Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Skeletons are a case of quantity having a quality all unto itself . A smart necromancer focuses on how to make an overwhelming force of them, maybe throwing a few cohorts of ghouls in for variety, so they can raze and destroy entire settlements to grow the brand. Or maybe getting a dragon or giant skeleton to focus on trickier rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Fighting golems is really boring. I hate those things, big slow but take forever to kill. They're really dumb to boot. They really bring me down man, the world would be a better place without them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's true, it is unwise to underestimate Skeletons. What they lack in oomph they make up for in resilience and numbers. You don't want to be set upon by a horde of harassing Harryhausens.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If someone animates a dead giant spider, is it an (exo)skeleton or a golem? I need to know, like, 5 minutes ago.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Skeletons come in a variety of types. From the kind that crumble and don't reconstruct to the ones that do reconstruct and you have to literally smash the fuckers or destroy the necromancer to get rid of them.

WHen you destroy a golem it stays down. Skeletons can get back up, also they have sentience unlike golems. Golems are just basically drones, skeletons can cackle, laugh, cry, think, and have societies.

You see things like skeleton jesters. Always crackin a few bone puns to rib ya with.

You don't see things like golem jesters.

A bone golem would just be a golem made out of bones.

A bone construct would be like a bunch of skeletons put together working in union like legion to gently caress with you.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Colonel Cancer posted:

If someone animates a dead giant spider, is it an (exo)skeleton or a golem? I need to know, like, 5 minutes ago.

It would be a zombie

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Companion Cube posted:

It would be a zombie

it could be a ghoul if you give it sentience.

either a ghoul ghast or zombie though most likely.

if you just took the bones / reminants and not the meat then it would be a skeleton.

We should talk about skin men some day.

That's reanimated skin. Where they just take the skin of the person and animate it. Real nasty, its like a 2D thing that can slide under doors.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

FlimFlam Imam posted:

Fighting golems is really boring. I hate those things, big slow but take forever to kill. They're really dumb to boot. They really bring me down man, the world would be a better place without them.

at least they don't level drain you like wights though

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
A golem can only be made out of clay, that's how you define a golem.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
realtalk an animated skeleton is just made of ONE skeleton and it can only operate in its usual configuration you know, maybe missing a few bones here and there but basically it's a SKELETON.

A bone golem can be in any shape or whatever, it's a golem you make out of bone, so the sky is the limit if you want to stick skulls on it for armor or whatever doesn't matter it doesn't HAVE to be just ONE skeleton

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Paramemetic posted:

realtalk an animated skeleton is just made of ONE skeleton and it can only operate in its usual configuration you know, maybe missing a few bones here and there but basically it's a SKELETON.

A bone golem can be in any shape or whatever, it's a golem you make out of bone, so the sky is the limit if you want to stick skulls on it for armor or whatever doesn't matter it doesn't HAVE to be just ONE skeleton

You clearly haven't seen Gravelord Nito.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

notZaar posted:

A golem can only be made out of clay, that's how you define a golem.

Ok, DAD :rolleye:

Paramemetic posted:

I'm making a bone golem entirely out of skulls and when adventurers enter my dungeon I'll tell them about all the head they'll be getting.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Microwaves Mom posted:

well he's like a god or something so none of the rules apply

fly away, nerd :rolleye:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Microwaves Mom posted:

He's not an animated skeleton he's a gravelord who dresses in skeletons yo come on now

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
if you're gonna debate me about this i'm gonna need you to TONE IT DOWN and be more honest okay like it's just disingenuous to try to claim Nito is an animated skeleton

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Paramemetic posted:

He's not an animated skeleton he's a gravelord who dresses in skeletons yo come on now

what about zombone or whatever from chrono trigger? Who wasl ike a bunch of skeletons that fly together andf orm ag iant skeleton.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nito has a will of his own, he's not a reanimated skeleton or a golem.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nito has a will of his own, he's not a reanimated skeleton or a golem.

Some skeletons are aniamted of their own accord.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

A common apprentice misconception.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

satanic splash-back posted:

A common apprentice misconception.

Explain liches.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

How do skeletons cackle, make humerus puns and cry without lungs? It would pretty much have to be a zombie to make any noises aside from clack clack.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

skeletons you mostly have to put back together the right way whereas bone golems just have to be made out of bones, it can be a two headed goat made out of fish spines if thats what the situation calls for and its still acceptable under golem law

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Microwaves Mom posted:

Explain liches.

Not skeletons. Stop lumping hardworking skeletons and zombies with those perverts. Animating a skeleton doesn't require an "unspeakably evil ritual".

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Not skeletons. Stop lumping hardworking skeletons and zombies with those perverts. Animating a skeleton doesn't require an "unspeakably evil ritual".

its a slippery slope. if they ban liches theyll come for our zombies and skeletons next

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Microwaves Mom posted:

That's a bone creature, and it's an entirely different topic! This thread is for magical constructs and undead creatures enslaved to the will of their creators, please stay on topic.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Nito is a manga/anime monster, totally different rules.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

skeletons you mostly have to put back together the right way whereas bone golems just have to be made out of bones, it can be a two headed goat made out of fish spines if thats what the situation calls for and its still acceptable under golem law

Are you still appropriating Jewish culture if you make a golem out of things other than clay? I'm a gentile wizard interested in researching golem crafting and I don't want to offend anyone. Should it be deemed unacceptable, I'm perfectly comfortable with slaughtering a few villages to animate as skeletons

Also where do you shove the command sheet?

Colonel Cancer fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 5, 2016

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Colonel Cancer posted:

How do skeletons cackle, make humerus puns and cry without lungs? It would pretty much have to be a zombie to make any noises aside from clack clack.

probably magic

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Golems are just elementals born in to slavery at the hands of a conjurer

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Booblord Zagats posted:

Golems are just elementals born in to slavery at the hands of a conjurer

And this is why golems have 1% chance of going berserk and trying to kill their master when they do anything.

Him maybe Hitler was an expertly crafted flesh golem?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Are you still appropriating Jewish culture if you make a golem out of things other than clay? I'm a gentile wizard interested in researching golem crafting and I don't want to offend anyone. Should it be deemed unacceptable, I'm perfectly comfortable with slaughtering a few villages to animate as skeletons

Also where do you shove the command sheet?

RESPECTIVELY:

1) As long as you don't make a claim to Jewish heritage during the Golem process, it's cool to make a Golem out of anything! Just don't, like, act like you need to write the commands in Hebrew (even Aramaic is sketchy) or wear a Yarmulke during the ritual and no one reasonable will give you any poo poo.

2) Up a nose hole or in a hollowed-out marrowzone.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Colonel Cancer posted:

And this is why golems have 1% chance of going berserk and trying to kill their master when they do anything.

Him maybe Hitler was an expertly crafted flesh golem?

I thought the chance was a variable based on conjuring skill and reagents used

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Anecdotal here but I've never heard of a golem going berserk unless the conjurer did something stupid like try to give it sentience to carry out more complex tasks

Look I know it's a pain to spell out (heh) every step in a process or cast elaborate nested if then procedures but as long as you don't dabble with sentience it will never go wrong

And it's not even that big a deal anymore I mean you don't even need to write your own scripts now unless it's for something unique

There are tons of scripts for golems, animated dead, etc on hex repositories that are open sorcery these days

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Those hex repositories are killing the jobs of hardworking necromancers. Back in the day, you HAD to seek out ancient grimoires of forbidden knowledge, start small with roaches and frogs, move on to animating housepets and stray children before creating your first true skeleton. A real work ethic!

Now some youngster can just hop on Aethernet and conjure things willy nilly without understanding what the hell they're doing. Sourcerer-kiddies, bleh. I weep for the future of the esteemed arcane profession with the new generation of sorcerers and even worse, bards.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Are bone golems or skeleton warriors acceptable under Islam? Asking for a friend (not ISIS)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If y'all like golems so much why don't you marry one!!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

In my home country, golems are still considered inanimate objects despite their sentience and will.

Coincidentally, my tower is a sovereign entity.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Look I'm not disagreeing with you, it's important you know what you're doing and I believe if you can't cast it yourself you shouldn't be using it even if you can get it on a general public lichense. But with clients having higher and higher expectations using open sorcery products to fill development gaps lets necromancers focus on innovation and integration rather than reinventing the lesser banishing or so on

Used to be clients just needed a few thousand animated skeletons to stand around, lumber towards anything that moves, and swing a sword. These days that's just the outside perimeter. Inside they want spikes in the floor, fireballs that go off on proximity, golems that can differentiate life from unlife

So yeah I mean if you can't raise a cadaver to make you coffee in the morning you shouldn't be loving around with crypthub projects but there's not enough time in the night to go rewriting your basic skeletal minion when clients are all asking for shambling mounds and loving beholders like summoning an eldritch horror is something you do before lunch.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

Oh that won't end well http://www.amazon.com/The-Golem-Jinni-Novel-P-S/dp/0062110845

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

satanic splash-back posted:

In my home country, golems are still considered inanimate objects despite their sentience and will.

Golems have neither of these. Where did you learn magic from, bard school?

• Locked thread