Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Inzombiac posted:

I swear I'm getting worse at this game. I usually can't get past floor 4.

Then again, I use the starting gun for most everything outside of bosses.
Does the game drop ammo more frequently if you run low?

Ammo shouldn't be too much of an issue especially if you have a few points of curse. Should also try and do the secret floors and force guns on however many floors you want by not opening chests before killing the boss, which will guarantee that the boss drops a gun and then you have a chance for another one from a chest. Also use your more ammo efficient guns for clearing and heavy hitters for bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Your default weapon should only be used in the first level. Maybe a bit in the second is you've been unlucky. Ammo drops aren't more likely if you're low, but they've been tweaked a few times since the game was released.

You should try to save your boss gun for bosses but past the first floor there's no reason to be using the poo poo pistol instead of any of your other guns.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Something REALLY clicked with me and this game. I beat the dragon a third time. I've never been this successful like this with Isaac or Dead Cells.

What should I be working for long term at this point? I'm still trying to build a special bullet. I turned in the lead and whatever comes out of the dragon skull. Should I focus on building this thing?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Wildtortilla posted:

Something REALLY clicked with me and this game. I beat the dragon a third time. I've never been this successful like this with Isaac or Dead Cells.

What should I be working for long term at this point? I'm still trying to build a special bullet. I turned in the lead and whatever comes out of the dragon skull. Should I focus on building this thing?

Remember: the game is all about finding The Gun That Can Kill the Past. But for some reason every time you kill the Dragun and recover it, loading a regular bullet into the chamber just kills you and the game restarts. Bummer, eh? Probably just a morality tale about greed getting the best of you or something.

You are correct: building the bullet is how you unlock the second half of the game! Gotta load The Bullet That Can Kill the Past into The Gun That Can Kill the Past in order to, y'know, kill the past!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 5, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, try to get all the rest of the parts. Flight helps with the challenge rooms so if you see wings or a jetpack or anything in the stores you should try to pick it up (I forget what order things unlock).

Once you've turned in that stuff you should try to kill the dragun with every character. That will open up some more stuff to do.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Gunslinger's final boss is so lazy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know I've killed at least one character's past some time before, but I've been playing again the last few days and getting whumped before or on chamber 4. Usually before. I thought video games were like riding a bike and you never really forget :argh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Eh, I came back to the game for the first time in like 1-2 years and after having never died to the lich before, I've been unable to do the third phase the 4 or so times I've gotten to him this week.

It's not just you!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mr. Prokosch posted:

The red scarf is a trap

Red scarf should be its own character, just so you can practice with the dang thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I finally got to the resourceful rat's lair and I seem to be stuck on an endless loading screen...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Jesus the rat is insanely hard, he makes every other fight* look like a bitch

(*I have not done advanced dragun)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
In my opinion he's significantly harder than the advanced dragun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Advanced dragun is a little disappointing because he's not god tier hard and you don't get any advantage in your run from beating him. One or the other would be neat but as is you beat him once and just never again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That sure is a nice coincidence for the first floor :raise:

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I just had an impossibly broken run the other day.
First off it was a Rainbow Run as Robot, which is already almost cheating. Then my first three picks where Riddle of Lead, Yari Launcher, and Clone. Got my first Phase 3 Rat win and my first Advanced Dragun kill. After the second time around there wasn't a single boss that needed more than a single Yari clip since I had been picking up bullet upgrades as well. Gundromeda strain didn't hurt either. :hellyeah:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone have guides on finding secret rooms? I know they're more likely in treasure rooms, dead ends or the elevator to the next chamber; and that they logically fit within the map; but my god there's gotta be a better way to deduce this without wasting half an AK-47 :gonk:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean, it's not really worth the effort, but the entrances don't spawn behind props. The cracks also appear depending on how much damage your gun does, a pea shooter shot won't make the walls crack unless you hit a few iirc.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Unless secret spawning has been completely overhauled since I last played EtG, secrets can absolutely spawn behind props, but won't spawn behind a full layer of them. Like boxes blocking the whole tile will never be a secret, but if there are only one or two a secret can spawn there.

Always try logical spaces for secrets.

Some floors have MUCH lower chances of secrets spawning, or have seemingly higher chances of improbable spawn locations. Certain secret floors will never have secrets.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Generally I check the elevator room, the item rooms, a few spots that seems like it should have a room, then I just blow a blank in the shop and call it a day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll keep practicing then - and not stress about finding it if it's not in an obvious place

I decided to try controller instead of KBM for the first time yesterday, and I wish I'd tried it sooner. The only disadvantage I can find is it's harder to quickly mash RB on semiauto guns than it is to mash mouse1; other than that I feel like my odds of beating at least the High Dragun consistently just went up :D

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I can't stand the default controller setup.

