Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Natsu should take a more paws-on approach to parenting imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Zettace posted:

This series is actually an awareness campaign on the effects of negligent parenting on a child's psyche. Machi's mental age is seriously a couple of years behind.

You could even say that Machi's development has pawsed at around 8 years old.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Machi is probably only slightly more of a bumpkin than Komari from Non Non Biyori

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Xelkelvos posted:

Machi is probably only slightly more of a bumpkin than Komari from Non Non Biyori

Yeah, we know she'll get her bearings eventually.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I really like the HOOHEYHOOHEYHOOOOOOOO that pops up for the breaks. I cut it out and uploaded it.

http://tindeck.com/listen/pqvpp

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Being Machi is suffering.

It's no Watamoto, but this is getting hard for me to watch as a fellow introvert.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Does anyone have a screencap of so many buttons?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

holy poo poo so much miko suffering

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
While Machi's social anxiety was difficult to watch, I still thought the utter despair the shoppers felt around her sales pitch was hilarious. It was a guilty laugh but it was a good guilty laugh.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Mirage posted:

While Machi's social anxiety was difficult to watch, I still thought the utter despair the shoppers felt around her sales pitch was hilarious. It was a guilty laugh but it was a good guilty laugh.

Yeah, this didn't make me feel half as bad as Watamote, that show was just suffering. It was still hard(especially when the manager came), but Yoshio coming in made me feel so much better.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This is incredibly adorable.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It started off as a good day for Machi too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Machi has worked, and died. :rip:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sales is a tough gig.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
We barely got a few minutes into the episode until I figured out the plot. The levels of "MACCHI'S SO GREAT WE SHOULD USE HER FOR EVERYTHING" are getting really creepy. I want to believe it's just a protagonist thing, but like...shouldn't there be concern if there's only one not-elderly girl in the village, who's a minor, and every male in the village including the dang bear is crushing on her in more or less innocent ways? I actually had to skip the swimsuit filming part because it's just more "LOOK AT THIS LITTLE GIRL IN A TOTALLY SEXUALIZED OUTFIT, YOU WANT THIS HUH, HUH?!". I didn't sign up for a show about old men and a bear drooling after a little girl with sexual tones (no, not even undertones, this show is bad at being subtle with this particular topic). I'll keep watching but I hope we can go back to the non-ecchi slice of life stuff like with the rice cooker and such.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Yeah, this show is definitely the most disappointing one this season for me, and that's a show in the same season as Ace Attorney. It was nothing I was hoping it would be from the trailer and first episode or two.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CryingAthena posted:

We barely got a few minutes into the episode until I figured out the plot. The levels of "MACCHI'S SO GREAT WE SHOULD USE HER FOR EVERYTHING" are getting really creepy. I want to believe it's just a protagonist thing, but like...shouldn't there be concern if there's only one not-elderly girl in the village, who's a minor, and every male in the village including the dang bear is crushing on her in more or less innocent ways? I actually had to skip the swimsuit filming part because it's just more "LOOK AT THIS LITTLE GIRL IN A TOTALLY SEXUALIZED OUTFIT, YOU WANT THIS HUH, HUH?!". I didn't sign up for a show about old men and a bear drooling after a little girl with sexual tones (no, not even undertones, this show is bad at being subtle with this particular topic). I'll keep watching but I hope we can go back to the non-ecchi slice of life stuff like with the rice cooker and such.

Watch Flying Witch, it does what this show is trying to do but the execution is strictly better.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Have this since it won't be animated. A Kick the Can game

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Watch Flying Witch, it does what this show is trying to do but the execution is strictly better.

Already am, and you're absolutely right. :)

Now I'm trying to pick up my jaw from the floor at the realization that the animation crew has all the time in the world to parade Macchi in a swimsuit for absolutely no other reason than "we need her in a swimsuit :fap:" but kick the can game is getting nothing. :saddowns:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Isn't the whole commercial thing straight from the manga though?

Also, Machi wasn't particularly sexualized in her swimsuit (by anime standards, anyway; no slow pans or sparkly backgrounds). I thought she just looked cute and awkward jumping around while everyone around her blew their lines. Maybe I'm just impervious to girls in frumpy school swimsuits.

On a more meta note, they had to do something embarrassing to Machi, since her reacting to such situations is like 50% of her jokes.

Bear in mind I'm also probably subconsciously comparing this to the only other Kadokawa production I've seen, Heaven's Lost Property. Compared to that, this stuff is Mary Poppins.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

:rolleyes:

AnacondaHL posted:

This isn't true. Flying Witch is not at all the kind of comedy that Kuma Miko is, and the only thing they have in common is the rural setting. Flying Witch is good, and I'll admit that if I had to choose which one I liked more, I would choose Flying Witch, but they're too different for the comparison that you're making.

Mirage posted:

Bear in mind

:grin:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The final commercial was hilarious. And the song version without the cuts and product placement was actually not bad at all.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I think it would have made more sense to have her in her cool miko garb for the first part of the ad and only having her change for her in the hot springs. I wonder if the commercial will even be worth it to that jewelry shop.

Allarion posted:

Have this since it won't be animated. A Kick the Can game

Machi having massive social/technological anxiety over trivial things is entertaining but watching her suddenly become inhumanly concentrated and intense is great. If only she could channel the energy of an actor or a tinker for those times when she encounters stuff like that. Except afterwards she'd have no idea how she pulled it off.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Machi should get some treatment for her SAD.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yeah, geez. There's "charmingly shy" and then there's "literally unable to talk to people without breaking out into a cold sweat."
Machi doesn't need quizzes, she needs a therapist.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Do any other bears appear in the manga?
After all, Natsu is a bad bear.

Aki, the reincarnated Kiritanpo. was voiced by the singer of the intro.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Just a mention that the previous bear was a real tough guy compared to Natsu. I wonder if there's only one talking bear allowed at a time.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

HellCopter posted:

Just a mention that the previous bear was a real tough guy compared to Natsu. I wonder if there's only one talking bear allowed at a time.

Since Natsu is fixed, there must be others around there. I think the story was that all the bears in the region could talk. The others are probably off in the woods, you know, making GBS threads.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
City folk are cruel and the idol business is cutthroat, so Machi's paranoid delusions may have accidentally been correct this time.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The other idols are all country folk too and it's such a local event that it's far removed from the actual idol industry. Machi just has a huge persecution complex.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is country and then there is living in an isolated cabin in the woods

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
WTF Machi, seriously.

I'm not happy with this finale at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so did she ever move to the city like she wanted to at the start

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

so did she ever move to the city like she wanted to at the start

The final episode Machi basically goes "gently caress the city forever" (For...no actual reason, the city people loved her idol performance and it was 100% delusional paranoia on her part.) Natsu is ecstatic and tells her to never bother trying to learn anything again because they can just live in their cabin in the woods together and order cool poo poo from amazon.

It's a pretty lovely ending, IMO.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

madmac posted:

The final episode Machi basically goes "gently caress the city forever" (For...no actual reason, the city people loved her idol performance and it was 100% delusional paranoia on her part.) Natsu is ecstatic and tells her to never bother trying to learn anything again because they can just live in their cabin in the woods together and order cool poo poo from amazon.

what the heck

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I expected this series to have less bullying of Machi and more of her being sweet and cute. Such a disappointment

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Natsu is a piece of poo poo. Does manga end like this?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

what the heck

She brings home a loving trophy and no one even tries to contradict her bizarre hallucination that people were throwing rocks at her.

Bleh, the show was getting increasingly less fun and cute after the halfway point or so anyway. I was originally planning to pick up the manga after the show finished up but I'm not interested anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ughhhhhhhh. :(

• Locked thread