Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should sit on the Iron Throne
Cersei Lannister/Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish
Jamie Lannister/Bronn
Jon Snow (bitch you know he ain’t dead)/Ser Davos Seaworth, “the Onion Knight”
Brienne of Tarth/Podrick Payne
Tyrion/Varys/Missandei/Grey Worm coalition
Arya Stark/No One
Sansa Stark/Theon “Reek” Greyjoy
Reanimated corpse of The Mountain/Wight that used to be Badass Wildling Milf
View Results

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Two Finger posted:

great so i've got two years left to see how this poo poo is gonna pan out

Still not going to see the actual Winds of Winter book out by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is that supposed to be the last book? Or will it just end up being the last one when GRRM dies and Kevin Anderson swoops in to ruin finish it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

apparently martin wanted to play one of the casualties in the red wedding but his busy schedule wouldn't allow it :lol:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Godholio posted:

Is that supposed to be the last book? Or will it just end up being the last one when GRRM dies and Kevin Anderson swoops in to ruin finish it?

I read somewhere he's planning on seven books, so there would be one more after WoW but lol at seeing GRRM finish either.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Two Finger posted:

apparently martin wanted to play one of the casualties in the red wedding but his busy schedule wouldn't allow it :lol:

Not writing books is hard work

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bolow posted:

Not writing books is hard work

You have to go to so many conventions and Red Lobsters

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In previous coronations it's usually handled by the High Sept and at Septa Baleor right? I was just thinking how Cersei's coronation reminds me of something that would be carried out in Raven Rock or some COG bunker after World War 3. I doubt it was intentional but it gives the proceedings a whole extra air of illegitimacy.*

*Although the real life examples (well for the later cold war at least) would have been legitimate it's more the deviation from the norm and the bunker like feeling to the coronation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, HBO just confirmed Jon Snow's parentage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So I was thinking this morning, and I'm pretty sure Benjen isn't working in the best interests of the living. I base this entirely off of his closing remark to Bran and Meera. The only other times I recall anyone telling another in GoT "I wish you good fortune" was Mance Rayder saying it to Stannis and Dayne saying it to Ned Stark. It doesn't seem like a thing you tell friends. Bran is going to cross the wall and break the wards on it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Where did "Marked = Breaks the wall!" come from?

Is Bran "marked" in the books too?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Victor Vermis posted:

Where did "Marked = Breaks the wall!" come from?

Is Bran "marked" in the books too?

The night king marked bran and destroyed the barrier that protected the cave under the weirwood. He isn't marked by the night King in the books because GRRM is never going to finish the books and they haven't got there yet plot wise. It's coming eventually because Hodor was GRRMs plan from the get go.

Since it broke the ward under the tree there's a possibility that it will break the wards on the wall too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

umm excuse me let's not forget the horn that can supposedly collapse the wall

It seemed like Sam found it with the dragon glass but they never confirmed. Also they were prob just paying homage to it

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The night king marked bran and destroyed the barrier that protected the cave under the weirwood.

- night king touches bran's face in tree-dream
- tree-grampa says "now they know where you are!"
- walkers and undead invade tree cave

Other than skeletons crumpling within x feet of cave entrance before that, and then crawling through the roof after that, the show really hasn't explained/demonstrated any of this theory.

And it's a stupid loving show, so it would deffo hit you over the head with these details if the wall were going to crumble because of X thing happening.

On the other hand, Cersei 9/11'ing the church out of nowhere was lazy as gently caress storytelling too.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

umm excuse me let's not forget the horn that can supposedly collapse the wall

It seemed like Sam found it with the dragon glass but they never confirmed. Also they were prob just paying homage to it

Also entirely book stuff, but if there was a horn it's probably the one possessed by Euron's brother. Whatever horn Mance found was just a lovely old horn (or he never found one.. I forget.)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

And it's a stupid loving show,

gently caress off film nerd

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

gently caress off film nerd

Mr. gently caress I am surprised and disappointed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

On the other hand, Cersei 9/11'ing the church out of nowhere was lazy as gently caress storytelling too.

Eh I'll give this a pass because aside from being book stuff (right? The wildfire stashes?) doesn't it directly tie into why Jamie killed the mad King and why Cersei is going all cray too and probably going to blow up kings landing and how Jamie's probably gonna kill her

When reading your post for a second there I thought it was the GBS got thread

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Victor Vermis posted:

- night king touches bran's face in tree-dream
- tree-grampa says "now they know where you are!"
- walkers and undead invade tree cave

Other than skeletons crumpling within x feet of cave entrance before that, and then crawling through the roof after that, the show really hasn't explained/demonstrated any of this theory.

And it's a stupid loving show, so it would deffo hit you over the head with these details if the wall were going to crumble because of X thing happening.

Also entirely book stuff, but if there was a horn it's probably the one possessed by Euron's brother. Whatever horn Mance found was just a lovely old horn (or he never found one.. I forget.)

The skeletons can't enter the tree when they first get there and they say there's a magic barrier. They also talk about the barrier being destroyed in the post show discussion.

Edit: They also talk about the barrier being broken in the after the episode following The Door.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 30, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How the gently caress was that "out of nowhere?" It's been hinted at in the show and widely discussed for weeks.

And really, OKC was a better reference than 9/11.

Edit: Are you really upset that a show built on suspense doesn't come right out and tell you exactly what to expect in advance of events taking place?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I just want y'all to know I'm trying my hardest to not shitpost the 'I don't like thing' meme.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/Benggadora08/status/747248032064765952

she nominates their new king HOW THE gently caress IS THAT BREAKING DOWN PATRIARCHY IT'S THE DEFINITION OF IT

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

cause Jon's hair looks kinda girly

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Sorry I picked on your show, guys. I've been having a lot of real life issues lately and seem to be channeling my anxieties and fears into angry, sassy posting.

Oh wait no this is Victor Vermis not N4i.

jesus christ what happened to this place.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Moker and gleep left.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And I'm not upset with you. You just tickled my autism.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Victor Vermis posted:

Sorry I picked on your show, guys. I've been having a lot of real life issues lately and seem to be channeling my anxieties and fears into angry, sassy posting.

You seem to have misread our concern that maybe you suffered a stroke as being angry about a tv show.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

We already know that Cersei is going to be killed by her younger brother, we just don't know which one.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Also GRRM loves to use British history as a guide through his own lore. Cersei's destruction of the Sept of Baelor is essentially a successful mirror of the Gunpowder Treason Plot.

Scotland was eventually united with England through the union of the crowns when the King of Scotland married Henry VII's daughter, so this probably means that Dany will marry Jon Snow to solve the question of northern secession.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Victor Vermis posted:

nice meltdown

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My GF hates this show and makes a lot of similar points as VV, but he's leaving out her strongest one

"Kit Harrington and the dragon lady both look and sound retarded"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

fight me irl bitch!

btw i tried to tear my shirt in half while i typed this but i just stretched the neckhole out a bunch :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

My GF hates this show and makes a lot of similar points as VV, but he's leaving out her strongest one

It's pronounced "English." They look and sound English.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Godholio posted:

It's pronounced "English." They look and sound English.

:vince:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
With the prospect of Boris Johnson being the next PM in the wake of the UK loving off, there's a very real chance that "Everything sounds smarter in an American accent" will be a thing...but at least we still have Trump to save us from that dystopian future.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

^ lol I love in arrested development when he falls in love with the retarded girl and never noticed until well after because she has a British accent

Sergg posted:

We already know that Cersei is going to be killed by her younger brother, we just don't know which one.

I'm guessing since everyone assumes it'll be Jamie it won't be

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm guessing since everyone assumes it'll be Jamie it won't be

GRRM and the writers of the show love to do mirrored character arc scenes. Tyrion already strangled Shae. Cersei is supposed to die by choking so I'm guessing Jaime chokes her in a scene that mirrors Shae's death then he sits on the iron throne, waiting for Dothraki bloodriders to break down the door.

I dunno why but GRRM spells it the Mexican way of "Jaime" but every time I see that name in print my brain pronounces it Spanish similar to "Hymie" like the anti-semitic slur.

Booblord Zagats posted:

She's not wrong. The Lannisters stole this show and put them all to shame. That and Littlefinger and old Lady Tyrell. Hell, Littlefinger is basically the sole driving force behind 90% of the civil war that's been going on. He's arguably far more dangerous than any of the Lannisters.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

With the prospect of Boris Johnson being the next PM in the wake of the UK loving off, there's a very real chance that "Everything sounds smarter in an American accent" will be a thing...but at least we still have Trump to save us from that dystopian future.

Oh and BTW, Boris won't be the next PM. He's already ruled himself out. The options actually get worse from there because you have the UK equivalents of Ted Cruz and Michelle Bachmann and such next in line.

EDIT: LOL word filter hahahahahaha

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sergg posted:

She's not wrong. The Lannisters stole this show and put them all to shame. That and Littlefinger and old Lady Tyrell. Hell, Littlefinger is basically the sole driving force behind 90% of the civil war that's been going on. He's arguably far more dangerous than any of the Lannisters.

Especially since he can probably pay his army. The Lannisters are in about as much debt as the entirety of America's college student body. And unlikely to find new sources of revenue since they probably haven't started repaying the Iron Bank, and there's nobody left in Westeros with the money to help them (except Littlefinger).

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Two Finger posted:

https://twitter.com/Benggadora08/status/747248032064765952

she nominates their new king HOW THE gently caress IS THAT BREAKING DOWN PATRIARCHY IT'S THE DEFINITION OF IT

Uh it's easy, because Jon Snow is prettier than both of Tormund's daughters.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Godholio posted:

Especially since he can probably pay his army. The Lannisters are in about as much debt as the entirety of America's college student body. And unlikely to find new sources of revenue since they probably haven't started repaying the Iron Bank, and there's nobody left in Westeros with the money to help them (except Littlefinger).

I thought the Lannisters were hosed because their gold mines had dried up like years ago at this point and that combined with the Iron Bank giving them a giant middle finger is why the Tyrells were bankrolling the crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They actually maxxed out what the Iron Bank was willing to loan. Actually this was all Robert's fault, he was the one spending money like it was free. The Lannisters also loaned a huge amount to the crown while he was on the throne, but after those opportunities were dried up and the Lannisters found themselves unable to pay for everything, that's when the Tyrells got involved.

As I recall most of this was a revelation to Ned Stark when he took over as Hand, except for the Lannisters' mines running dry. That came up when Tywin was Hand, and iirc he said it happened 2 years prior.

• Locked thread