Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Actually, if you want a pretty apt comparison about what the Ainu are like, you can do worse than the Sami; where especially in Norway where I've read about them, they're visually indistinguishable in many cases from their 'host' nation, are arguably the original inhabitants, their religion has been persecuted at various times but is now tolerated and while there is some level of bigotry, it's certainly faded now as secularism has gotten more popular in general.

I mean, hell, in Norway for instance, they only recognized them as an indigenous group (which entitled them to special protection) in 1990, so if you have a progressive nation like that loving things up with natives, what do you expect from Japan?

That said, in this case you can deffo make the argument that while the Ainu people were very focused on bears, they certainly weren't the only people to do so; Shinto is an animistic religion as well, as far as I remember there was also some worship on their end towards bears. Though there was very little co-opting of Ainu beliefs, they just evolved naturally as an extension of the worship of nature spirits. Bears are pretty baller after all; you can see the same in the Sibearian and Finno-Ungric Shamanistic traditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread