little extra privacy, but give me a break, she could've done it without evading taxes.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

FAUXTON posted:

You're drat right she'd need a shell company to do poo poo like buy a house to live in.

Can't you do that with a Trust though?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Fister posted:

Probably, but most people didn't grow up with mentally ill creepers counting down the days until you turn 18.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone got any Harry Potter puns for this yet?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FAUXTON posted:

The structure of the entity looks more like it's for tax evasion.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Anyone got any Harry Potter puns for this yet?

Obscuro Dinero!

*taxable income disappears*

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Mister Fister posted:

From the article:

“UK companies are required to publicly publish details of their shareholders and therefore do not give her the necessary anonymity required to protect her personal safety, which has been jeopardised in the past owing to such information being publicly available.

“Offshore companies do not publish these shareholder details. Emma receives absolutely no tax or monetary advantages from this offshore company whatsoever – only privacy.”

It's a bit poo poo that it's all out the window again for her.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Bastard Tetris posted:

Obscuro Dinero!

:golfclap:

I wonder what the number of attempted intrusions at the other top outsourcing firms look like nowadays compared to before the PP leaks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So she's a Slytherin then?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Discendo Vox posted:

The structure of the entity looks more like it's for tax evasion.

I don't know how to read these diagrams: what about that structure indicates that it's for tax evasion?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Subjunctive posted:

I don't know how to read these diagrams: what about that structure indicates that it's for tax evasion?

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these things, but the trust is named in an obfuscatory way and the only other officer is an entity, Bedel Trusts Limited, that was apparently created only to set up the trust. Bedel is set in Jersey, the trust is set up in the virgin islands. Both are tax havens. At a minimum, it's avoidance. Both Bedel and Falling Leaves were probably set up in advance and sold to Watson as a way to keep her income invisible and minimally taxed offshore.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 11, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I doubt Hogwart's receives much public funding, so it's understandable she might have a bit skewed view on the usefulness of taxes.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Wheany posted:

I doubt Hogwart's receives much public funding, so it's understandable she might have a bit skewed view on the usefulness of taxes.

Hogwarts is run off of untold depths and hoards of goblin-run wizard-nazi gold.

E: Where's your avatar from btw?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Strangely enough, J K Rowling was rather proud that she never squirreled away her funds and paid her taxes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Armani posted:

E: Where's your avatar from btw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwxIGe1oOJQ

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these things, but the trust is named in an obfuscatory way and the only other officer is an entity, Bedel Trusts Limited, that was apparently created only to set up the trust. Bedel is set in Jersey, the trust is set up in the virgin islands. Both are tax havens. At a minimum, it's avoidance. Both Bedel and Falling Leaves were probably set up in advance and sold to Watson as a way to keep her income invisible and minimally taxed offshore.

Thanks, that's cool. So if it weren't for avoidance, it would have another real officer, and probably be set up in a "good" jurisdiction?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Basically everyone is going to issue a press release emphasizing that there are legitimate uses for offshore holdings and that there was no wrongdoing on the part of their client, expect it to be the default and don't listen to any of them

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks, that's cool. So if it weren't for avoidance, it would have another real officer, and probably be set up in a "good" jurisdiction?

That's my not very educated take, yes. If it were for privacy purposes it might still have a meaningless name, though.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

WarpedNaba posted:

Strangely enough, J K Rowling was rather proud that she never squirreled away her funds and paid her taxes.

it isnt so strange when you look at her history of being on the dole
i know from experience that can help a person understand the value of taxes

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

It's unfortunate so many people in the US have similar awareness - hands off my medicare and the like. Sure, that's probably largely an effect of "rugged individualist" marketing which downplays or even omits the fact that someone is receiving publicly funded benefits.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Yeah, same. I'll take the usual deductions for retirement accounts and spousal support and charities, but I'd never play jurisdictional games to get out of my financial commitments to my country. Social and public services saved my family when I was young, and that's hard to forget.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Goffer posted:

From the article:

“UK companies are required to publicly publish details of their shareholders and therefore do not give her the necessary anonymity required to protect her personal safety, which has been jeopardised in the past owing to such information being publicly available.

