Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anyone who allows some dumb philosophers talk them into getting vaporized so some clone can live it up on Mars deserves to get blasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also, since I'm functionally identical to whoever comes out on the other side, and since there's already one of me around, I should legally be allowed to do whatever I want to the other me, right? Like, unless they're handing out birth certificates at the teleportation station, dude's got not citizenship and no human rights. Theoretically I should be able to program a teleporter to not destroy the original while creating many copies, then experimenting on them to see how I would react in given situations. Could I beat a gorilla in a fight? Probably not, but I would be morally justified in killing untold numbers of copies to find out.

Oh dear me posted:

Isn't this also just a restatement of the premisses? We know very well the original organism is dead, because we disassembled it. I would go through a (painless) transporter because the world afterwards would have someone who was the same as me in all important respects, but more conveniently located. If you wouldn't, what is it about being 'the original organism' that matters to you?

The part where your not dead? You can't care about the convenience of everyone else and your clone if you're no longer alive.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, you'd be justified I guess in committing suicide lots and lots of times, assuming it (and the intentional clonemaking) was actually legal.

I'd argue you should probably retain the right to renege on your suicidal plans at any time you choose, though. So you'd probably end up with dozens of copies who all refuse to do whatever stupid things you didn't want to do but thought, for some weird-rear end reason, they (with your exact same mind) would somehow agree to?

They don't have to agree to it, I have a gun.

According the telefailures I'd be okay in setting up gladiatorial combat between my clones, forcing them to fight to the death for my own amusement. Since they are me and suicide is a personal choice.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

These teleporter nuts are diabolical. They despise life. Not only their own but that of their family's too. I hope you use a teleporter with no exit node my friend.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't care if the world decides my clone is the real me. Or hell, even if I'm a clone myself and not the original. I don't want to be vaporized by your godless science machine. Even if its more convenient for society that a version of me gets to where I need to be quicker, or if my sister will still love whatever soulless beast wearing my face is around.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What is caring?!? Maybe you should go to EN if you're going to depressed post.

The continuity of consciousness and the biological being that possesses it is important when I am that biological being. Disruptions of that consciousness - such as when you sleep - are a normal function of living. There is a continuity of the body that insures that I am still me. And when the body is replaced, atom by atom, it is not replaced all at once, and there is a continuity of the consciousness while it happens. But to destroy the consciousness and the body at once, is the same as dying. Entering the machine is the same experience as getting shot in the head. One moment I am, the next I am not. I do not experience what my clone experiences. I do not share my consciousness with them, even if it is identical otherwise.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whether or not clones have souls is a matter I'll leave to God (spoilers: they don't.) But two objects being identical does not turn them into one object. The same is true of consciousness. It is not possible for my conscious to be in two places at once. The teleporter is a lying murderbox that does not transfer anything, its just a cloning machine that doubles as a genocide machine.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The robot hand question is really dumb because consciousness doesn't reside in the hand. Venom Snake is still Venom Snake even after he gets a robot hand. But he is never Big Boss.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All bananas are functionally clones of each other. Does this mean all bananas are one single organism? I certainly hope not, lest the worlds tropical peoples starve for want of fruit!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing for people to be forcibly teleported against their will either.

I do. Pro teleporters should be sent to Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I bet that guy only loves his sister's duplicate because its legal to gently caress it.

• Locked thread