Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Svaha posted:

This question, and similar ones concerning the transfer of consciousness to machines, always assumes a break in the continuity of consciousness between the initial state and the final state.

What if you were able to experience the process of transitioning from one state to the other without a discernible break in consciousness? Since there is no break in consciousness wouldn't that mean you are the same person at the other end?

I'm not sure how that would be possible. You would have to somehow facilitate a connection between cells at the destination and cells at the origin. If you could somehow have, for example, a neuron at the destination connected to a neuron at the origin through a tiny wormhole or some crazy poo poo then I guess it might be possible (assuming the downright magical technology that would require).

Oh dear me posted:

My current body is materially utterly different from the body I had 20 years ago. (It has a similar structure, of course, but so would the clone.) Why does a loss of historical continuity of body matter at all?

The changes in your body (and in the case of this topic, specifically in the brain) are gradual and allow the brain as a whole to continue operating uninterrupted. Put another way, for any specific short interval of time, there will be many brain cells that live for that entire time interval, allowing the brain to function uninterrupted. It would only be equivalent to the teleportation described in the OP if every single cell in your brain was replaced at the same time, which would result in a time period, no matter how short, where the brain was not functioning (or existing, for that matter).

So, the machine that is the brain continues operating as long as you're living, even if individual cells die and are replaced over time. But if you are copied and the original you is deleted, the original brain has ceased to function, even if the new brain is completely identical. So even if the new person/brain feels identical to the old person, it is just a new copy (in the same way as it would be if the original weren't deleted).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread