Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Juffo-Wup posted:

I have a ship, which is the very same ship that Theseus sailed from Crete. I decide to renovate it by replacing each part, piece by piece, with an indistinguishable piece. As I'm doing this, a thief is stealing the discarded pieces and putting them back together into a ship indistinguishable from mine. Which ship is now the very same ship Theseus sailed from Crete?

Considerations in favor of my ship being that one:
-Sameness of form

Considerations in favor of the thief's ship being the one:
-Sameness of form
-Sameness of matter

Hobbes ends up saying it's my ship because it has the right kind of causal continuity: my ship was always a ship, but there was a period of time during which the thief's ship wasn't seaworthy, and therefore wasn't a ship. If it wasn't a ship, it certainly cannot be identical to anything that is a ship.

(Hidden premise: diachronic existence can't be gappy; temporal parts have to be continuous)

I am probably okay with iterative replacement of my brain with silicon or wbatever, because my consciousness is continuous. I am probably not okay with destructive teleportation, because my consciousness is probably not.

I would rather that when I die I be replaced by an exact duplicate than not, but I would prefer not dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Control Volume posted:

What if the memory banks of the modern cyberbrain go down to a hardware failure, and you are forced to use a backup, but then the memory banks are restored and the memories uploaded into your consciousness, are you still you, or a cyber clone, or both?

This is actually an extremely neat one that is somewhat less nightmarish than "what if sleeping causes the same discontinuity?".

I'm not sure I have a decent answer, but it's a darn interesting question. What I personally care about is continuity of experience, which theoretically lends itself to some very weird scenarios that involve mindclones that aren't me until they're hooked back up to my meathead, whereupon they are me.

• Locked thread