Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GlyphGryph posted:

Interesting. Would you consider the MiB style "erase the last 10 minutes" mind wipers to effectively be murder, for killing the individual you were and replacing it with someone from the past?

That's inaccurate, the MiB device doesn't replace you with an earlier you, it replaces you with earlier you + 10 minute hole. If it went back in time and pulled 10 minutes ago you forward as a replacement that might be considered murder, but mostly because both bodies would self-destruct when they touched each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

vintagepurple posted:

I really can't make sense of oh dear me's point unless they're of the belief that they/their sister will just wake up in the new copied body. It's not about the "original organism." It's about you being absolutely dead and replaced. Your thoughts are gone. Your sister is still dead. There's just an uncanny valley clone walking about thinking it's the person you guys were.

That's not what uncanny valley means, as the person wandering around presumably would be indistinguishable from the original rather than very close but just off enough to cause unease. The whole argument against sister cloning comes across as a fetishism of authenticity or religious fervor. If the only way to tell the difference is to be told which is the original then authenticity loses all meaning to the observer.

This is wholly different from saying you'd be ok doing it to yourself.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Peta posted:

There are echoes of the uncanny valley in the idea that you can look at a replica of your dead sister and find yourself disturbed by the knowledge that sh'es only a replica rather than the original.
That's like saying using a counterfeit purse is the uncanny valley, it renders the term pointlessly overly general. And it doesn't answer why to the outside observer that difference would matter, unless you're dancing around claiming that the clone wouldn't have a soul or similar.

quote:

Ah yes. It is OK to be tricked, because you do not know you are being tricked while you are being tricked.
If the outcome and the method are the same then yes it is perfectly fine. If I say a perfectly round ball bearing will operate a machine for 5 years, and then I use a ball bearing that for any reason is not perfectly round, regardless of me being aware or not of that lack of roundness when using it, and that machine operates for 5 years, then that ball bearing met the condition of being perfectly round to an outside observer.

In the clone scenario it's simple to envision a method where knowledge of which is the original is destroyed, so I'm not even sure how that becomes a trick outside of attempting negative framing. Both then become clones and originals.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Control Volume posted:

Are people who teleport more likely to be serial killers?

No, the teleporters will shrink and enlarge the skull as necessary to remove those characteristics.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kit Walker posted:

Until you start earnestly arguing that you'd be fine with your loved ones getting killed so long as they were replaced with their identical duplicates.

Why wouldn't someone be ok with that? Or perhaps why shouldn't they?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kit Walker posted:

I never thought I'd be asked to explain to someone why their loved ones getting killed was a bad thing but here we are.

So explain it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kit Walker posted:

How about instead you explain to a loved one why they should be fine with it?

Why would I do that? How they feel about the teleporter is their decision, not mine. Presumably if they are ok with using a teleporter then conveniently I should experience no continuity break when they use it.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Control Volume posted:

What if your sister was cloned, and they got in a fight to the death in front of you over their identity, but in the melee you weren't able to see who the victor was. Would you help the survivor dispose of the body?

My taxes are high enough, I don't need some maybe-clone clogging up the prison system.

• Locked thread