“Offshore companies do not publish these shareholder details. Emma receives absolutely no tax or monetary advantages from this offshore company whatsoever – only privacy.”

It's a bit poo poo that it's all out the window again for her.

Unless I'm missing something about UK public disclosure she could have just as easily bought some shack on the Scottish countryside and registered that as her domicile. You do not need a literal tax heaven shell company to obfuscate your actual place of residency from public record if you have money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, you want to obfuscate who is participating In a financial transaction, so that when she bids on a house the seller doesn't know they're dealing with someone ultra-rich. Also so that ownership of a random property can't be tracked back to her through corporate records.

(You see companies do this sometimes too, where they believe that the identity of one party would influence the other party. I've been part of two deals that were blinded that way.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

No, you want to obfuscate who is participating In a financial transaction, so that when she bids on a house the seller doesn't know they're dealing with someone ultra-rich. Also so that ownership of a random property can't be tracked back to her through corporate records.

(You see companies do this sometimes too, where they believe that the identity of one party would influence the other party. I've been part of two deals that were blinded that way.)

You still don't have to wind up in Jersey by way of the Virgin Islands.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Couldn't you just as easily use an intermediary if that's all? And last I checked private company assets aren't public record in the EU.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Oh, no, I understand her circumstances. I'm more bemused that she didn't become a sociopath the moment she was eligible for Capital Gains Tax, which seems to be the trend.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh, no, I understand her circumstances. I'm more bemused that she didn't become a sociopath the moment she was eligible for Capital Gains Tax, which seems to be the trend.

When something has saved you and your children from death you tend to be quite fond of it. The people that go full rich lord when they strike it famous are from middle class backgrounds who never really had to struggle for anything. Maybe they didn't have a holiday one year and that's the biggest amount of trauma from their childhood.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I know someone mildly famous who had to get a shell corporation set up in another country because otherwise when they use a credit card online they sometimes mysteriously have their info get around and would get mail and phone calls. Once they started using a card which had nothing with their name on it anywhere no matter how much you dug that all stopped.

That's my anecdote. Doesn't mean people are not doing shady poo poo with shell companies though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not saying otherwise.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Well there was this one time, when we got really really drunk.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Space Skeleton posted:

I know someone mildly famous who had to get a shell corporation set up in another country because otherwise when they use a credit card online they sometimes mysteriously have their info get around and would get mail and phone calls. Once they started using a card which had nothing with their name on it anywhere no matter how much you dug that all stopped.

That's my anecdote. Doesn't mean people are not doing shady poo poo with shell companies though.

Did they get their credit card from https://www.freecreditcardsnow.com

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

No they originally had one with their manager's name and that got back to them after using it online for a bit. Then they did one with a company name for an agency they didn't officially work for and that still got back to them. Finally they got in touch with a lawyer who does that kind of thing and set up a whole corporate entity using an existing company ready to use for this and it has not happened again for a couple years. There are paparazzi and weirdos who will sift through shittons of documents to find celebrities and it's kind of scary.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Bastard Tetris posted:

Obscuro Dinero!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of SECRET LAND INVESTMENT LIMITED

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Trust

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bastard Tetris posted:

Obscuro Dinero!

Murderion posted:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of SECRET LAND INVESTMENT LIMITED

FAUXTON posted:

Looks like large-scale tax evasion has produced something of value after all :toot:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Literally the state of Harry Potters inheritance in the story.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Xoidanor posted:

Literally the state of Harry Potters inheritance in the story.

Potter for Tory Leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

blowfish posted:

Potter for Tory Leader.

Goes to boarding school, engages in weird rituals and initiations, lives in a world that behaves entirerly without the knowledge or consent of the wider population

checks out

• Locked thread