Using xbox controller layout for reference: I use RT for fire, LT for dodge roll, LB and RB for swapping weapons, Y for blanks, X for items, A for reload, and left D-pad for the map.

I find it plays so much better than the standard setup.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

I can't stand the default controller setup.

Using xbox controller layout for reference: I use RT for fire, LT for dodge roll, LB and RB for swapping weapons, Y for blanks, X for items, A for reload, and left D-pad for the map.

Why did you put reload on a face button? Frequently taking your thumb off either of the sticks strikes me as counter intuitive.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Why did you put reload on a face button? Frequently taking your thumb off either of the sticks strikes me as counter intuitive.

You can reload with fire when your clip runs out.

So I'll only use A outside of combat usually, when I need to top off my clip.

Also it's the aiming stick, so I can stay in movement and generally pointed at an enemy while I hit A/X/Y. And my left pointer finger's still free to hit dodge roll in a pinch.

I dunno, it works for me. :shrug:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 10, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

You can reload with fire when your clip runs out.

So I'll only use A outside of combat usually, when I need to top off my clip.

Also it's the aiming stick, so I can stay in movement and generally pointed at an enemy while I hit A/X/Y. And my finger's still free to hit dodge roll in a pinch.

I dunno, it works for me. *shrug*

I reload constantly between reloading in cover and sometimes reloading to change firing modes. Different strokes I suppose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've found the default controls to be quite good. If the map could be a toggle rather than a hold I'd put it on L3 or R3 and put blank on L2, but other than that so far I haven't had any problem with quick access to controls while aiming

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Robot and The Bullet are being a huge PITA to unlock. TV keeps getting stuck on the other side of pits, and I'm not sure I've ever SEEN a caped bullet :(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The Robot and The Bullet are being a huge PITA to unlock. TV keeps getting stuck on the other side of pits, and I'm not sure I've ever SEEN a caped bullet :(

Have you killed a past yet? The caped bullets don't start showing up until at least one has been killed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

Have you killed a past yet? The caped bullets don't start showing up until at least one has been killed.

Hell, killed all four - switching from KBM to controller was a godsend in managing to survive. (I haven't made it back to see the New Stuff yet though. :getin: or :kheldragar: as you like, 'cause hoo boy it looks nasty down there)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 13, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Feature request: a way to quick-open the Ammonomicon to an item or gun in my inventory or on the ground, alt-tabbing or trying to use gungeongod on the phone is getting real old

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i realize i'm the only one posting in here but oh my god I'm so dumb, I must stop donating broken TVs to RR :negative:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm still reading the posts! I'm just not participating because I've been playing Dead Cells lately.

I'm in the middle of moving and these two games are perfect distractions right now when I have time for distractions.

Maintaining two home offices in the middle of packing and moving during a pandemic is very annoying. Thank God for the Switch.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
finally beat Dragun as gunslinger, realized as soon as I passed through the door i forgot the bullet and cant go back lol

i keep playing as paradox so i forgot you needed it.

it's bullshit the lord of the jammed can hit you during cutscenes though lol

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 17, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My first run in a long time featured me getting the final piece of the bullet to the blacksmith and very nearly finishing the soldier's past. Here's to my next run!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been trying to unlock the Gunslinger the past week or so. I've made it to the glitched lich fight several times but haven't had good enough weapons to make it past, man that fight is tough. It doesn't help that it's at the end of a nearly 2-hour run.

Still, a pretty fun challenge and has given me a reason to polish my bullet-hell clears.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Did it! Was down to a single heart when I killed the lich but I loving did it.

The Triple Gun ended up saving my rear end. The high dps and piercing let me do a ton of damage easily on that boss fight.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gungeon is free on PS4 right now. Oh lord do I want to start this dang rear end game from 0 again :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I played 100 hours and never got a single character ending. Starting from zero might be a mercy.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I played 100 hours and never got a single character ending. Starting from zero might be a mercy.

Got a character ending in my third game :smug: Weird to play this game with a controller after hundreds of hours with mouse and keyboard

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh cool, my husband bought Enter the Gungeon for xbone. Maybe I'll do a quick run, see what I can unl-

:stare::hf::black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I considered restarting after getting exit the gungeon to relive the experience in full but I somehow knew I would never have the wherewithal to do stuff like unlock the elevators or the robot or all of the hunting challenges again so I just left it at basically 100% (the only thing I haven't done is kill the Advanced Dragun or punch out the RR)