Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's probably best to just not assume a country/generation is some monolithic entity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Weird misunderstandings/racism aside, I appreciate the explanation of Ainu culture outside of Hokkaido and thought something was weird with her wearing Ainu stuff.
It looks cool/cute at any rate.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I like bears in a comedic context so I'm on board for this.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

To my knowledge America and Canada generally don't pretend that the Natives don't exist. It's more like having a Turkish movie about the Armenian Genocide or something. I'm not familiar with Golden Kamui or any of that, so it might be that younger people or popular culture aren't as bad as I thought the whole country is.

What do you mean by younger generation? The first Ainu character I remember seeing is from the video game Samurai Showdown which came out over 20 years ago. And there's also Shaman King which was a fairly popular shounen series that's over a decade old that had an Ainu character introduced near the very beginning. I'm sure if I really cared to, I could find more examples, but that's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Ainu in anime is not a new thing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
IIRC there's no legal recognition of Ainu status by the government, but that's a very different thing from the sort of cultural erasure Ding-Dong seems to think happens.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
All Japanese people know what the Ainu people are. The main thing is that they have no recognized rights as an aboriginal people.

Like others have said the forced assimilation and racism also happened/happens in North America and we as a society have no issue with Native Americans appearing in media. We don't imagine that they don't exist and neither does Japan.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
And in a similar way to America and it's Natives, Japanese designers love ripping off traditional Ainu patterns for use in fantasy games/manga/anime/etc designs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:kimchi: I wanna hug the bear

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Knorth posted:

:kimchi: I wanna hug the bear

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RIP to those that died.

Frankly, i'm appalled by all this horrific and gratuitous violence.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

if they show a baby baer and it doesnt make the BU BU BU noise im going to be upset, but then i would be happy again when i watched the ending for this show

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

a kitten posted:

RIP to those that died.

Frankly, i'm appalled by all this horrific and gratuitous violence.

It was truly the most grisly of episodes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Sandman posted:

It was truly the most grisly of episodes.

We needn't make it such a polarizing issue, so please just bear with it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all of those puns were made last page!! boo!!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

It's beary annoying! :mad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Don't pooh all the bear puns.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

dogsicle posted:

I suppose it is a bit of a boar, isn't it?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear.

Bear.

Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010
good ed
good bear

good show

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

in the second episode when miko showed off her HEATTECH shirt it still had the size sticker stuck on it. miko is never going to live in the city

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I wonder how far into the manga this show will get - translations have stopped at chapter 14 but I've seen raws that I want animated.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear Bear.

Bear.

BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEEEAAARRREEESSSSSS~ah!

I'd link the version with the Yumi-Kuma footage but that has that shot and I don't feel like chancing it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 12, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Kuma Miko: The Bear Necessities of (Rural Japanese) Life

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

I hope this chair comes back in a future episode.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Everything A Goddamn Ordeal For Area Miko

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Command Ant posted:

I hope this chair comes back in a future episode.

:same:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Actually, if you want a pretty apt comparison about what the Ainu are like, you can do worse than the Sami; where especially in Norway where I've read about them, they're visually indistinguishable in many cases from their 'host' nation, are arguably the original inhabitants, their religion has been persecuted at various times but is now tolerated and while there is some level of bigotry, it's certainly faded now as secularism has gotten more popular in general.

I mean, hell, in Norway for instance, they only recognized them as an indigenous group (which entitled them to special protection) in 1990, so if you have a progressive nation like that loving things up with natives, what do you expect from Japan?

That said, in this case you can deffo make the argument that while the Ainu people were very focused on bears, they certainly weren't the only people to do so; Shinto is an animistic religion as well, as far as I remember there was also some worship on their end towards bears. Though there was very little co-opting of Ainu beliefs, they just evolved naturally as an extension of the worship of nature spirits. Bears are pretty baller after all; you can see the same in the Sibearian and Finno-Ungric Shamanistic traditions.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

HellCopter posted:

I wonder how far into the manga this show will get - translations have stopped at chapter 14 but I've seen raws that I want animated.

Wait what? Kuma Miko is one of the series I really wanted to translate, but I thought another goon was doing it. If they've dropped it I'd be more than happy to do it.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

Wait what? Kuma Miko is one of the series I really wanted to translate, but I thought another goon was doing it. If they've dropped it I'd be more than happy to do it.

I didn't drop it. We've had trouble getting cleaners and typesetters, which is why things have been so slow. Although it's been licensed now so we are planning on dropping after the next chapter. Which is too bad because there are a lot of great chapters coming up I was looking forward to. If your morals are a little more flexible, feel free to pick it up.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Joshlemagne posted:

I didn't drop it. We've had trouble getting cleaners and typesetters, which is why things have been so slow. Although it's been licensed now so we are planning on dropping after the next chapter. Which is too bad because there are a lot of great chapters coming up I was looking forward to. If your morals are a little more flexible, feel free to pick it up.

Ohh, okay. Naw if it's getting licensed I guess that's fine then. Thanks for the heads up.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I can't find any info about it being licensed - who picked it up?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

HellCopter posted:

I can't find any info about it being licensed - who picked it up?

Mangaupdates says One Peace Books. It's possible they haven't really announced it yet, but contacted the current fan translators about it first.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

episode 3 is amazing.

also there is a kyary pamyu pamyu joke

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

https://a.pomf.cat/ioyszp.webm

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That was great. They're really making this a worthwhile watch for people who have read the manga already.

They're, uh, intensifying some scenes that were originally shorter/tamer. I guess it's understandable. Last episode had a lot of still frames with no dialogue, which felt like filling airtime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Machi is strong, and will stand up for her right to not have to wear weird outfits.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Colonel posted:

Machi is strong, and will stand up for her right to not have to wear weird outfits.

The Ainu designs are the cool part of that outfit. She has good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

• Locked thread