Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Finally got around to the latest ep. Having read what people were saying about it, I watched it with a copy of the manga open to compare.

The opening bits were mostly anime original (the people in the office bit, 80% of the mikoshi carrying scene).

The rest of the first half, after the OP, stuck pretty close to the manga.

The entire second half with Hibiki was literally word for word the same script as the manga (except updating the data about the store, since the manga is a few years old now I guess). The direction/panel layout was pretty different though, and it mostly felt like they didn't translate it well to animation at all. The clothing store part also suffers a lot if you aren't already familiar with Shimamura to begin with (if it helps, it has kind of a similar reputation to JC Penney in the US).

Also, it felt like they made Hibiki more of a violent rear end in a top hat. Not that she's not one in the manga to some extent, but there it came off as less spiteful somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Ahh, to think I had to go almost a whole day before finding a good old fashioned ADTRW over-analyze-every-anime-into-creatively-bankrupt-pedophilia-due-to-self-loathing-over-liking-anime post. Does a body good to know some things never change.

C'mon. Just because he voiced an unpopular opinion doesn't mean we just have to dismiss it off-hand. I think it's perfectly valid and legitimate for someone to say "I was put off by the content of this and this is why." That's not unreasonable. Actually, the weirder thing is how we, as a forum, tend to put our hands over our ears and ignore subtext and analysis in some kind of opposite reaction to CineD.

And to be fair, the fanservice/dress-up scene was a bit weird and lewd in the manga too -- however, it was just a one-off chapter and it doesn't really set the tone for all the rest. I take it a bit like that first chapter of Centaur's Worries, I almost stopped reading the manga at that point.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DrSunshine posted:

C'mon. Just because he voiced an unpopular opinion doesn't mean we just have to dismiss it off-hand. I think it's perfectly valid and legitimate for someone to say "I was put off by the content of this and this is why." That's not unreasonable. Actually, the weirder thing is how we, as a forum, tend to put our hands over our ears and ignore subtext and analysis in some kind of opposite reaction to CineD.

And to be fair, the fanservice/dress-up scene was a bit weird and lewd in the manga too -- however, it was just a one-off chapter and it doesn't really set the tone for all the rest. I take it a bit like that first chapter of Centaur's Worries, I almost stopped reading the manga at that point.

Look, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings and limits upon good taste, and everyone can drop a show for whatever reason they want. I may even be willing to admit that the guy has a reasonable point. But I personally think there's a fair number of people on this forum who are way overly sensitive to stuff along these lines.

Now, being overly sensitive is not the worst thing on this subject because there's plenty of questionable content in anime these days, and its not exactly getting better as more harem shows and incest fantasies and lolicon bait and what have you get churned out season after season. It deserves to be noted, discussed and criticized, both in the universal moral/ethical/social terms that one can discuss any art in, and in specific terms of the insights it gives us into the culture that creates it. But I don't think most people around here are so quick to lash out at LENGTHY BATHING SCENES or whatever the sticking point of the show is because of their grand moral fiber. In my opinion the main reason for the attitude is reactionary bluster born from a desire to feel superior to other internet anime communities like 4chan or MAL who are (perhaps rightly) demonized for their grossness and habit of reveling in said grossness.

I mean, goons have that attitude on every subject in every forum, I'm not pretending otherwise, but to me at least it's always seemed particularly pronounced around here and it bugs me. Half of the "I dropped this show because X was too gross for me," posts come across less as an attempt at criticism and more as an attempt to curry E-Street Cred because it's cool to hate anime on this anime discussion forum. Maybe that's unfair, maybe I'm even projecting to an extent, but that's how I see it, and it particularly grates on me when you have a good fun IP like this one and someone just has to come in and let us all know about THE SECRET PEDOPHILIA its hiding based on 3 minutes of content across four episodes or whatever.

...that ended up being more of a rant than I really hoped. Oh well.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's a holdover from the mid-Zorak days of ADTRW. A bunch of posters got banned for lolicon stuff, so the whole forum was put under the microscope. Nobody wanted to look like they enjoyed the ins anely sexy anime-related pics so everyone was being as visibly outraged as possible.

Really, it's calmed down since then. A poster like Dark_Tzitzimine wouldn't have lasted a second there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People are entitled to have their opinions regarding shows/comics like this. They also need to understand that it's perfectly valid that someone else calls them on their opinion, whether it's dumb or not.

The 2nd half of episode 4 was a bit on the slow and dull side, though. The “Huey Lewis” bit at the end was fun. Eri Kitamura doing her evil/sukeban voice kinda also made it bearable.

:cripes:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I didn't like the Miko bullying. Rest was alright.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

HellCopter posted:

It's a holdover from the mid-Zorak days of ADTRW. A bunch of posters got banned for lolicon stuff, so the whole forum was put under the microscope. Nobody wanted to look like they enjoyed the ins anely sexy anime-related pics so everyone was being as visibly outraged as possible.

Really, it's calmed down since then. A poster like Dark_Tzitzimine wouldn't have lasted a second there.

ok point taken but this anime really does feel like the animators are just itching to put the girl in more revealing clothing for reasons and i was just kind of pointing out how adtrw is very quick to go "lalala, don't know what you're talking about" over things the majority like.
but then again lots of other people just recently said basically that in the interim between my posts so just add one more to that pile I guess.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahh what a goofy episode! Machi is the weirdest girl holy crap :3: I'm glad she's learning about TVs and how to play video games

Hibiki is rough but pretty sweet, I like her and her voice actor

Poor dumb Machi :kimchi:

Futaba Anzu posted:

ok point taken but this anime really does feel like the animators are just itching to put the girl in more revealing clothing for reasons and i was just kind of pointing out how adtrw is very quick to go "lalala, don't know what you're talking about" over things the majority like.

Jesus

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I really liked the gag that she can barely handle a random encounter in Dragon Quest, and then calls it a day.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Allarion posted:

I really liked the gag that she can barely handle a random encounter in Dragon Quest, and then calls it a day.

The ferocious snail! :3: she made it out of the town, that a pretty big achievement

I really liked the keyless entry line too :) she's so sheltered :3:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 26, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

rando question that doesn't really have to do with the show: what are those kinds of gloves/sleeves that partially cover the hand and are fastened around a finger called?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Motto posted:

rando question that doesn't really have to do with the show: what are those kinds of gloves/sleeves that partially cover the hand and are fastened around a finger called?

I don't know if they have a name aside from long sleeves with finger loops, or arm warmers

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Knorth posted:

I don't know if they have a name aside from long sleeves with finger loops, or arm warmers

I've seen some call them bridal gauntlets, but I dunno if that's accurate outside of actual wedding gowns.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Motto posted:

Tekkou is the term I found.

-e-
Tekkou is the general term for everything covering the back of your hand and forearm.
Gauntlets can be called Tekkou as well.
They were commonly worn by peasants, samurai and monks. Miroku from Inuyasha is also wearing Tekkou.
There are even Nagatekkou, which go up to your shoulder, as seen on Prince Ashitaka in Mononoke Hime and Shichika in Katanagatari.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 26, 2016

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

HellCopter posted:

Some of us, who were innocent bystanders in those days of havoc, have been hiding under our blanket of fear for years.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Lurking Haro posted:

-e-
Tekkou is the general term for everything covering the back of your hand and forearm.
They were commonly worn by peasants, samurai and monks. Miroku from Inuyasha is also wearing Tekkou.
There are even Nagatekkou, which go up to your shoulder, as seen on Prince Ashitaka in Mononoke Hime and Shichika in Katanagatari.

Neat!

I would like to hug this bear :3:

also,

Where is my P4DAN dlc!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

-e-

cool, thanks

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Knorth posted:

Hibiki is rough but pretty sweet, I like her and her voice actor

Poor dumb Machi :kimchi:

I'll never get tired of the Traumatized By Insane Driving trope. Even more so since I came to Japan and found out how REALLY REAL it is. I'm from SoCal and these people terrify me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

wheelgun wielder posted:

Some of us, who were innocent bystanders in those days of havoc, have been hiding under our blanket of fear for years.

Wait. Are you saying you're a closet lolicon, or....?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we dont get hyper sensitive about the existence of children in anime any more, but pedophiles still arent welcome here.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Hey, how about that hilarious bear and that Miko who's bad at video games, huh? Funny stuff.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

DrSunshine posted:

Wait. Are you saying you're a closet lolicon, or....?

Lord God, no! But someone thought I might kind of sorta maybe was, so I was purged with the rest.

I'm going to shut up for another decade or so.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I quite like the manga, but I've not been digging this adaptation as much as some, and these past couple episodes aren't doing my impression of it any favors. There's lots that's good and cute in the show, but both of the last two episodes had parts that made me intensely uncomfortable (dude holding down crying Machi in her underwear, yankee lady beating on her repeatedly), which is not at all what I want from a SoL show. I'm giving it one more episode to win me back.

Also, though the ED is very good, it's cute visuals and cute song don't particularly match. They don't even dance during the "Kumamiko dancing" part!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Every page it's always something with this thread.

Honestly, this is probably a subject that's more prickly than it needs to be in part, both parts, thanks to the Zorak era. We're in a period of equal but opposite reactions and overreactions. On the one hand, there are certainly still a few people prone to expressing their discomfort, whether real or perceived, in an overly analytical, overtly judgmental fashion, as though they know better than everyone else and are eager to prove they're not "That" kind of anime fan. On the other, I've seen more than my fair share of ostriches with their heads in the sand, mocking and lashing out against any such pronouncement and those who make it, whether deserved or not, either in defense of something they like ("So it can't be bad") or because it's not their problem ("and lol if it's yours"). The majority of us posting here in this subforum, thankfully, fall somewhere in between and can agree to disagree, or to say our piece and leave it at that, but you still get those occasional battles between the self-loathing and the self-deluded.

Bottom line, if you have a problem with something, please, speak plainly. If someone has a problem with something you don't have a problem with, please, act a little less incredulous.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bad Seafood posted:

the self-loathing and the self-deluded.

but can i be both at the same time

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
ADTRW does not require another mod at this time.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i wish they would give miko sleeves. dont they realize how lascivious tanktops are?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i wish they would give miko sleeves. dont they realize how lascivious tanktops are?

I don't think, the ougi poster can say this!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

She should go to the same store Reimu does and buy some attachable sleeves.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

You know they would be cheap, too.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hiiki's gonna kill everybody before this show ends. :ohdear:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dublish posted:

Hiiki's gonna kill everybody before this show ends. :ohdear:

I really want to see more of kid Hibiki scrapping with the old scary bear

Oh my gosh this show is so weird and Machi is so dense, it's great :3:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Machi and Yoshio are both super dense. At least Natsu knows what's going on.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The A-part was great. Acting as the arbiter between a criminal and a bear is probably the only fun Machi gets to have in that village.

This is where the existing scans run out. Everyone from here is brand new, which I'm happy about.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Machi is as dense as a black hole. And tsundere Natsu is kinda cute.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Machi is as dense as a black hole. And tsundere Natsu is kinda cute.

I think you mean tsunbeare. :colbert:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Some good cute art this week.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013