Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This sort of thing just seems so depressing and pointlessly cruel. Addicts need treatment, not punishment. The only thing separating me from people like those in that article is the fact that I have a supportive family and stable income stream with which to maintain my addiction* (which is arguably a bad thing, since it indefinitely prevents me from hitting the "rock bottom" that is usually necessary for addicts to quit). When I think of how physically and emotionally devastating my addiction is and how much worse it must be for poorer addicts like those in the article, it just seems insane to make their lives even shittier.

*Adding further to this, the opioid I use is actually more expensive than, for example, heroin, but it's also legal. So I'm basically able to legally maintain my addiction due to having a stable income stream. Poorer addicts have no choice but to break the law to maintain their addictions.

edit: As a side note, the idea of being arrested and going into withdrawal while in jail (where you have no medical aid or support) is probably one of the most terrible things I can imagine, yet it routinely happens.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread