Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm saying that blasphemy is the most defensive weapon to use and coupled with a powerful damage booster that requires you to play safely may be a good combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're still not getting the point that Metronome is worse on Blasphemy compared to most other weapons

But instead of repeating it a 3rd time, lemme lament the RNG in this game again:

120 hours in, still not gotten all bosses

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Finally killed the past as the Hunter!

Edit: Is it my imagination, or is the 'Gun-blessing' utterly useless?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HenryEx posted:

You're still not getting the point that Metronome is worse on Blasphemy compared to most other weapons

But instead of repeating it a 3rd time, lemme lament the RNG in this game again:

Did you unlock that boss because he shows up almost instantly after you do.

If not go through the tutorial again because you missed the secret room.

E: Or is that the Mimic boss? Cause yeah that ones weirdly rare in general.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

HenryEx posted:

I just think the opposite of what you think and you know what that is ok

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm about to hit the 300 death mark and I've only fought the mimic boss once. I'm pretty sure I beat it but I don't remember.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I see why he's saying that blasphemy would be good with metronome, if you never get hit you keep the damage bonus, which means you always have max health to keep shooting swordbeams. Meanwhile you're using blasphemy as you normally would but with it being less tedious to use in later floors because the safe attack is doing over twice as much damage as standard, on top of having no risk of running out of ammo forcing you to lose your metronome stacks. Obviously trying to use metronome+blasphemy without already being at max hp would be a terrible idea.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 30, 2016

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Does the Mimic boss show up in the boss fight mode if you haven not fought or beat it yet?
I always get it as part of the fourth floor bosses as there are only two regular bosses for that floor.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

chestnut santabag posted:

Does the Mimic boss show up in the boss fight mode if you haven not fought or beat it yet?
I always get it as part of the fourth floor bosses as there are only two regular bosses for that floor.

Kill Pillars, Wallmonger, High Priest. Three.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Cryohazard posted:

Kill Pillars, Wallmonger, High Priest. Three.

Oops yeah I meant the third floor bosses as there is only Treadnaught and Cannonbalrog.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mimic boss can be on literally any floor outside 1. I've seen it on 2 and 4

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hehe, decided to give killing each character's past a fair shake, especially since I usually never play as the convict, but the RNG gods decided it fit to give me the Brocolli/pea shooter combo, I've never been so happy to get a joke weapon out of the muncher before and I was able to use it on every room and every boss from the Powder Mines to the High Dragun. This game :allears:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I got the Clone. I had Muscle Relaxant and a bunch of compatible guns. I had 4 Master Rounds going into Chamber 2.

The loving game crashed, with an error code I've seen the PS4 spit out a dozen times, and Lead God vanished from reach.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jibo posted:

Ha ha, man, I thought long and hard about picking up a scrambler after clearing two floors with the metronome and the AK 47 earlier today. I still got to the past that run so it didn't matter I guess but it would be nice to do away with that.

Also I guess it makes it work in blessed runs now.

Speaking of the Scrambler, I had an insane run a few days ago where I had the hip holster + backup gun and more or less exclusively used it. Three eggs at once meant I could more or less hide behind cover while shooting randomly while the cloud of locusts those scrambler shots produced shredded everything instantly.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Power of Pecota posted:

Speaking of the Scrambler, I had an insane run a few days ago where I had the hip holster + backup gun and more or less exclusively used it. Three eggs at once meant I could more or less hide behind cover while shooting randomly while the cloud of locusts those scrambler shots produced shredded everything instantly.

I dream of a world with backup gun + scatter shot and beehive ducttaped to gungine.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Klaus Kinski posted:

I dream of a world with backup gun + scatter shot and beehive ducttaped to gungine.

Backup, scatter, holster, scrambler, particulator, duct-tape.

Fat bullets for extra screen-filling stupidity.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Um, excuse me?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Savor it, it's only gonna happen once.

(it isn't too hard)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jsor posted:

Um, excuse me?

Hahaha that was my exact reaction too.

SERIOUSLY COME ON

The second one is relatively easy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Finally managed to beat the Dragun's heart on the first phase; the Patriot + fat bullets really kick rear end.

Just to let you know tho, Polaris + RPG through Duct tape doesn't work.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Polaris breaks alot of things. I gets the damage reduction but not the multiple bullets from scattershot etc

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Finally killed all four pasts. Actually died to the Marine one the first time - it seems a LOT tougher than the rest.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Olpainless posted:

Finally killed all four pasts. Actually died to the Marine one the first time - it seems a LOT tougher than the rest.

Christ I found the Marine's past such a pain in the rear end, I think its that drat Hegemony Carbine, I might as well be trying to kill stuff with an office stapler.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I killed all the pasts on the first try, only one that have me trouble was the pilot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Marine has the easiest past next to Convict. Like the alien has bullet king level patterns, I don't get how anyone has trouble with him as moving slightly to the left is enough to dodge everything.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Marine has the easiest past next to Convict. Like the alien has bullet king level patterns, I don't get how anyone has trouble with him as moving slightly to the left is enough to dodge everything.

It's the worms that can be nasty, or when there's still imps (which seem to predict movement) active as well as the alien shooting.

Pilot's by far the easiest as far as I'm concerned.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I beat all of the pasts first try but I definitely remember almost losing to the Marine's. I wasn't sure if the holes in the floor were harmful or not so I was getting damaged trying to avoid them.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually he doesn't. He has like half of one.

I've died to the Pilot's a few times but last time I figured out that you're not supposed to try to dodge the big laser beams so I think I'll probably clear it next time.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Hunter's past was the hardest for me because I underestimated the boss and barely pulled through in the end. The boss has some nasty patterns purely because of how weird they are shaped.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
pilot's past caught me off guard because I didn't have item use bound to a good spammable button. the second time i was prepared.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Radioactive Toy posted:

I beat all of the pasts first try but I definitely remember almost losing to the Marine's. I wasn't sure if the holes in the floor were harmful or not so I was getting damaged trying to avoid them.

Those holes somehow killed my framerate since I only have the world's shittiest laptop to play this game on at the moment and he always seemed to follow it up with the Bullet king attack which was just the worst.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I seem to be able to flawless bosses fairly reliably, but I always take damage from careless mistakes from random trash throughout the levels. especially the further down you get, I find the environment traps to be more likely to wear me down through attrition than even any of the monsters. it's like I can either pay attention to the bullets being poo poo at me by monsters and I lose focus on the pit traps and spikes in the room, or I keep my timing around fireball and crusher traps but get tagged by a single bullet from a pistol gundead. then I can dodge circles around the bosses and it's so frustrating that the levels seem more threatening than the bosses.

also, I feel like the speed boosting items actually make me worse at dodging. especially vs monsters that shoot huge waves / columns of bullets that you have to weave through, I feel like I expect my guy to move a certain speed and when I have a speed boosting item, I over-position myself and nudge into a bullet and it sucks.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Is there any reward or unlock for a no damage Dragun kill or am I saving blanks for no reason? Last kill I got hit once from a slow blank :argh:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Sydnesider posted:

Is there any reward or unlock for a no damage Dragun kill

Yes.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Well, thanks to some hilarity in the first chamber (a chest dropped a decoy, and the shop on the floor had the Elder Blank and Cursula with the Sixth Chamber), and then the first boss dropping the goddamn Clone, I've just done my first Bullet Hell run and killed the Lich first time. While jammed. The blank/chamber combo is hilarious, I could use the thing 10-12 times during bosses.

Highlights of the run include sniper rifle, cog of battle, and muscle relaxant killing even jammed enemies in one shot, a Fightsabre drop to get my curse/coolness even higher, resulting in items every two or three runs, and an ammo synthesizer to keep ammo up as well.

Next, Lead God to get.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you want to play around a bit with the special chests (glitch or rainbow) but haven't had a chance yet because they're so rare, try this CE script:

http://pastebin.com/cZmuzSpS

It lets you see & modify the chances for both types of chest. Keep in mind that 1 = 100%, 0.1 = 10% and so on.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I might have to check that one out. I've seen two rainbow chests and one glitch chest but they were all in like my first week of playing.

It's especially frustrating because I know I can handle two Beholsters just fine now but at the time I had hardly any experience against them.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
My first Lich win was with the Sling and Hip Holster. Double rocks destroy everything. It also helped I had that passive that proc'd explosions on hit. Double exploding rocks.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
After 25+ hours and only one dragun kill, I'm giving this game up. I spent that last three games in a row getting flawless on lvls 1, 1.5, and 2 only to have majority brown chests except for two greens and two blues for all three runs. 13 of 19 total chests being brown (Had an extra keylock chest room that was brown + half-heart.)

I'd rather not download cheat engine to make this game fun, it just seems so random to the point of stupid when you have to rely on mediocre boss drops only to get smashed by level three because the RNG is so punishing. I'm no bullet-hell master, and this game gives no shits for anyone that isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Thor-Stryker posted:

After 25+ hours and only one dragun kill, I'm giving this game up. I spent that last three games in a row getting flawless on lvls 1, 1.5, and 2 only to have majority brown chests except for two greens and two blues for all three runs. 13 of 19 total chests being brown (Had an extra keylock chest room that was brown + half-heart.)

I'd rather not download cheat engine to make this game fun, it just seems so random to the point of stupid when you have to rely on mediocre boss drops only to get smashed by level three because the RNG is so punishing. I'm no bullet-hell master, and this game gives no shits for anyone that isn't.

But...that's what those cheat engine scripts fix.